Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

New 400H Owner

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-11, 11:55 PM
AztecLG
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 400H Owner

Hello, I'm new to posting but have been lurking for a while.

I recently picked up an 06 RX400H AWD. I'm not new to car modding, and although I'm not planning on building another trophy winner, I do want to do a couple mods to really make this pop.

I had a couple questions.

Are body kits for the RX330 compatible with the 400H? Is there any adjustments that need to be made or anything? I am really liking how the Wald kit makes the RX look, and would be leaning towards that.

Is the stock Navi unit worth it? I mean, should I bother buying the upgrade disc and on top of that getting an iPod integration kit? Or should I just rip the whole thing out and go with an aftermarket system?

Springs. I would like to lower the vehicle. I just don't like the wheel gap it has stock. Airbags/Coils are going a bit far for my tastes as this is a daily driver. What springs provide a mild drop without making the ride too harsh?

It's a hybrid, and I don't want to really mess with power mods in any way, but is there a bolt on I should be getting that no RX owner should be without?

Is there any other maintenance issues I should be looking out for? I got the jist of resetting the ISC, anything else I should check on?

Thanks for the info in advanced, and my apologies if I could've found this info by using the search forum function, I did try to scour the forums before posting.
Old 01-25-11, 09:04 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by AztecLG
Hello, I'm new to posting but have been lurking for a while.

I recently picked up an 06 RX400H AWD. I'm not new to car modding, and although I'm not planning on building another trophy winner, I do want to do a couple mods to really make this pop.

I had a couple questions.

Are body kits for the RX330 compatible with the 400H? Is there any adjustments that need to be made or anything? I am really liking how the Wald kit makes the RX look, and would be leaning towards that.

Bodykits will fit, the car has the same dimensions. I am sure you are aware the 400h and 330/350 have different front grills.

Is the stock Navi unit worth it? I mean, should I bother buying the upgrade disc and on top of that getting an iPod integration kit? Or should I just rip the whole thing out and go with an aftermarket system?

We have an 06 as well and the gen 4 NAV is just old and grainy compared to the newer NAV. We have a 2009 Disc. We do prefer the OEM look and we don't use it that much so we'll just stick with it. We are pondering the iPod kits though.

Springs. I would like to lower the vehicle. I just don't like the wheel gap it has stock. Airbags/Coils are going a bit far for my tastes as this is a daily driver. What springs provide a mild drop without making the ride too harsh?

I am unsure if anyone has dropped their 400h. It is heavier than the 330/350 due to the hybrid pats. TTE provides a good 1" drop, contact Sewell Lexus.

It's a hybrid, and I don't want to really mess with power mods in any way, but is there a bolt on I should be getting that no RX owner should be without?

Not really, even if it wasn't a hybrid not much for the 3.3 liter engine. K&N filter is your best bet.

Is there any other maintenance issues I should be looking out for? I got the jist of resetting the ISC, anything else I should check on?

Issues seem to be few and far between

Thanks for the info in advanced, and my apologies if I could've found this info by using the search forum function, I did try to scour the forums before posting.
Welcome to the 400h club!
Old 01-25-11, 01:24 PM
Jeff92se
Driver

I've noted that our air filter is some odd ball 2 pc unit. Do both pieces get replaced?
Old 01-25-11, 07:33 PM
rcy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

No. The piece behind the normal paper filter is a charcoal filter - something to do with emissions. It does not get replaced.
Old 01-28-11, 11:13 PM
AztecLG
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, that helps.

As for wheels, I've been searching like for hours on here, and it seems pretty common that people are finding it a bit difficult to get some answers on what size we can go with before rubbing.

My question is, how wide can we go before we rub? I am thinking of 19x8.5+30 and 19x10+38 staggered. What tires should I go with and what size spacers?

Also you said:
Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I am sure you are aware the 400h and 330/350 have different front grills.
I know the grills are different, but does mean they aren't interchangable? I was planning on buying a 330 grill as well.

Thanks again!

Last edited by AztecLG; 01-28-11 at 11:18 PM.
Old 02-03-11, 09:17 PM
LexFather

Staggered on AWD is not really suggested b/c the computer is expecting all the wheels to be the same size and it might throw it off. Not sure but a 19x8.5 should clear since its a SUV with a lot of room for wheels.

I prefer Michelin tires, that is what is on the 400h and both GSs have PS2s

Grills are interchangeable.