Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 3GS forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation GS models.

Gas or electric power at startup?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-10, 10:18 AM
Coolpop
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Gas or electric power at startup?

Since I don't have the manuals yet, maybe somebody could answer this for me.

I've been told that the hybrid uses electric power up to 12 mph. Most times when I start the ignition, it is very silent and runs on the battery. Sometimes the gas engine revs up. I don't get it. Does this happen to any other 450h owners and can someone explain to me?

Thanks.
Old 04-14-10, 10:26 AM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Coolpop

I've been told that the hybrid uses electric power up to 12 mph. Most times when I start the ignition, it is very silent and runs on the battery. Sometimes the gas engine revs up. I don't get it. Does this happen to any other 450h owners and can someone explain to me?

Thanks.
I have had a 2004 Prius and now a 2006 RX400h both hybrid it is normal when you start up to be on battery briefly then gas and battery together. The reason is you have to warm up the engine and the catalytic converter.Now dependent on how heavy a foot you have coming from a stop will determine whether you start on electric or both.
Old 04-14-10, 10:30 AM
Coolpop
Driver

What I'm saying is that there are plenty of times when I start the ignition and it is just battery. I will back out of my garage or back out of a parking space and it stays on battery only. Some mornings the gas engine starts right up. It's as though there is no rhyme or reason as to why the gas engine turns on at random startups. That's all I meant, is that it's confusing me as to why 75% of my startups are battery only and 25% are gas engine. I assumed it would be one way or the other. Is that normal?
Old 04-21-10, 11:09 AM
sucka
Rookie

I also get both. But on a cold startup, it's always the gas engine and it's LOUD. I notice when i just drove it, turned off, and after the electric engine shuts down, restart the car, it will be very silent and electric.
Old 04-21-10, 11:24 AM
Coolpop
Driver

OK that makes sense. Luckily, though, mine isn't loud at all at gas engine startup.
Old 04-21-10, 05:35 PM
Mike450h
Driver

Originally Posted by Coolpop

Thanks.
In the morning when you start the car...most time the V6 will start, once warm and sure the battery's are charged, it will run on electric power anytime you are under 25 mph, meaning electric power up to 25 mph V6 will kick in right at 25 mph. the only time after that during the day the V6 will start is if the battery is low.

Hope that helps.