Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Dynamic Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-10, 01:35 PM
HowardOR
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dynamic Cruise Control

Today while driving at 55mph with dynamic cruise engaged, a truck slowed in front of me. He drove slightly to the left and then turned right to exit. My car slowed to match his decreasing speed but just as I decelerated to about 30 mph the braking stopped and the car attempted to resume to the original 55mph on it's own(the truck still in my path). I immediately stepped on the brake to keep from colliding with the truck. No collison, only a reaquantance with a very rapid heart rate.

Is the dynamic cruise supposed to cease functioning if it slows the vehicle to a set speed and then accelerate if an object remains in your path?

Howard
Old 04-19-10, 02:43 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

are you saying the truck veered to one side to prepare for the exit and the RX sped up before the truck exited? If this is the case,then most likely the radar couldnt see the truck anymore since it was no longer in the center of the lane. The car must have thought that the truck had exited already
Old 04-19-10, 02:44 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by HowardOR
Today while driving at 55mph with dynamic cruise engaged, a truck slowed in front of me. He drove slightly to the left and then turned right to exit. My car slowed to match his decreasing speed but just as I decelerated to about 30 mph the braking stopped and the car attempted to resume to the original 55mph on it's own(the truck still in my path). I immediately stepped on the brake to keep from colliding with the truck. No collison, only a reaquantance with a very rapid heart rate.

Is the dynamic cruise supposed to cease functioning if it slows the vehicle to a set speed and then accelerate if an object remains in your path?

Howard
Because he drove to the left, then right the system probably saw him as 'gone' and resumed. I'm sure there are some disclaimers somewhere as to how much trust to give it. That's my best guess. Your alertness won .
Old 04-19-10, 03:13 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Howard, glad you're ok.

Dynamic laser cruise control only engages at speeds above 30 mph. Not sure if the opposite is true when the vehicle slows down to 30 mph or below. And it doesn't explain your acceleration with the truck in front of you. Did you happen to see what was displayed on the instrument panel (i.e. showing that dynamic laser cruise control was working)?
Old 04-19-10, 03:24 PM
HowardOR
Driver School Candidate

The truck veered slightly to the left similar to pulling into a tight parking space and then exited right. The truck as well as my RX slowed to aproximately 30 (sorry, didn't have time to pay attention to the display). My RX then accelerated in an attempt to resume speed before the major portion of 18 wheeler's trailer cleared out of my straight path. Had I not manually braked hard, I would have collided with the rear passenger side of the trailer in front of his rear-most tire.
Old 04-19-10, 04:02 PM
RXSF

If it was a trailer, there also may have been some interference with a reflection of the sun from the metallic parts. There could be a lot of variables, from the car thinking that the truck was gone, or light reflection.

If the speed drops below 30, the cruise is supposed to cancel on its own and possible beep at you
Old 04-19-10, 04:40 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Wow, sounds pretty scary. I'm wondering if the higher clearance of the truck or the distance setting had something to do with it

I've only used the dynamic laser cruise control once and it worked as expected. But I turned it off after a few miles because the roads are too congested by me. I'll have to give it a try again.
Old 04-19-10, 05:11 PM
HowardOR
Driver School Candidate

RXSF:

No sun reflection, as it was overcast today. However, the other part of your response is precisely what I'd like to understand," the car thinking the truck was gone." If the presence of an object is determined by radar suffiently fast to calculate its speed, and adjust the RX speed, then why would it not reaquire the last 25% of the trailer and react accordingly. My guess is that it ceases reacting below 30mph, and if this is so can lead to a very dangerous situation -- as exemplified by what happened to me.
Old 04-19-10, 05:15 PM
HowardOR
Driver School Candidate

BTW: I was on hold with Lexus customer care for over 2 hours when I just gave up. I suspect the recalls have them busy. I'll talk with a couple of dealer service reps in a few days. I thought a heads-up for those who have the radar cruise was in order.
Old 04-19-10, 09:24 PM
RXSF

howard, to clarify, you said that your car started to speed up again.

My guess is that it ceases reacting below 30mph
it is supposed to stop working at 30 mph, neither braking nor acelerating. If this was the case, then the car is acting normally. If its the earlier one, then something went wrong. But im sure Lexus has every possible scenario covered in the footnotes of the cruise control section.
Old 04-20-10, 02:42 PM
wyau01
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This was one of the reason I didn't get this dynamic cruise control. I don't trust it at all. If the radar didn't get a response from its signal, then it won't work. Just like you hit a ball into a gap of a wall, and nothing bounce back.
Old 05-05-10, 06:34 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wyau01
This was one of the reason I didn't get this dynamic cruise control. I don't trust it at all. If the radar didn't get a response from its signal, then it won't work. Just like you hit a ball into a gap of a wall, and nothing bounce back.
We have dynamic/radar cruise on both cars (my LS40L and my wife's RX450h) and we love it. In fact, I will never buy another car without this option. It is SO much more comfortable/relaxing driving with this feature on the highway. Obviously, one always has to concentrate and keep your eyes on the road for any contingency plans.
Old 05-12-10, 08:43 PM
Cough
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife's car (Jaguar XK) has dynamic cruise and I love it. Anyone know if there is any aftermarket capabilty to add it to my 2010 RX350?
Old 05-12-10, 11:53 PM
RXSF

^^ i think thats impossible