Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Need advice on which IPod interface to install

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-11, 01:27 AM
rx400h1976
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good to hear about your DVD mod. Eric at BeatSonic was great and very helpful with all the info when I did my install.
Sorry to hear about the bolt. Fortunately for me, I did not drop the bolt and hence have no idea about removing the lower dash panel. If you do find out how, please post the instructions.
How is your VAIS unit so far?
Old 03-04-11, 03:38 AM
Ernietheat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a 2008 LS 600h. Can i attach my iPad. Separate sound and movies?
Old 03-04-11, 04:47 AM
Porscheguy
Driver School Candidate

[COLOR="Navy"]Hi all,

This is a great thread. I've been using the cassette tape to play my iPhone, so I'm very interested in how this turns out. One thing I'm curious about is whether album art, playlists, etc. will show on the nav screen during operation. I seldom use the nav around town, so I'd rather see my album art.
Old 03-04-11, 06:07 AM
rx400h1976
Rookie

Originally Posted by Porscheguy
[COLOR="Navy"]Hi all,

This is a great thread. I've been using the cassette tape to play my iPhone, so I'm very interested in how this turns out. One thing I'm curious about is whether album art, playlists, etc. will show on the nav screen during operation. I seldom use the nav around town, so I'd rather see my album art.
Yes, Playlists, Artist, Album information does show up on the nav screen (5th Gen). You can control/change songs/playlists/artists/albums from the nav screen. You can change folders/playlists/songs/volume from the steering wheel controls (can aalso be done using the audio controls).
Old 03-04-11, 06:09 AM
rx400h1976
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ernietheat
I just bought a 2008 LS 600h. Can i attach my iPad. Separate sound and movies?
That is a good question. My guess is it should be supported but since I have not tested it, I am not 100% sure.

VAIS includes a list of supported devices and I did not see the iPad in there. But, it might be a while ago that the supported devices list was made - pre iPad era.
Old 03-05-11, 09:15 AM
mctufts
Rookie

So as you all know, installing and using the Beat Sonic went fine without any issues, allowing DVD playback in my rx400h in motion.

Unfortunately, there have been issues with the VAIS SL2Vi that I installed yesterday. I have some decent pics of the installation and plan on posting them later today. However, I'm still trouble-shooting the unit and have run into some problems:

1) While it does play music, the IPhone cable seems to have a poor connection as, depending on how I hold the IPhone or if it moves around at all during playback, the sound shifts continuously between the right and left speakers. I'm guessing I'll need to order a new cable.

2) The unit can play music from my IPhone 4 but will not charge it when connected. Same thing for an IPhone 3GS. Previous owner of unit mentioned that firmware update was done at Lexus dealer 4 months ago. Still I'm thinking its either a firmware issue (not updated enough?) vs. a cable issue.

3) There is noise easily heard at higher volumes. Not sure if this is the cable. When tested yesterday, don't believe I heard any noise but after removing the VAIS tech unit from its place in the left side of the passenger footwell to re-program, this noise has been present, even after placing the VAIS back into the footwell. Cable issue? Not entirely sure.

4) I can not get any Video playback from the unit onto my navigation screen, either from a IPhone 3GS or 4. I don't even think the unit is being recognized in that regard as switching the unit to what is normally the DVD Mode does nothing but produce a blue screen momentarily before it disappears. Actually playing a video from the IPhone does not change the screen in any way.

5) Actual DVD Playback, which worked normally before, now shows up with a DVD Hint Screen that does not go away (used to go away with a press of a button) and blocks of any DVD playback on the navigation system.

So there you have it...lots of issues, many of which I'm sure I'll have to trouble shoot with VAIS techs. Anyone on this forum have experience with VAIS units? RX400h1976, did you experience ANY of these issues (with audio playback)? Seems like everything worked perfectly in yours...somewhat jealous.

Thanks everybody for any input!
Old 03-05-11, 02:19 PM
mctufts
Rookie

Below are pics and descriptions of the installation of a VAIS SL2Vi into a 2006 rx400h. I did not cover the removal of the stereo because this is covered in the great guides with the links to them, found earlier in this thread. But of note, it is REALLY easy to remove your stereo and your Nav/multi-display unit. I've never done any stereo removal or DIY work on my car so the first time, I was really careful about removing the components but the second time I did it, it took maybe 10-15 minutes to get to the back of the Nav/multidisplay. So really, there's not much to worry about if you're debating whether or not to do so. Just read over the various guides and be prepared with the proper tools. Ok, here goes:

This first picture is of the connectors on the back of the stereo after its been removed. This is a TOP DOWN view, peering over the top of the unit to get a look at the connectors. From this view, you can easily see three different sized white connectors. This is great since you can't possibly mix up the connectors when plugging everything back in. Anyway, from this view, the connector that needs to be swapped out for the VAIS connector is located on the very left. Remove it and plug it into the empty female connector on the VAIS harness. Then plug in the VAIS connector into the now empty female connector on the radio unit. Then, feed the wire that connects BACK to the VAIS unit where ever you're interested. I fed mine to the left side of the passenger footwell, behind an easily removable panel. You could easily feed it to the glove department as well. Then, if you don't need to mess with the navigation/multi-display, just make sure everything's reconnected and put the radio back in! Easy right?

The following pic is of the back side of the radio unit. The connector that needs to be removed from this view, is now on the far right.

