Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

LED headlight picture request :]

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-10, 01:02 AM
spoon808
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking LED headlight picture request :]

Hi guys, I have a favor to ask of you if you'd be so kind to spare some time for me. I fiddle with car lights on my spare time and I like to learn about them in depth. I know that the new rx350's bixenon lights are one of the best headlights you can get equipped on a car nowadays, but Im very curious about the LED headlights equipped on the hybrid version. I haven't gotten the chance to examine these in person.

What I'm trying to get at is, to better help me understand them, would you guys be willing to take a set of clear, specific high-res pictures for me?

I need pictures showing the the overall beam of the headlight on a flat surface/wall like so: (all of my examples will use an ls600's)
**best of you could include as much of the width of the beam as possible**

Also, can I have shots that show each individual aspect of the headlight's contribution to the overall combined beam? like:

Parabolic reflector:

Diffused projector beam: (blue dot designates which projector beam the pattern belongs to)

Focused projector beam: (blue dot designates which projector the beam pattern belongs to)

If you guys pull through I'd be GREATLY appreciated for your kindness :]

edit: for kicks, I'd like to present you with how amazingly WIDE the ls600's LED headlights look on the road:

Last edited by spoon808; 06-17-10 at 06:42 PM.
Old 06-15-10, 08:19 PM
spoon808
Rookie

please guys!
Old 06-15-10, 11:47 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I just traded in my 600 which I owned for two years. Frankly, I was disappointed with the LED headlights - they are only marginally better than standard halogen lights. Prior to the 600, I owned a 460 for 16 months, and those HIDs were superior by far to the LEDs. Since I now own the RX 350, I am now pleased to have the HIDs once more, as these are the same as the 460. I wrote extensively comparing the two, from both a spread and luminosity. I came to the conclusion that LEDs are in the initial stages of development, and still have a long way to go, and for me anyway they are a fashion statement with lots of wow factor, but little else...
Old 06-16-10, 12:59 AM
spoon808
Rookie

yeah they were in its initial phase for the 600's production, but the newer system in the rx/hs/ct/prius/sai hybrids are supposed to be more efficient, so it just sparks my curiosity.

Im just curious about width, uniformity, foreground lighting (as well as distance) and the mechanics (which projector contributes to what section of the beam. etc)

Im in college studying to become an engineer to improve such things.
Old 06-17-10, 04:00 PM
Fogcutter
Driver

Originally Posted by Johnny
I just traded in my 600 which I owned for two years. Frankly, I was disappointed with the LED headlights - they are only marginally better than standard halogen lights. Prior to the 600, I owned a 460 for 16 months, and those HIDs were superior by far to the LEDs. Since I now own the RX 350, I am now pleased to have the HIDs once more, as these are the same as the 460. I wrote extensively comparing the two, from both a spread and luminosity. I came to the conclusion that LEDs are in the initial stages of development, and still have a long way to go, and for me anyway they are a fashion statement with lots of wow factor, but little else...
Yep, I agree. LEDs are nice, but HID wumps them as far as lighting the road. That will eventually change.

That said, they work well enough and are better than halogen.

I owned a Benz S class, and talk about ruling the night! Those HIDs were bright enough to light the dark side of the moon. The car had many issues, but the headlights were terrific.
Old 06-17-10, 04:27 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

the LED design is nice however HID's are still far more powerfull.. If the LS600 had 3 HID bulbs fireing all at once per headlight then it would most deff have the best light output car in production.. (of course they gotta redesign the projectors.)
Old 06-17-10, 04:32 PM
spoon808
Rookie

lol the main point of this is that i'm interested in the design of the LED system >.<

but of course HID's are superior for now, in fact again, the rx350 has some REALLY good & thought-out HID headlights.
Old 06-17-10, 05:57 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

lol spoon I dont think you will find anybody to take apart their headlight and take pictures
Old 06-17-10, 06:36 PM
spoon808
Rookie

oh no no! i dont want you guys to take them apart!

I just want you to find a nice wall (unobstructed) and use a piece of paper to cover individual sections lol.

1) First picture would be the two lowbeams on a wall (no fogs, high)
2) Then second picture, i'd want you to cover the whole driver headlight and leave just the passenger one uncovered
3) Third picture, (still just the passenger headlight from now on) cover the two projector parts so that I can see the light output of the reflector part
4) Fourth pic, cover the reflector and one of the projectors (lets say inside-most) so that I can see that individual light distribution of that projector alone
5) Last pic, cover the reflector and the projector you just snapped of a pic of (being outside most)... and yeah, you get it I hope

sorry for the confusion! maybe thats why no one has been willing to do it for me so far lol

Last edited by spoon808; 06-17-10 at 06:40 PM.
Old 06-17-10, 07:31 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by spoon808
lol the main point of this is that i'm interested in the design of the LED system >.<

but of course HID's are superior for now, in fact again, the rx350 has some REALLY good & thought-out HID headlights.
here's a link that you can read that may give you more info...

http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/article...070725/136768/
Old 06-17-10, 07:36 PM
spoon808
Rookie

thanks! but those are the ls's and i've pretty much exhausted all the research one could collect from those.
Old 06-24-10, 10:07 AM
ziggy1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I need pictures showing the the overall beam of the headlight on a flat surface/wall like so: (all of my examples will use an ls600's)
**best of you could include as much of the width of the beam as possible**

Don't live near something like a parking garage or whatever that would give me a wall to use. Only thing is my garage, and it has shelves, windows and all kind of things that would bread the pattern. Wouldn't you also have to have the distances to calculate the comparisons?
Old 06-24-10, 09:08 PM
spoon808
Rookie

side of any building i guess.. i'd prefer 10-15 feet. I wanted it to be as unobstructed as possible so that I can see where the light is distributed, but beggers can't be choosers. Unless you hang a sheet in your garage to make a fake wall?

you don't need to do that, im just kidding... sorta.
Old 06-27-10, 07:21 AM
ziggy1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If I ever am in a situation where there is an unobstructed flat wall at night and I have my camera (I guess resolution on older cell phone pics are too low), I'll give it a shot, but there aren't many places like that around here. Dorry I can't be more optimistic.
Old 06-27-10, 09:28 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

if you can wait for my car to arrive in september, I will gladly do this

Quick Reply: LED headlight picture request :]