Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

RX 400h road drift

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-10, 08:24 PM
Beanmedic
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question RX 400h road drift

Just bought my first Lexus and my first hybrid . 2007 400h with 41K miles. It was a Carmax purchase and during the test drive I noticed a slight right-hand drift after turning loose of the steering wheel. It is slight, but still there. I debated with the shop there about the drift. They felt it was normal. I did not, albeit very slight.

Obviously tire pressure (checked and equal), road crown (tried several lanes of traffic to negate), and alignment could cause drift. I also am aware some tires are more subject to drift.

Couldn't convince the shop at Carmax to redo alignment. Although I have a signed document that allows me to address this issue further after a couple of days for testing. Any special issues related to alignment/drifting anyone can think of? Oh...is a FWD, not AWD vehicle.
Old 07-28-10, 02:49 PM
BobBass
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Mine has pulled to one side since delivery. I had them check the alignment at the 1K service but they said it was OK. I just inflate the "pull to" side ~4 lbs. more PSI than the other and that takes care of it. It'll be interesting to see if this changes when the tires are replaced.
Old 08-02-10, 08:21 PM
Beanmedic
Driver School Candidate

I had the same thought about replacement tires. Reading the recall info on this site, I wonder if any of the 2006 issues carried over to the 2007? But I'm not likely to get any dealer to go through all that is mentioned in the advisory without spending tons of cash. I may try changing the front tires from one side to the other as an experiment. Thanks for the tire psi suggestion. Had given that a thought but have yet to try it. Will post with results.
Old 08-03-10, 06:52 AM
Kendig
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No vehicle should consistently drift to one side. That's NOT normal. The RX has independent rear suspension, so rear alignment being off can be an issue, even for FWD.

One thing you can do yourself would be to have a friend follow you on a level road, to see if it appears the rear wheels are tracking left or right of the front wheels.

There are alignment shops and there are Good alignment shops. When I moved to PA years ago, I found a Good alignment shop by asking members of the local Corvette club where they would go.
Old 06-06-11, 08:59 AM
xusforlife
Driver

BeanM

I've posted about my problem in a couple of threads.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/6441884-post61.html

Is my vehicles behaviour something you recognise in yours?
Old 06-06-11, 01:00 PM
rcy
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I've posted the TSB for this at www.lexusownersclub.com

Look under the hybrid section
(this saves me having to download it and post it here)
Old 06-07-11, 07:27 AM
ilovemaui
Driver School Candidate

My '07 does the same thing. I took it in to the dealer and they gave me a print out showing that everything is within spec. Still drifts to the right. I am wondering if the weight distribution between the gas and electric motors is off or something.
Old 06-07-11, 04:09 PM
xusforlife
Driver

My problem began after my transmission was replaced due to an oil leak caused by corrosion.

They had to dismantle a large part of the left side to do so and after that it began to pull hard to right.

I'm beginning to think it's the caster as after every four wheel alignment it have gotten better. But I'm not sure they have cared about the caster. Will have to dig up the last alignment papers and see what angles it have.

What numbers do your alignment paper show?

Originally Posted by ilovemaui
My '07 does the same thing. I took it in to the dealer and they gave me a print out showing that everything is within spec. Still drifts to the right. I am wondering if the weight distribution between the gas and electric motors is off or something.
Old 06-08-11, 05:53 AM
Kendig
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

While this sort of thing is almost always an alignment issue (including possibly the rear being out of alignment), there are two checks you can make that the dealer probably didn't.

You need to find a place you can drive several miles and then safely pull off and coast to a stop, all without touching the brakes. See if the right side calipers and/or wheel hubs are noticeably warmer than the left. Check both front and rear, and be careful not to burn yourself. If there's a significant different in temperature, you may have an issue with the brakes or (less likely) a wheel bearing.

Another thing to try is swapping the wheels between the two sides to see if it affects the drift. A change in results would indicate some issue with the tires.
Old 06-08-11, 09:09 PM
rcy
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Or, as I said in post #6, you can have the TSB performed. IF you're out of warranty, it might cost you, though.
Old 06-13-11, 08:41 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

I tested mine on my 900 mile journey and I have no drift whatsoever...I am running Toyo HT tires and apparently the alignment has been done on the car before I purchased. Good luck
Old 06-14-11, 07:40 AM
Beanmedic
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by petterf
BeanM

I've posted about my problem in a couple of threads.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/6441884-post61.html

Is my vehicles behaviour something you recognise in yours?
It sounds like what mine is doing. Quite frankly, from what I read it is a significant problem to track down. My spouse does not seem to notice it, and since it is her's to drive daily, I admit my burning desire to address it has waned. I'm due new tires any time now, and that was to be my next push to address it. Who knows, even a different brand of tire may track differently.