The next post will be about the installation of the video component of the SL2Vi, which requires removal of the nav unit.
Old 03-05-11, 02:55 PM
mctufts
Rookie

Ok, so if you have to get to the navigation unit and plug in the video component of the VAIS SL2Vi or if you just want to pull it out for other modifications, the following pictures might give you an idea of what to expect. I DID NOT completely remove the unit as I did the radio unit as I could easily do what I need to do by pulling it out part way.

This pic is of after complete radio removal. There are two bolts that need to be removed, from right underneath the unit. I had already removed the one on the right but you can still see the remaining bolt on the left. After these 2 bolts are removed, place hands under both the left and right side and pull the unit out. The clips holding it in place disengage with enough force...which is a decent amount (to the point where I was afraid I was afraid I was applying too much force).

The next pic is of the unit after its been removed. This view of the connectors behind the unit is from the TOP DOWN view, peering over the top of the unit, which has now been pulled halfway out. If you're installing a VAIS SL2Vi specifically, the connector you're looking for will be on the left, the smallest one of the three connectors you see.

Remove the left most connector and plug it into the empty female connector on the VAIS harness (similar step to the radio unit installation). Next, plug in the VAIS male connector into the now empty female connector on the back of the multidisplay unit. This next picture is of the VAIS connector (blue), which has not been connected yet, and to the right of it, the unit connector (white), now removed and plugged into the empty VAIS female connector.

Now, plug the nav back in. That completes the VAIS SL2Vi installation.
Old 03-05-11, 03:04 PM
mctufts
Rookie

Ok so regarding the DVD hint screen that now won't go away when trying to watch a DVD on the Nav screen, I unplugged the VAIS connector to the multi-display/navivation unit and reconnected the factory connector. However, the problem with the DVD Hint screen remained. So then, just to test, I completely disconnected the VAIS and DVD functionality returned to normal with the ability to get rid of the DVD Hint Screen. Has anyone had similar issues with DVD functionality with a VAIS SL2Vi hooked up? Probably not...I'm hoping its just a firmware issue...
Old 03-05-11, 06:39 PM
rx400h1976
Rookie

Sorry to hear you are having issues.
Seems like a cable issue for loose connection, noise issues.

Did the eBay seller mention any of this? Or is there any damage on the cables - pinched, damaged due to heat etc?
I have tested iPod, 2G, 3G, 3GS and iPhone 4. All of them work flawlessly and get charged as soon as the ignition switched is turned on.
How old is your VAIS? Do you know what firmware it is on?

BTW: Thanks for posting pics.
Old 03-05-11, 06:40 PM
rx400h1976
Rookie

Now that you have pretty much explored the audio/video/GPS equipment in the RX, any tips you would like to add to my original list pertaining installation?
Old 03-05-11, 06:43 PM
rx400h1976
Rookie

Just thought of something regarding your iPhone(s) not being charged. I believe Apple iPods went from 12v to 5v couple of years ago. So, if you unit is older than that, it might be using 12v to charge the iPhone you are connecting. To confirm - The iPod cable that you attach to the VAIS unit, does it have a black box (1 inch height, 1 inch width and about 4 inches long) about 1-2 feet from where it connects to the VAIS unit?
Old 03-06-11, 01:11 AM
mctufts
Rookie

Thanks Rx400h1976 as always for the tips and advice! As for your questions:

1) Seller bought it in 2008 and updated the firmware 4 months ago at his Lexus dealership. I checked the unit itself and it was manufactured on 07/09/08 and the original firmware was 4.44. So that covers how old it is. As for the firmware, I'm having trouble confirming the version. The manual states that to check the version, you have to enter Simple mode and the version pops up but for some reason, when I've done that, I've seen no indication of the version on my CD changer. This happen to anyone else?

2) Seller did not mention any issues, stating that it worked fine and worked with his IPhone 3G...didn't say that it charged, just that it worked with it...which it does, by playing music from it. He didn't mention video but I saw that package for his car was the same as was needed for mine so didn't think there'd be any compatibility issues.

3) Good point about the change from 12V to 5V for charging. I don't think I saw that box that you were referencing...guess that means I have the 12V charger then? (I saw A box but don't think it was the one you were talking about. That might explain the inability to charge. Hopefully the cable being older and worn from use would explain the noise issue as well. Oh and just found out that a new cable is ONLY $70...sadness.

4) As for additional tips for installation, you covered all of them pretty much. Oh, one thing that wasn't mentioned was the fact that specifically with the SL2Vi, I had to feed the multi-display/ navigation wires from the footwell upwards to the nav unit instead of connecting the VAIS wires to the nav, and then feeding down into the footwell. This is because attached to the VAIS Nav connector, maybe halfway in between it and where you would plug it into the VAIS unit, there is a thick bundle of wires and a large piece of plastic that can't be passed from the top down. So for me at least, that part remained in the footwell, and I passed the wires upwards. If a picture of this is needed, I can provide one.

Last edited by mctufts; 03-06-11 at 01:19 AM.
Old 03-06-11, 01:13 AM
mctufts
Rookie

Oh and got an answer about how to remove the lower dash paneling beneath the center console...got the answer from a technician:

To remove the bottom trim you have to remove the lower dash trim on the drivers side and the glove box assembly. Then the bolts that hold on the middle will be exposed.

Hope that helps others who run into any bolts falling into the dash.
Old 03-06-11, 06:36 AM
rx400h1976
Rookie

Could you post some pictures of removing the lower dash panel? I want to get my hands in that area to run the iPod cable to the center console(may be).

Quick Reply: Need advice on which IPod interface to install