Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

2009 side bumper strips on 2010 450h?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-10, 09:48 AM
ChitChat
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my door moldings put on at the time of delivery of my car. I believe I paid $550. I had no idea that Lexus didn't make them and later found out they were put on by an outside body shop.

The only way I found out was because when I brought my car in for the 1,000 mile checkup, I was chatting with the guy in charge of detailing the cars. When he saw my moldings he took me to the side and told me I should complain about them because they were cut. You could tell the ends were cut on an angle and didn't have a smooth, rounded finish like other cars on the lot and he also said they look very short. So I did complain, but then the salesperson took me around the lot pointing out that all the 2010 models with moldings were the same and only the other years were from the manufacturer with the nice finished edges. The detail guy wasn't happy with that answer and told me I shouldn't settle for that, but I did. Also, it looks like they glued the molding on the car and then moved it back and I can see a shadow of glue for a few inches after the molding. I was told they don't use glue, they use some kind of tape, so it's not possible the mark is from that. But it's still there after several washings!

For those of you who have door moldings, are yours cut on an angle?
Old 05-13-10, 10:13 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ChitChat
I had my door moldings put on at the time of delivery of my car. I believe I paid $550. I had no idea that Lexus didn't make them and later found out they were put on by an outside body shop.

The only way I found out was because when I brought my car in for the 1,000 mile checkup, I was chatting with the guy in charge of detailing the cars. When he saw my moldings he took me to the side and told me I should complain about them because they were cut. You could tell the ends were cut on an angle and didn't have a smooth, rounded finish like other cars on the lot and he also said they look very short. So I did complain, but then the salesperson took me around the lot pointing out that all the 2010 models with moldings were the same and only the other years were from the manufacturer with the nice finished edges. The detail guy wasn't happy with that answer and told me I shouldn't settle for that, but I did. Also, it looks like they glued the molding on the car and then moved it back and I can see a shadow of glue for a few inches after the molding. I was told they don't use glue, they use some kind of tape, so it's not possible the mark is from that. But it's still there after several washings!

For those of you who have door moldings, are yours cut on an angle?
The outside shop installer told me that the universal roll moldings are cut.He only installed custom fit moldings for dealers.
The moldings Lexus ordered through this company were custom fit.I was there when the package was opened so they weren't cut from a roll.
You can tell if the moldings are cut from a roll.The area cut would be black and maybe touched up with the same color touchup paint.
As far as any glue,the moldings have double sided tape.No glue should be used.
The moldings Lexus ordered for me had instructions and small plastic bottle of adhesive promoter to apply before sticking the molding on.
I'd definitely complain if I were you..
Old 05-13-10, 11:24 AM
1NEAT_SC
Pole Position

ChitChat, I just received mine and the end (pointed end) is slightly rounded not angled on all four. The long one is cut flat on the longer one and the shorter one is angled like 45 degrees. Mine is Red Matador metallic like. All have a smooth finish and looks as if they were completely painted after the cutting. They look good and at this point I don't see a problem with them. They have two sided 3M tape on each of them. That's it. No adhesive promoter or instructions.

Does anyone have the suggested measurements for installation?

lar
Old 05-13-10, 11:52 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1NEAT_SC
ChitChat, I just received mine and the end (pointed end) is slightly rounded not angled on all four. The long one is cut flat on the longer one and the shorter one is angled like 45 degrees. Mine is Red Matador metallic like. All have a smooth finish and looks as if they were completely painted after the cutting. They look good and at this point I don't see a problem with them. They have two sided 3M tape on each of them. That's it. No adhesive promoter or instructions.

Does anyone have the suggested measurements for installation?

lar
That's odd,Lar.Are you sure that the moldings are made by Dawn?
Did they come nicely packaged in a cylinder with moldings covered with a burlap type cloth?
This from their website.

"All of our Painted Body Side Moldings are manufactured to the exact vehicle specifications and come with factory-formed ends. Each 4-piece molding kit comes complete with installation instructions, Pro-Clean Prep Pads, and Pro-Bond Adhesive Promoter, making the installation quick and easy."

http://www.dawn-ent.com/bodyside/bodysidemain.htm

I just measured mine and the front piece(at the front tip) is 14.5" from the painted area on just above the black vinyl rocker piece if front and 15.25" high in back(at the rear tip).
This a measured from the TOP of the molding down.
Make a mark and add blue painters tape to just above the marks and stick on the molding right under the tape.
Old 05-13-10, 12:09 PM
1NEAT_SC
Pole Position

Joeb, Thanks for the measurements... wife has the vehicle right now so I'll have to put them on tomorrow. (If I can get her to leave it)

I ordered mine from SpoilerDepot so that probably explains why yours were shipped differently and with instructions. I believe it was Amhurst, NY where they came from. I've looked these over pretty good and I absolutely see no problem with the way they look so don't really expect a problem getting them on either.

