Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Need advice on which IPod interface to install

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-11, 06:37 AM
rx400h1976
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The iPod cable - check this out http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/iPODS...fAudioQ5fVideo

Check to see if this cable matches the one you have. Also it is $35, saving you 50%.
Good luck!!!!
Old 03-06-11, 01:59 PM
mctufts
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a great find rx400h1976 but unfortunately, I don't think that cable would be compatible with my SL2Vi, only with SL2i models. The connectors are the same but the cables are slightly different. Thanks for looking though.

One question I have is how to check the current version of firmware on your VAIS unit. On their website, they explained that to do so, you must change the unit to Simple mode and that the firmware pops up as text on the display of whatever emulation you're using. In my case, I should expect to see the updated version on my CD Changer since its programmed for CD Emulation right? If you can get the firmware to show up on your display, could you send me a pic of it so I know what to look for? I really can't figure out what I'm doing wrong in terms of getting this to display.

As for pics of removing the lower panel, at this point, I'm holding off from removing it as I haven't had any issues with the lost bolt in the dash as of yet. I can maybe try to get a more detailed description from the person who first told me how to do so however.

As always, thanks again for the help!
Old 03-06-11, 08:15 PM
mctufts
Rookie

Rx400h1976, got the video playback to work! Works great without any issues. Yes!!! Potentially, I think it was an issue with the car not being given enough time to recognize the unit during programming. When setting it up, the manual states to turn on the car and wait for a long beep followed by a few short beeps and then, to turn the car off. However, the only times that I've been able to set it up without problems were when I waited up to a minute after the short beeps had already stopped without turning off the car. Seemed to make a difference. Anyway, now I just need a new Ipod/IPhone cable for charging and I'm all set.

Although now, when I get the new cable, I'll have to go all the way back in and swap out the multi-unit/nav connector again since its connected to the IPhone/IPod cable. Just one more time I guess...no big deal.
Old 03-06-11, 08:54 PM
rx400h1976
Rookie

Let me see if I remember correctly on how to get the VAIS to simple mode - Start the car, turn off the stereo. Turn on the stereo and within 2 or 5 seconds, press the SCAN button eight times and the VAIS unit should switch to simple mode.
Tomorrow, i will take pictures with the firmware showing up and post them.
FYI - Since mine is a 2008 with Gen 5 Nav, VAIS is setup in MP3 emulation mode.

Last edited by rx400h1976; 03-07-11 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Editing to correct the button to press
Old 03-07-11, 05:44 AM
Ernietheat
Driver School Candidate

Default New VAIS unit

I spoke with VAIS re IPad support and playing Movies. The guy indicated they have a new product coming out in about a month which will do IPad, and video. I searched their website for it, then sent an email to get on the waiting list. I will post it's capabilities as soon as I know. It sounded good, but for some reason will not play a movie to the rear screen.
Old 03-07-11, 06:53 AM
rx400h1976
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ernietheat
I spoke with VAIS re IPad support and playing Movies. The guy indicated they have a new product coming out in about a month which will do IPad, and video. I searched their website for it, then sent an email to get on the waiting list. I will post it's capabilities as soon as I know. It sounded good, but for some reason will not play a movie to the rear screen.
Hmmm, interesting. It will definitely be interesting to see how things go with iPad integration.
Was there any indication on the price?

Keep us posted.
Old 03-07-11, 02:47 PM
rx400h1976
Rookie

Here is the picture of the screen showing the firmware version which is v4.50
Old 03-07-11, 02:57 PM
rx400h1976
Rookie

Looks like the attachment did not make it to the post.
Old 03-07-11, 04:15 PM
mctufts
Rookie

Thanks rx4001976. I figured out how to see the version...just had to press text on the CD player while in Simple Mode. I have version 4.48, which is pretty recent so I don't think I'll have to get the USB adapter.

Also, instead of getting a new IPhone/IPod connector from VAIS (80-90 dollars!) to try to correct the noise and charging issue, I looked online and found a 12V to 5V adapter that plugs right in between the IPhone cable from the VAIS and the IPhone itself for $30, the Scosche PASSport. Isimple and XGT make them as well from $15-20 but there were more reviews for the PASSport and you can find it more easily being sold in local stores. Anyway, it works great as now, I can charge my IPhone and the issue of the sound shifting between speakers when moving my IPhone around has been corrected as well it seems.

Also, I'm thinking of doing a write-up of the Beat Sonic DVD bypass installation with pics. Think I should post it on this thread or just start a new one?
Old 03-07-11, 07:14 PM
rx400h1976
Rookie

Great to hear that all is well in the RX-iPod integration land.
So, it was the 12v to 5v issue. Cool.

I have another post with the BeatSonic DVD bypass. You could post the pics there and contribute to that post.
Old 03-09-11, 11:46 PM
mctufts
Rookie

So finally, a review of the SL2Vi:

Installation was a breeze. As you can see from previous posts, its just a plug and play unit (with audio only units only requiring removal of the stereo) and can be easily mounted with velcro behind the panel of the left side of the passenger footwell.

In regards to audio playback, the sound quality is fantastic, hands down better than any FM adapter or cassette adapter I've used in the past, with no static or noise in the background when audio playback is occurring. (there was initially an issue with the playback shifting between speakers but was corrected when I bought a 12V to 5V adapter since my VAIS unit was older) Its also better than AUX cables I've used in the past although in that case, it was factory installed and I think they might have done it incorrectly because there was a LOT of static when playing music from my IPhone with it (in a different car).

In regards to video playback, I couldn't be happier with it as the quality when playing videos or even Netflix on my screen is great. Although with Netflix, it would depend on the strength of your 3G connection. Switching between the two modes is as easy as pressing the DISC button on my radio set. And I can go back and forth between other functions such as Climate control, with the Nav reverting back to the video after a short while.

As far as functionality goes, the unit as well as my IPhone 4 are recognized every time I turn on my car and plug my phone in, automatically starting at the beginning of the last song I was playing and automatically charging. There have been no issues with having to restart the car or replug in the IPhone to get the unit to recognize the IPhone.

If you're just looking for audio playback, I don't see why you couldn't go with a Grom, USA-Spec, or DICE adapter. Compared to the cheapest VAIS audio only unit, the SL2i ($200 I think), they're still much less expensive and I believe they can do everything the VAIS unit can, if not more (with the Grom, you can add Bluetooth and USB functionality and DICE has a the Mediabridge that has many additional functions as well). But if you want both audio/video playback integrated in your vehicle, I think its a great solution.

Anyone care to share their experiences with the other brands? I'm particularly interested in those who own the Grom adapter as I was about to purchase it before finding a great deal on the VAIS unit.
Old 03-10-11, 06:04 AM
rx400h1976
Rookie

mctufts, thanks for the summary and sharing your experience. Looks like you are a happy camper