Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

450h alignment and road noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-11, 07:42 AM
fmolden
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 450h alignment and road noise

My 450h (23000 miles) developed some road noise at cruise speeds. I was told that all 4 tires are worn on the inside edge and that they need replacement and the car a full alignment. The car does not pull in either direction and will track with hands off the wheel. I looked at the tires before being notified of this and did not notice any severe alignment wear.

To me having all 4 tires go bad sounds like a small but consistent to both sides misalignment in place since I bought the car. The car has also had regular service with no mention of the alignment or tire wear.

My $150 20k mile service just turned into $1200.
Old 02-18-11, 02:06 PM
JimH2
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you saying the tires were also rotated at the regular service intervals. If so, wear would have been seen prior to 23,000 miles ?
Old 02-18-11, 07:44 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Ouch, that hurts!!

I'm getting a similar feeling. I had an alignment done awhile back. Then weeks after, I was driving in some deep snow and filled all the rims with snow and ice. Went out on to the highway and the car felt terrible. Got out and beat all the ice, snow, salt and sand out the wheel wells and out of the rims. A few days later, I was still getting headaches from the vibrations. Took it in and got the wheels balanced and they said the tires were cupped.

Going in for 30,000 mile next week. Tires maybe in my future too.

As far as noise. I've always thought there was too much tire noise.
Old 02-19-11, 05:18 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by DunWkg
Ouch, that hurts!!

I'm getting a similar feeling. I had an alignment done awhile back. Then weeks after, I was driving in some deep snow and filled all the rims with snow and ice. Went out on to the highway and the car felt terrible. Got out and beat all the ice, snow, salt and sand out the wheel wells and out of the rims. A few days later, I was still getting headaches from the vibrations. Took it in and got the wheels balanced and they said the tires were cupped.

Going in for 30,000 mile next week. Tires maybe in my future too.

As far as noise. I've always thought there was too much tire noise.
David, just curious. What brand of tires do you have? I'm assuming they're your originals.

Is it possible the cupping was from wheels being way out of balance due to large amounts of snow/ice packed in the rims? Just a thought.

I still have the original Michelin's with about 21,000 on them and they're pretty decent still and really smooth riding. But I don't have a problem with snow and ice packed in the rims down here in GA.
Old 02-19-11, 07:37 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Originals
Dunlops

Only drove 5 miles at highway speed with snow and ice. Wouldn't expect the tires to cup so fast, but have no experience or knowledge to base that thought.

Does the tire warranty help in this situation? Never needed it therefore, never read it. Knowledgeable consumer....not. Out of balance would be my fault relieving the manufacturer not doubt.

Thanks,

oops I forgot I drove to dealership later. Add another 100 miles of out-of-balance driving.

Last edited by DunWkg; 02-19-11 at 07:43 PM. Reason: hindsight comment added
Old 02-20-11, 06:26 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

David, that's not good news on the Dunlops. It's worth a shot to see if it will be covered under the tire warranty or maybe the dealer will give you a break on new tires. I only had it happen once with the Alenzas I had on the 330 a few months before I the 450h came in. That was an expensive final service even with a decent tire price and free alignment

Have you decided what you'll be changing them out with? I'm at 8.5K with mine. So far so good, knock on wood.
Old 02-21-11, 01:29 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Originally Posted by kitlz

Have you decided what you'll be changing them out with? I'm at 8.5K with mine. So far so good, knock on wood.
No, this is all a recent development. I want something with less road noise, without breaking the bank. That combination probably isn't possible.
Old 02-21-11, 05:08 AM
fmolden
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JimH2
Are you saying the tires were also rotated at the regular service intervals. If so, wear would have been seen prior to 23,000 miles ?
Tires were rotated per service recommendations and no wear was reported during any of the prior sercice calls. I have measured the tread and found, with only two measurements on each tire, a maximum of 2/32 difference in tread wear, inside to outside.

I understand that the tires alone can be the source of the noise. So I am now looking for the best "quiet" tire. Anyone have any suggestions?

I am thinking of changing out tires, having an alignment done and hoping the noise is not in the drive train and goes away.
Old 02-21-11, 08:55 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

fmolden, I'd stay away from the OE Bridgestones (assuming you don't have them already). Have heard too many bad stories about them. I have Dunlops like David. No complaints from me but I'm worried about what's happening to David's. I know Jim likes his Michelins. That would be my choice after checking out the Yokohamas. I buy mine from a local tire guy and have the dealer install and do the alignment. Last time around I bought the tires from the dealer at a better price and free alignment so it pays to shop around. My dealer is running a special on alignment right now (wonder why ). I believe it was $59.95. Hey, nothing wrong with saving a few bucks any way you can. I might just get mine done. Good luck.
Old 02-21-11, 10:23 AM
wa3cuj
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

My mind is spinning on tires! I have 19" Dunlops and am very happy with them. However, others have expressed dislike. On previous cars (none were Lexus) I have had many sets of Michelin MXV4's (plain, plus, and energy) and was happy with them. However, I had a 2010 RX350 loaner with 18" Michelins and I was amazed at the road noise I experienced. About 3 weeks ago I had a 2010 450h loaner with Dunlops and it road just like mine.

I have a close friend that owns a chain of tire stores across several states. When it comes time to replace my tires, I think I am going to take him to dinner and find out what he has to say. I hope we remain friends!!

I just got back from a couple of weeks in Florida where I took my A6 (better highway mileage than the 450h) after putting a replacement set of Continentals on it. It was a great ride on I-95 at 80 mph in many places. Very quiet and smooth, however, it goes without saying, it was a different vehicle.
Old 02-21-11, 11:42 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by wa3cuj
I have a close friend that owns a chain of tire stores across several states. When it comes time to replace my tires, I think I am going to take him to dinner and find out what he has to say. I hope we remain friends!!
Do you mind telling us what you find out from your friend? Unless you want us to chip in to pay for dinner
Old 02-26-11, 12:07 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

I thought that Lexus paid for one alignment in the first two years or 20k miles?
Old 02-26-11, 12:27 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by billy44bo
I thought that Lexus paid for one alignment in the first two years or 20k miles?
Haven't heard that before. I'd check to see if your dealer is offering a discount. Mine is charging $59.95 (half price) through the end of February.
Old 02-26-11, 03:26 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

Page 18 of the Warranty and Services Guide
"with the exception of wheel alignment and wheel balancing which are covered for 12 months or 20,000 miles whichever occurs first."
Old 06-22-11, 10:14 PM
Nogee
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wear on the inside

I've just passed 15K and noticed that the driver's side front is wearing on the inside. I'll have to check the other tires. Nothing discerning while driving. I've done just dealer service. Good to see about warranty.

thanks

Quick Reply: 450h alignment and road noise