Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 3GS forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation GS models.

test drove it...but unsure about hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-10, 05:48 PM
airlaird
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Default test drove it...but unsure about hesitation

Well I have lurked on this list for a year now and I finally drove the 450h.
I gotta say..it pulls like an english schoolboy...however, I noticed as well as the salesman, there was a hesitation in my off-the -line acceleration test.
He claimed it was the battery switching to gas mode (maybe i have that backwards). Anyway, it was certainly there everytime I came to a stop...and punched it.
Are you guys getting the same lag?
airlaird
Old 05-10-10, 07:58 PM
Coolpop
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out my thread. I posed the same question because I noticed a hesitation as well. No biggie to me, I love this car.
Old 05-11-10, 04:50 AM
airlaird
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Hmmm....the sound of crickets ;-). So no one in this forum has noticed it but you?
Interesting. Anyway, it certainly is no deal breaker I just have never read anything about that...it was an awessome ride.
airlaird
Old 05-11-10, 08:25 AM
Coolpop
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I test drove another and it had the same 1 second hesitation before the juice really kicked in. Even the certified Hybrid tech at the dealership told me it's normal. Like you, I don't understand why nobody else seems to notice it, but it does seem to be completely normal.
Old 05-18-10, 01:08 PM
sucka
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by airlaird
Hmmm....the sound of crickets ;-). So no one in this forum has noticed it but you?
Interesting. Anyway, it certainly is no deal breaker I just have never read anything about that...it was an awessome ride.
airlaird

Not just you two...me too. Except i get a the lag + the catchup when i let go of the peddle. Sorta like a mini-flare up of acceleration. But not a big deal. So I've had this car, used, for 6 months now. And I like it less and less each day. Paint is horrendous, my wife has a Camry that feels more solid. The interior feels like it's 4-5 separate pieces held together on hinges so it creaks on roads that are anything less than freshly paved.
Old 05-18-10, 01:23 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sucka
Not just you two...me too. Except i get a the lag + the catchup when i let go of the peddle. Sorta like a mini-flare up of acceleration. But not a big deal. So I've had this car, used, for 6 months now. And I like it less and less each day. Paint is horrendous, my wife has a Camry that feels more solid. The interior feels like it's 4-5 separate pieces held together on hinges so it creaks on roads that are anything less than freshly paved.
lexus is well known for their soft paint, lots of complaints about that if you do a search. ditto with the creaks and squeeks, mainly due to the dash rattle problem (also well documented here).

my advice regarding the dash rattles, bring your GS450h to the dealer for warranty work. there is a TSIB for this. IF your car is out of warranty, ask the dealer to do this for you under goodwill. or complain to corporate lexus until they agree to do this for you. good luck!
Old 05-18-10, 08:29 PM
LexFather

The hesitation is with all Lexus except maybe the IS F and LFA. It has to do with the electronic throttle. After 2000 or so the GS went from a direct throttle to an electronic one and people have always said there is a "delay".

Also take off the traction control if you want to floor it. The button is by the heated/cooled seats.
Old 05-18-10, 11:25 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i can't say about the lfa (probably none), but even on the isf i feel a bit lag still between flooring it and it starts to take off. much better than the gs in general of course.

but it's kind of like something you get used to. once you are used to it, you can have better time management on when to floor and the car will respond the way you want
Old 06-14-10, 10:27 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by airlaird
Well I have lurked on this list for a year now and I finally drove the 450h.
I gotta say..it pulls like an english schoolboy...however, I noticed as well as the salesman, there was a hesitation in my off-the -line acceleration test.
He claimed it was the battery switching to gas mode (maybe i have that backwards). Anyway, it was certainly there everytime I came to a stop...and punched it.
Are you guys getting the same lag?
airlaird
This came from Autoweek today in my email http://www.autoweek.com/article/2010...IEWS/100619935 . Unfortunately their editors noticed it as well but they're biggest gripe was that the steering (to them) felt 'over boosted'.

And no one has explained to their editors yet that Hybrid isn't always just for fuel economy. It can be tuned as in your GS (h) for power. They were griping that it only got 23 MPG.

Oh well, they're just auto mag editors, what should they know anyway .

They didn't like my RX 450h either but they didn't pay for it so.....
I did, and I like it just fine