Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 3GS forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation GS models.

Question for my 450h brothers

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-10 | 09:00 PM
GSh
Driver School Candidate

+1 for normal battery capacity - it is the same for me. Drains down to 1-2 purple bars during bumper-to-bumper traffic, and can go back to blue quickly after the traffic begins to move. I see this every single day.

Coolpop - I also had some episodes with alignment with my dealer when I first got my car. First they said it was loose tie rod - and after 2 trips they ran out of excuses. After leaving the car with them for 2 days just for alignment purposes, it has been good since. Not sure what they actually did, but I didn't pay for it. Hope it turns out good for you.

Best thing is to look for the new battery they have supposedly replaced and see if that is indeed new. I don't think they should lie about those things. 450h have several batteries, and one of those could have held your settings.
Old 05-16-10 | 04:23 AM
Coolpop
Driver

Hmmmm. After they said the alignment was done and "within specs", the car still pulled to the right. I asked them if the alignment had been performed and they said of course it had and the tech had driven it, tracked straight, blah blah blah. When I told them no, it didn't, they supposedly aligned it again and now it's fine. I really wonder how much of the work that they say is performed really actually is.

I'm gonna read the manual and check the batteries today and if none of them look new, I'm gonna raise hell tomorrow.
Old 05-16-10 | 04:34 AM
DunWkg
Racer

In 8 months i've seen purple once and only seen full twice, but I rarely am in bumper to bumper traffic. Does go up and down but not like you describe.
Good luck with the dealer.
Old 05-16-10 | 07:16 AM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Absolutely, in stop and go very slow traffic the battery will drain fast. 450h has enough capacity to go only about 1 mile on battery alone. But in regular driving at normal speeds on the highway or local roads you should never see the battery drain completely.
Old 05-16-10 | 10:53 AM
Coolpop
Driver

What I've seen is that if the battery gets low then the gas engine will kick on and start charging the hybrid battery. Seems like that makes sense too.