Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Impressive passing power

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-10, 10:22 AM
scchen
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impressive passing power

I got my wife a CPO RX400H last week. I was really glad we got the 400H for the overall feel and quality. Also, the MPG we are getting out of the vehicle is really close to EPA claimed numbers. One item i never realize was the performance of the vehicle. I saw few people on the forum talked about the decent performance from this vehicle, but i never expect it to be more than adequate.

So this my story. This past weekend i was heading south on 605 driving in the carpool lane cruising at 75MPH with cruise control. I was keeping up with the pace of the rest of the traffic, and there is another car ahead of me in about 10 car's length. So i thought that was a fair distance to be safe while on cruise control. Few minutes into the car pool lane i looked at my rear view a silver Dodge charger coming fast at great speed, but i disregarded him. He kept on my tail really tight for good 5 mins, and he exited the carpool lane trying to get ahead of me. Unfortunately for him the flow of traffic did not allow him to pass me. So I am still in the carpool lane cruising at 75MPH, and he came back in to carpool lane again. This time he is 2 cars behind me, and we drove at this pace for another few mins. I wanted to remind you i was not hogging the lane, and there was another car in front of me about 10 car's length and i am slowly closing in on him. He finally got the opportunity to jump out of car pool lane with double yellow lines, and cut in front of me. So he thought it would be funny to stepped on the brakes to slow us down from 75MPH to 50MPH real quick. He constantly stepped on the brakes just to toy with me. Usually, i would just disregard the immature behavior with these drivers. It got to a point it was dangerous, and i decided to jump out the car pool lane and go on my way. When i made the move to leave the carpool lane he decided to cut me off again, and at that moment I decided just to give him a little run. So I gave the RX a push on the gas pedal but not completely floored the gas, and the RX propel like a little rocket. All i can see and hear that silver Dodge charger with "modified" exhaust trying to keep up and gradually fade away with 10 car's length. When i looked at my speedometer i was easily moving at 100MPH, and I still got 26MPG with that trip on the freeway.

Even though this RX will be my wife's car I know i made the right decision to purchase this vehicle. I apologize for the long winded story. Just wanted to share my experience with our newly acquired RX400H.
Old 05-03-10, 10:46 AM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You and the car had that much space (10 car''s length ) to begin with why don't you just let the Dodge pass and could have avoid all these frustration.
Old 05-03-10, 05:29 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 191 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by mowmow
You and the car had that much space (10 car''s length ) to begin with why don't you just let the Dodge pass and could have avoid all these frustration.
screen name says all bro..
Old 05-03-10, 05:42 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 169 Likes on 143 Posts

Stupid on the Charger's part. In a carpool lane nonetheless. Guess it wasn't a hemi. What a loser wannabe muscle car.

Some people stop a little further back from my 450h at lights I assume to go around me when the light turns. It's like they think my RX doesn't have power. Wrong!
Old 05-03-10, 05:46 PM
Maverick16
Driver School Candidate

I'm constantly impressed with the performance I get out of my 400h, as is anyone who drives with me. I'm a volunteer EMT back home (paid at school) and thus I've got some lights hidden away in the car and it always performs well when I really want it to.

I also put a lot of highway miles on it, driving back and forth to college for breaks and such. I tend to not drive slow, and this car can get up there in speed pretty quick, and handles well getting through the traffic.
Old 05-04-10, 10:53 AM
scchen
Driver School Candidate

To mowmow,
I don't want take this topic off tangent here, but i will provide a little more detail on the "conditions" on that drive. I guess to let him pass me will be "ethically" correct. On that day when ever i get to carpool lane exit there were traffic out side of carpool lane. It means i had to merge into traffic and get myself in stuck "traffic". I guess when you spent some time in LA driving you become more "self centered" because everyone else don't care. That is another long topic and i am not getting into. Again, I was not going "slow" because i was catching up to the car in front of me from 10 cars length to 5 cars length. After 2 carpool lane exits the traffic freed up a bit that is when he cross the double yellow line to pass me.

My point is we all run into the same situation in carpool lane, and I do get frustrated at times when a person cruise 65MPH in car pool lane in front of me. I don't pull a stunt like the Dodge charger which can impact the rest of the drivers on the freeway. If i didn't move out of the way there could of been multi car accident. I am not frustrated at that person. I am over it but he almost impacted multiple people's live on the freeway that day.

BTW- That Charger had a sticker on its rear window "Team Mutant", and it had Hemi and 24" Dub logo. The car didn't have 24" on it, and it is definitely not a HEMI. Very lame.
Old 05-04-10, 10:22 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You are right the dumb charger was entirely at fault. One thing I learn driving the 400h is not to drive aggressive as I used to in order to get better gas mileage hence these days if people are tailgating me, I just let them pass, I got better things to do like taking care of my 16 months old son.

Trending Topics

Old 05-05-10, 03:47 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Wow my blood pressure would be off the charts if I was in your position. I cant believe he did a brake check on you. to be fair, 10 car lengths is quite a big gap, but 75 is more than adequate to stay on the car pool lane.

If someone tries to cut me off and I think I am driving fast enough (and I usually am), I usually just floor it when they cut over.