Thanks,

lar
Old 05-18-10, 07:05 PM
sleepysurf
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got my Dawn Enterprises side bumper strips in Matador Red mica... packaging was superb, color is perfect, and the ends are smoothly beveled and finished. Mine also came with the instructions and tube of adhesive promoter. The detailed instructions for the RX 350/450h can be d/l here... http://www.dawn-ent.com/install/fe-rx.pdf

The installation looks pretty easy, but I'm working all weekend, so won't be able to install them for another week or so.
Old 05-18-10, 07:29 PM
wyau01
Lead Lap

The hardest part for this mod is to line up the strips. I got lazy and didn't do the install, all parts are still sitting in the house. Let me know how it goes, or if you have any tips.
Old 05-19-10, 05:06 AM
1NEAT_SC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by wyau01
The hardest part for this mod is to line up the strips. I got lazy and didn't do the install, all parts are still sitting in the house. Let me know how it goes, or if you have any tips.
I used a red lazer straight to shoot a line across. Measuring the distances as suggested. Actually, a piece of cake. I had plenty of time, but only could drag it out for about 30 minutes. (-: Other than that...be sure you put at least 1/8" between the back and front door. They get pretty close when the rear door is opened.

good luck!!

lar
Old 05-19-10, 05:14 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

I used a red lazer straight to shoot a line across. Measuring the distances as suggested. Actually, a piece of cake. I had plenty of time, but only could drag it out for about 30 minutes. (-: Other than that...be sure you put at least 1/8" between the back and front door. They get pretty close when the rear door is opened.

good luck!!

lar

A laser line,lar.
Nice!
Old 05-19-10, 05:18 AM
1NEAT_SC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Joeb427
A laser line,lar.
Nice!
10-4...laser line........ It's called a Laser Straight if you want to buy one lol... Guess I should have said line...makes more sense.

What else are we going to do? (-:

lar
Old 05-19-10, 05:32 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

10-4...laser line........ It's called a Laser Straight if you want to buy one lol... Guess I should have said line...makes more sense.

What else are we going to do? (-:

lar
I have one of those older lasers but for walls and has pins and not the reusable adhesive.
Old 05-19-10, 08:33 AM
wyau01
Lead Lap

I wonder how well the laser works if your car is red color. Good tip:-)
Old 05-19-10, 08:42 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by wyau01
I wonder how well the laser works if your car is red color. Good tip:-)
Must be pretty good.
Lar RX is red.
Old 05-27-10, 06:05 PM
oscqc
Rookie

Default Side Bumper stips for 2010 RX450h

I had my dealer install side bumper strips on my 2010 RX450h today. Cost was C$145 plus C$99 for one hour's labour to install, plus, of course, the inevitable taxes, which raised the total to C$275.

I thought that the dealer would use the same strips used on the 2009 RX 350.

Instead, he obtained somewhat narrower strips from Lexus, which he said were designed for the 2010 350. Anyway, they look great. They are black and hard to detect against the black paint.

Last edited by oscqc; 06-05-10 at 04:38 PM.
Old 05-30-10, 10:50 AM
sleepysurf
Driver

Installed my door guards yesterday... pretty easy, once you get the tape guide straight. My 450h doors came with 1/4" wide clear plastic edge protectors already applied, so I had to install the front door strips a bit more forward than suggested. I was also a bit perplexed on which way the front (and rear) angle bevels were supposed to go, so picked the direction I thought looked best. Pretty trivial regardless. Only caveat is to apply the Pro-Bond adhesive promoter on all the doors as soon as you "crush" it, as it evaporates from the applicator very fast. All in all, they were easy to install, and look great. Even though they won't always align with the outermost edge of an adjacent car door, they will certainly prevent some dings! Overall, very impressive product.
Attached Thumbnails 2009 side bumper strips on 2010 450h?-door1-small-.jpg   2009 side bumper strips on 2010 450h?-door2-small-.jpg  

Quick Reply: 2009 side bumper strips on 2010 450h?