Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

One year old and still impressed

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-10, 10:52 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Default One year old and still impressed

In two weeks, my car will be one year old. I have about 13,000 miles on it and averaging about 30 mpg give or take per tank. It's still fun to drive and other than having the w/s replaced under warranty have had no real gripes.

I have the Michelin's and they appear to me to be about 50% or more tread left so I'm happy with that as the ride is quite and very predictable.

When the 15,000 mile service comes up I'm going to have them look at one thing that I only notice if the drivers window is down and I'm driving in a quite setting like my neighborhood. There is what sounds like an electrical 'click' as the electric motor engages to brake or disengages. It's always been there and hasn't caused a problem but I keep forgetting about it 'cause I can't hear it at all with the windows up, it so dammed quite .

Who has more than 13,000 miles now? Tell us about your tires etc.
Old 06-14-10, 12:53 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

So when's the party Jim?

Geez, it's been a year already. I'll have to check on that clicking noise myself. The windows are closed most of the time with the stereo on. Mine is half as old as yours and will be going in for tire rotation soon. No complaints from me.
Old 06-18-10, 07:26 AM
Fogcutter
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah Jim, this calls for a party!

I've piled on 13500 miles and I've found that I consistently get 27.6 MPG on regular fuel, and about 0.5 MPG less on premium.

The vehicle is a joy to drive.

How long do you plan to run yours?
Old 06-21-10, 06:45 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Fogcutter
Yeah Jim, this calls for a party!

I've piled on 13500 miles and I've found that I consistently get 27.6 MPG on regular fuel, and about 0.5 MPG less on premium.

The vehicle is a joy to drive.

How long do you plan to run yours?
More than likely about 5 years or until Gen IV .

We have three grades here. 87, 89, and 93. I usually fill at about 1/2 and vary between 89 and 93 every other time. That keeps it at 91 I figure.
Old 06-21-10, 09:33 PM
Lil4cyl
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Cruiter
More than likely about 5 years or until Gen IV .

We have three grades here. 87, 89, and 93. I usually fill at about 1/2 and vary between 89 and 93 every other time. That keeps it at 91 I figure.
Love the pics of your 450. Absolutely cannot wait for my white/parchment 450 to arrive at my dealer. One thing I did notice when I test drove a 2wd 450 at the dealership is that there is a "delay/lag" on takeoff when you press the pedal. Maybe I am just not used to the electric vs gas motor acceleration. My current vehicle feels like immediate, and the 450 felt like there was a slight delay. May just take some getting used to. Either way, I can't wait to receive mine.
Old 06-22-10, 12:38 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lil4cyl
Love the pics of your 450. Absolutely cannot wait for my white/parchment 450 to arrive at my dealer. One thing I did notice when I test drove a 2wd 450 at the dealership is that there is a "delay/lag" on takeoff when you press the pedal. Maybe I am just not used to the electric vs gas motor acceleration. My current vehicle feels like immediate, and the 450 felt like there was a slight delay. May just take some getting used to. Either way, I can't wait to receive mine.
Since it has an additional/alternate propulsion system it's natural you'll feel some difference from time to time but nothing you can't adapt to and probably like better in the long run.

As far as lag on takeoff, turn ECO off and it will probably function more as you're use to. In ECO mode the throttle response is slightly retarded if pushed slowly but the same if pushed down harder (faster). If you don't like that mode just turn ECO off. I haven't noticed a significant difference in economy either way.

Good luck
Old 06-23-10, 04:30 PM
Lil4cyl
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Since it has an additional/alternate propulsion system it's natural you'll feel some difference from time to time but nothing you can't adapt to and probably like better in the long run.

As far as lag on takeoff, turn ECO off and it will probably function more as you're use to. In ECO mode the throttle response is slightly retarded if pushed slowly but the same if pushed down harder (faster). If you don't like that mode just turn ECO off. I haven't noticed a significant difference in economy either way.

