Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Dashboard layout with NO NAV

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-10, 06:13 AM
sleepysurf
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dashboard layout with NO NAV

I've (finally) got my RX450h on order, specifically configured without the NAV option (as I wanted to take advantage of more rapidly evolving after-market GPS technology). I presume the NAV-less dashboard substitutes a simple monochrome informational display in place of the color NAV screen. However, I can't find any pics of that actual configuration. Does anybody here have a NAV-less 450h, or know what the difference is vs. the NAV layout? I presume the center dashboard won't accommodate a "bean bag" GPS mount, and I'll need to use a windshield mount.
Old 04-12-10, 06:54 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

sleepysurf, here is a page explaining what is displayed on the non-nav version from the owner's manual. If you are registered on Lexus.com, you can add the 450h and view the voluminous owner's manual before you get yours. I did this to help cut down on the learning curve when I got mine. Good luck.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
download-owners-manual[2].pdf (381.8 KB, 291 views)

Last edited by kitlz; 04-12-10 at 06:54 AM. Reason: edit
Old 04-12-10, 07:34 AM
sleepysurf
Driver

Thanks Anita! Great resource! Too bad I can't d/l the entire manual <g>.
Old 04-12-10, 09:12 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Believe me you can download enough to keep you busy for a while
Old 04-12-10, 07:44 PM
oscqc
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The main manual for the 450h is 680 pages. The Navigation Manual is another 400 pages. There is also a third manual - a sort of Reader's Digest version of the others - that is a mere 78 pages. My vehicle came in a few days before I was planning to take delivery and I borrowed the three manuals from the dealer for a few days. I belive I read the short manual 6 times before I was confident enough to drive the new vehicle and not kill anyone. They repeatedly emphasize in all of the manuals that you have to be very careful near pedestrians and intersections and crosswalks etc. because they cannot hear the electric motor. I have also noticed that this is true in parking lots.

I suggest that you consider reading the manuals - or at least the short one - before you take delivery. Your dealer should co-operate.

Incidentally, the manuals need editing. Many of the cross-references to other pages in the manuals are simply incorrect.

Enjoy your new vehicle.
Old 04-12-10, 09:13 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

the screen without nav is fine, much like what the 1 gen RX. however, IMO, the place where the remote touch controller would be is where it looks bad. Its just some sort of coin holder in the shape of the remote touch controller.
Old 05-03-10, 08:36 AM
sleepysurf
Driver

The NO NAV option worked out great for me. I mounted my (current) Garmin GPS on the "ledge" of the inset LCD screen using one of the small flat plastic round adhesive disc mounts, which accommodates the GPS suction mount. There is no interference with the LCD display, and the front passenger can also access it. I'll be able to upgrade to the latest GPS device whenever I want!

In addition, I'm going to attach my Palm Pre Touchstone charger to the flat console tray that replaces the NAV mouse control. I'll just get in the car, drop my phone onto the magnetic Touchstone, and my phone will charge while offering hands-free talk and streaming music!

I'll post a pic of the Touchstone setup too, once installed.
Attached Thumbnails Dashboard layout with NO NAV-rx450hgarmin-medium-.jpg  
Old 05-03-10, 09:24 AM
RXSF

!!! I notice that you have the radio presets in the form of dash buttons! I hate how they are deleted from the dash if you get nav
Old 05-03-10, 10:36 AM
sleepysurf
Driver

Originally Posted by RXSF
!!! I notice that you have the radio presets in the form of dash buttons! I hate how they are deleted from the dash if you get nav
Hah, yet another good reason to skip the NAV!

My only complaint with the non-NAV dash is that all the plastic buttons feel very cheap. My old '00 RX 300 dash controls had a much heftier feel, and the interior was also richer with the pleated leather door panels. Looks like Lexus has "sold out" somewhat pursuing higher profits!
Old 05-03-10, 02:30 PM
RXSF

the price of the RX just hasnt gone up, and its a lot of car for the money, which is why it is often categorized as "near luxury"

it probably costs a lot more to make a car now than it did in 1998
Old 05-03-10, 03:59 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

sleepysurf, that's a lot of buttons! My ML system looks plain compared to yours. But I couldn't live without the nav screen.
Attached Thumbnails Dashboard layout with NO NAV-get-attachment.aspx.jpg  
Old 05-03-10, 05:06 PM
sleepysurf
Driver

Originally Posted by kitlz
sleepysurf, that's a lot of buttons! My ML system looks plain compared to yours. But I couldn't live without the nav screen.
I'm surprised by all the differences between the NAV and NON-NAV dash. At least you get a very visible CLOCK in the dash panel! Mine is located in the Mono display, and tends to get lost with everything else displayed there. Oh well, six of one, half dozen of the other!
Attached Thumbnails Dashboard layout with NO NAV-dash-medium-.jpg  
Old 05-03-10, 05:19 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

The clock is kind of low. Would be nice if it was a higher. And I wish I had some of your climate control buttons. But I agree, it's not worth nitpicking over.
Old 05-04-10, 05:46 PM
oscqc
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clock display

Sleepysurf:

Perhaps my eyes are failing me, but I could not see a clock display anywhere on the dash photo you posted.

As Anita's photo showed, it is at the bottom of the display if you have the crummy NAV system.

On my last Audi, not only was there a great Nav system, but the clock display also showed the date.
Old 05-04-10, 06:35 PM
sleepysurf
Driver

Here's a closeup view. I've since turned my LCD display brightness to the max, so it's a little more visible, but still poorly implemented IMHO.
Attached Thumbnails Dashboard layout with NO NAV-clock.jpg  

Quick Reply: Dashboard layout with NO NAV