Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

whats your mpg on RX450h?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-23, 10:48 AM
Roscol
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Varuun
I bought a 2015 RX hybrid last month from the dealership, only getting 17 to 18 miles per gallon. is there anything I should get checked to improve fuel economy?
How many miles have you’ve done since buying?

Mileage is relative to distance and type of driving, I’ve driven 2 miles home after a fuel fill up on a warm day, warmed up engine, all flat, and achieved 50 mpg, and on the other hand, middle of winter, frozen engine to the local store a mile away and gotten only 10 mpg.

Stop and go flat city driving should get you 30mpg, all flat Hwy driving, about 25mpg.
Old 07-17-23, 01:05 PM
Varuun
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok will do. Thanks
Old 07-17-23, 01:08 PM
Varuun
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Roscol
How many miles have you’ve done since buying?

Mileage is relative to distance and type of driving, I’ve driven 2 miles home after a fuel fill up on a warm day, warmed up engine, all flat, and achieved 50 mpg, and on the other hand, middle of winter, frozen engine to the local store a mile away and gotten only 10 mpg.

Stop and go flat city driving should get you 30mpg, all flat Hwy driving, about 25mpg.
it is been two months so around 800 miles.
Old 07-18-23, 07:58 AM
LexusNewbie
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by barbaresh
We just got the hybrid-first fill-up we only got 24.5 mpg-in mostly city driving-
What other mileage numbers are people getting and does mileage improve?

Any tips for driving a hybrid to improve mileage? Does mileage get better as car gets "worn in?"
Just bought our first hybrid - Used 2018 RX450hL with around 44k miles on it. Mostly in cherry condition. As soon as I found the mpg reset button, I reset. It immediately ramped up to around 28 (combined) and we've had it about 2 months. Currently it's showing around 32.2 mpg based on my getting to "learn" how to get the most out of the car, but the result appears to be discharge of the hybrid battery more quickly (even with the AC off....). So all good so far but am learning the EV mode is extremely limited: best in our residential neighborhood and tooling around in parking lots looking for a spot.....AFTER a relatively long drive in Normal or ECO mode. Have yet to even use/try Sport mode. AND, we live in the Chicago area so getting around especially with traffic lights is sometimes torture. We have red light days and green light days, meaning sometimes we wind up at EVERY stoplight and sometimes we get green . . . "most" of the way.

Last edited by LexusNewbie; 07-18-23 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Had additional thoughts to clarify response
Old 07-18-23, 08:05 AM
LexusNewbie
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by CRB
There is nothing more annoying than some jerk practicing "the art of coasting" in front of you in a traffic formation, especially when he (or she) is coasting into a "stale" green light and you know that you're the sap who is going to end up being in the pole position at the subsequent red light.
Agreed to a point . . . my biggest gripes are (a) turn lane/light too short, and (b) why do people stop 1, sometimes 2 car lengths back at a stop light just to fiddle with their cell phones. The latter gripe seems to be getting worse as time goes on.
Old 07-31-23, 06:25 AM
gadiehl
9th Gear

Default Why I get such lousy mileage from my 2013 450h ?

Got a question for this group and would appreciate any best guesses. I have a 2013 450h, bought used in 2015. My mileage has always been lousy -- 22 to 24 mpg, a far cry than the advertised 28 - 30 mpg. Before I consider buying another hybrid, I want to understand why my current mileage is so bad. I've come up with 3 possibilities:

1) There's something wrong with this particular vehicle. The Lexus dealer says everything is working fine, although one has to wonder why the original owner got rid of it within 2 years.

2) My driving style: I feel I drive relatively conservatively, I always got the rated mileage for my gas engine cars. However, I have not dramatically changed my driving style for the hybrid. I'm not a coasting wizard and I don't take 10+ seconds to reach 60 mph when entering a highway. Use AC in summer, heater in the winter

3) My location: I live in a hilly area. Almost anywhere I go, I'm going up and down at least 300 - 400 feet in elevation, often rather steeply where the Hybrid System Indicator stays in the "Power" range.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you

Old 07-31-23, 07:31 PM
LexusNewbie
3rd Gear

Right now after about 1.5 mo of mixed driving 32. Remember wehave an “L” (long) RX. And it’s been as high as 32.5. Without much eco or ev mode whatsoever.
Old 08-01-23, 08:27 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by gadiehl
Got a question for this group and would appreciate any best guesses. I have a 2013 450h, bought used in 2015. My mileage has always been lousy -- 22 to 24 mpg, a far cry than the advertised 28 - 30 mpg. Before I consider buying another hybrid, I want to understand why my current mileage is so bad. I've come up with 3 possibilities:

1) There's something wrong with this particular vehicle. The Lexus dealer says everything is working fine, although one has to wonder why the original owner got rid of it within 2 years.

2) My driving style: I feel I drive relatively conservatively, I always got the rated mileage for my gas engine cars. However, I have not dramatically changed my driving style for the hybrid. I'm not a coasting wizard and I don't take 10+ seconds to reach 60 mph when entering a highway. Use AC in summer, heater in the winter

3) My location: I live in a hilly area. Almost anywhere I go, I'm going up and down at least 300 - 400 feet in elevation, often rather steeply where the Hybrid System Indicator stays in the "Power" range.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you
You are getting about average mpg. There are a few on here getting 30 mpg, but it’s not the average. Check out mpg for your vehicle on Fuelly.com. Toyota has a way of inflating their mpg claims beyond what the average person can achieve. The new Tundra is a prime example. Rarely does anyone get what Toyota claims for their highway mileage. The hybrids really shine in stop & go traffic. If you drive mostly over 40 mph, the hybrid isn’t much benefit. Wind & hills are also a large factor.
Old 08-17-23, 09:22 AM
Xennial
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
You are getting about average mpg. There are a few on here getting 30 mpg, but it’s not the average. Check out mpg for your vehicle on Fuelly.com. Toyota has a way of inflating their mpg claims beyond what the average person can achieve. The new Tundra is a prime example. Rarely does anyone get what Toyota claims for their highway mileage. The hybrids really shine in stop & go traffic. If you drive mostly over 40 mph, the hybrid isn’t much benefit. Wind & hills are also a large factor.
I have a 2012 RX450, and just recently the car has had a drop of fuel economy from 27 mpg to 24. Might not seem significant. but I notice it. Especially after I fuel up. The only changes I have made is that the 12 V battery in the rear died back in April, so I replaced it. I changed the oil last month. Perhaps I overfilled it? I got the spark plugs changed a couple years ago. So I don't know what could be causing this.