Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 3GS forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation GS models.

AutoWeek Driver's Log

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-10, 05:50 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb AutoWeek Driver's Log

EDITOR WES RAYNAL: Wow! This wasn't nearly the piece of junk I remember thinking these cars are. I've never liked them much. I have always thought they were overpriced and overweight, and the last few I've driven have had squeaks and rattles and been beaten all to hell. I remember one I drove, I turned on the wipers and they got stuck in the top position.

This one I liked better. It felt tighter, better screwed together. Build quality and materials inside looked and felt more refined and better than most.

The car drove OK. There's decent power; this is a deceptively fast car and the power comes on in a smooth and seamless whoosh as long as you are accelerating hard. Part throttle acceleration results in the jerkiness one always gets from Toyota's hybrid system, as it transitions from gas, to electric, to both, and tries to make up its mind. I'm surprised Toyota hasn't over the years smoothed its hybrid powertrain yet. I guess there are other things going on in the company at the moment.

The ride is competent and there's good grip, though the steering feels way overboosted and unconnected and at times in quicker transitions, you can feel the car's weight.

I wouldn't plunk down the $60,000 for one, but some green/early adopter types might. The car is complicated, and I'll bet even at 60 grand, Toyota loses money on it.

ASSOCIATE EDITOR JONATHAN WONG: Whenever I hear the word "hybrid" when talking about autos, thoughts of painfully slow, boring and annoying brakes instantly spring to mind. I can appreciate what they do in stop-and-go situations, but I remain a firm supporter of diesels. However, a weekend in this GS hybrid wasn't so bad. It's a hybrid with actual guts and is quite fun when you boot it and it launches forward.

I did a good amount of expressway running over the weekend, and it was quiet and comfortable rolling down the road. The ride is deceptively smooth, and you easily find yourself up in the 90-mph range without even realizing it.

Yes, the steering is overboosted and offers zero feedback, but with the suspension punched up in the sport setting, the car copes well with all the curb weight and returns respectable response. The brakes weren't too bad, either. You could modulate braking a little, which is really nice, unlike how the on/off switch the brake pedal on General Motors hybrid SUVs are.

Styling doesn't do much for me. It neither stands out nor is boring as hell. It's just kind of there and looks OK. The interior has some nice looking, high-quality trim pieces and was a very comfortable place to be. The seats offered good support and would be great for long drives.

I guess if you had to have a hybrid to prove you love the environment, then this GS 450h wouldn't be so bad. It drives well, has a spacious cabin, looks fine and is quick to have at least a little fun.

COPY/PRODUCTION CHIEF WENDY WARREN KEEBLER: I was pretty sensitive to the hybrid jerkiness Wes mentions, and I did not find the brakes confidence-inspiring--it seemed to take a long time to stop. But this was a nice, smooth, comfy ride for my sedated friend whom I chauffeured home from a medical procedure--he didn't even throw up in it!

I have to say I'm bemused by the average 23.3 mpg reading I was getting and the fuel numbers given for this hybrid. What's the point?
2010 Lexus GS 450h

Base Price: $57,425

As-Tested Price: $60,590

Drivetrain: 3.5-liter V6; RWD, continuously variable transmission

Output: 292 hp @ 6,400 rpm (total system power 340 hp), 268 lb-ft @ 4,800 rpm

Curb Weight: 4,134 lb

Fuel Economy (EPA/AW): 23/21.3 mpg

Options: Navigation system with Lexus enform with destination assist and eDestination, Lexus insider, voice command, satellite traffic, weather and sports ($1,665); Lexus precollision system and dynamic radar cruise control ($1,500)

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/2010...#ixzz0qvRU7qJS
Old 06-15-10, 08:00 PM
dzl1907
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This doesnt stand out???
Attached Thumbnails AutoWeek Driver's Log-whipp.jpg