Good luck
Thanks. Ill try out both modes when mine arrives. All the neat gadgets that are on the rx will keep me in the driveway for a couple hours just learning them.
Old 06-23-10, 05:08 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Thanks. Ill try out both modes when mine arrives. All the neat gadgets that are on the rx will keep me in the driveway for a couple hours just learning them.
How true! I still haven't learned how to use all the little gadgets after six months and I read the manuals cover to cover. The 450h is a total nerdmobile

I switched to eco mode when the weather warmed up and don't really notice any depreciable loss of power in acceleration. The mileage has definitely increased You also have the eco driving indicator light which goes on or off depending on your driving habits. Some people find it annoying but you can turn it off. And you can choose between energy monitor or current fuel consumption on the multi-information display in the middle of the instrument panel.

There's a lot more but I don't want to ruin the experience for you
Old 06-27-10, 07:02 PM
Lil4cyl
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kitlz
How true! I still haven't learned how to use all the little gadgets after six months and I read the manuals cover to cover. The 450h is a total nerdmobile

I switched to eco mode when the weather warmed up and don't really notice any depreciable loss of power in acceleration. The mileage has definitely increased You also have the eco driving indicator light which goes on or off depending on your driving habits. Some people find it annoying but you can turn it off. And you can choose between energy monitor or current fuel consumption on the multi-information display in the middle of the instrument panel.

There's a lot more but I don't want to ruin the experience for you
My anticipation builds more each day. Word from my salesman is it is scheduled to arrive in Florida on July 3rd. Probably 5-6 days after that until it reaches the dealer. Trying to memorize the online owners manual in the meantime.
Old 06-28-10, 03:55 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

My anticipation builds more each day. Word from my salesman is it is scheduled to arrive in Florida on July 3rd. Probably 5-6 days after that until it reaches the dealer. Trying to memorize the online owners manual in the meantime.
If the options had been available when I purchased mine, It would be the same car plus two of yours, the 'AWD' version and the 'HUD' but they weren't available and I'm happy with it. Gen IV model perhaps .

Building on what Anita said calling it a 'nerd' mobile, that's because there are so many features that have never before been available and settings we can change. Just trying to go back and forth to find the ones you like the best is a challenge. Very early on I nearly bought the farm in an intersection while turning. Playing with the features while driving is kin to texting, just don't do it. Use your driveway for that. And yes, after one year still discovering little things I didn't even know about.

Having spent 18 years in the Automobile business I've owned more cars than the average person and named the special ones. This one is 'Watson' and it seems to fit him well. Maybe you don't get that attached to a car, some do some don't. But don't be surprised if you do

Enjoy your anticipation

Old 06-28-10, 01:57 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

So you'll be able to tell us which chapter/page number to refer to in the owner's and navigation manuals, all 1,133 pages? I'm impressed. Thanks so much

I know how you feel. Anticipation is a killer. I wanted to meet mine at port 15 miles away. I hope you're pleasantly surprised and your 450h comes in early. And just like Jim, I gave mine a name, perfect if I may say so myself - Urkel - to represent his part goofy looking but very smart personality
Old 07-01-10, 08:56 PM
Lil4cyl
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kitlz
So you'll be able to tell us which chapter/page number to refer to in the owner's and navigation manuals, all 1,133 pages? I'm impressed. Thanks so much

I know how you feel. Anticipation is a killer. I wanted to meet mine at port 15 miles away. I hope you're pleasantly surprised and your 450h comes in early. And just like Jim, I gave mine a name, perfect if I may say so myself - Urkel - to represent his part goofy looking but very smart personality
I hope it does come in earlier. My salesman told me he will put in an "emergency request" for it when it comes into port. So maybe they will get it to me by the end of next week. Hope is good anyway.

On another note, I managed to talk my mom into trading her suv in on a 2008 RX400h AWD, Bamboo color, 27k miles CPO today. We left the dealer at 8:45, and the finance person, salesman got in some overtime. It was a good experience overall, took a while, but overall good. He took his time and explained all the details to mom. I'll help her learn all the things she didnt retain from her lesson. Got 27.4mpg on the way home from the dealer. I think she will love it.