Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 3GS forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation GS models.

How do you shift in this thing!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-11, 06:34 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts
Default How do you shift in this thing!

Ok this may sound stupid but how do you shift in this car without the tachometer and the sounds of revs, I have not tried it yet cause I'm scared I might break something, anybody's help is appreciated!
Old 02-21-11, 06:03 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

lol, you just shift. i don't think there are any gears to break.
Old 02-21-11, 06:23 PM
montz450
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really don't understand why they put the manual shift in the 450h. Anybody know why?
Old 02-21-11, 07:00 PM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by Stormforge
lol, you just shift. i don't think there are any gears to break.
I figured that there were no gears to mess up but in general its not like you can listen to the revs or even look at the tachometer cause it doesn't exist.

Originally Posted by montz450
I really don't understand why they put the manual shift in the 450h. Anybody know why?
Yeah I was asking myself the same question cause there really is no use for it, but I guess its like a BMW or MB if your paying the money why not have something of no use just to say you have it.
Old 02-21-11, 07:22 PM
adamz28
Rookie

Is there any difference in performance if you are in S instead D?
Old 02-22-11, 08:00 PM
LexFather

Yes there is, I use it all the time. First off the CVT was a worlds first in 2007. Second its built like a tank so no worry of the tranny breaking. Third the "M" for manual mode acts like the car is an automatic and simulates gears, thus you see the 1-6 on the dash. While the CVT technically is always in the right gear the "M" mode lets you chose the gear and if you listen to the engine, you can hear the difference.

I love using it to engine brake, slap it from D to M and the car will slow down due to the change (I think default gear is 4). I like keeping it in 3 when I am playing around and feeling frisky.

As for performance difference not sure if the car is faster in M compared to D but I figure no, its just the additional control. I have taken my car to the 1/4 mile track.

I do love the new gauges in the CT where the car has eco gauges in normal mode and they turn red with a traditional tachometer in sport mode. Hopefully the next GSh gets that.
Old 02-23-11, 06:24 AM
adamz28
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Yes there is, I use it all the time. First off the CVT was a worlds first in 2007. Second its built like a tank so no worry of the tranny breaking. Third the "M" for manual mode acts like the car is an automatic and simulates gears, thus you see the 1-6 on the dash. While the CVT technically is always in the right gear the "M" mode lets you chose the gear and if you listen to the engine, you can hear the difference.

I love using it to engine brake, slap it from D to M and the car will slow down due to the change (I think default gear is 4). I like keeping it in 3 when I am playing around and feeling frisky.

As for performance difference not sure if the car is faster in M compared to D but I figure no, its just the additional control. I have taken my car to the 1/4 mile track.

I do love the new gauges in the CT where the car has eco gauges in normal mode and they turn red with a traditional tachometer in sport mode. Hopefully the next GSh gets that.
Great information, thanks.
Old 02-23-11, 06:40 AM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Thats exactly what I was trying to find out, maybe someone should do a sticky add-on to the DIY and so on tab under differences, (hint.......hint!)
Old 06-30-11, 10:10 PM
sucka
Rookie

Default Sometimes i forget that i'm in the '1st' gear

Often I'll use the manual shifter when approaching a red that's about to turn green. But sometimes i use it for the full red and downshift all the way to 1 and then forget that i'm in manual and i just shoot off and then realize it when it's too late and then quickly pop it back into auto. Am i causing any damage or undue wear and tear on the tranny?