Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Need advice on which IPod interface to install

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-11, 05:09 PM
mctufts
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on which IPod interface to install

Hello,

I have been looking into adding Ipod integration into my 2006 rx400h. There are a ridiculous number of options out there and also, many different threads covering various strengths and weaknesses of some of the more popular models such as Grom, VAIS, DICE, ISimple and USA-Spec. I just wanted to see what experiences other 400h (any year) owners have had who installed aftermarket Ipod interfaces.

VAIS seems to be the most reliable of the bunch from what I can tell as owners rave about the quality of sound and ease of use but starting at $200 just for Ipod integration is a bit pricey.

And pretty much, for the rest, it seems like its been a mixed bag. With Grom and DICE, when working, people have mentioned excellent results but also, there have been many reported issues with both, ie. the stereo not recognizing the existence of the adapter, requiring repeated turning off and on of the engine for the Grom, or with DICE, many minor issues such as text not appearing as it should. And for ISimple and USA-Spec, there just doesn't seem to be much in the way of user reviews for either one.

So any recommendations ore reviews of these products from other 400H owners? Thanks a lot!
Old 02-28-11, 07:26 PM
rx400h1976
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have installed VAIS in my 400h. After seeing the interface, my friend wanted me to install it in his RX350. I can say, it works great and the ability to control the iPod/iPhone is just awesome. I had installed the iSimple(PXAMG) in my previous Acura and comparing the two (control and nav screen integration), VAIS is light years ahead.
There are also few threads on the stereo removal, iPod unit placement etc. If you need further instructions or have questions, I would be happy to help!
Good luck
Old 02-28-11, 08:06 PM
mctufts
Rookie

That was very helpful. Thanks! After doing some research (well, reading as many reviews as I could find either on car forums or just Amazon), it really does seem as though VAIS has the least amount of issues amongst IPOD adapters. This obviously isn't to say its flawless as I did find complaints about it online but they definitely seem to be far and few between compared to other brands. Would you mind me asking what model you have and where you mounted it?

I've purchased the stereo removal guide from www.carstereoremoval.com for my particular RX for $5. Pretty good guide although somewhat minimalist. Also, there have been plenty of helpful pictures posted online from other people's installation experiences such as at https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-04-07-rx.html

They've definitely made me less nervous about installation. Any tips off the top of your head in regards to installation to make things easier or to limit scratches to the dash?

So its pretty much come down to either a Grom (Ipod, bluetooth capability and extra AUX input), a VAIS SL2-up (Ipod only), a VAIS SL2Vi (video and audio), or a VAIS VML (USB and IPod capability). Although the VML looks pretty big, not sure where I'd fit it! Although VAIS seems to be the best as already mentioned, Grom is still in the running because it packs all that functionality into a pretty good price ($95). Again, just not sure if they've finally worked out all those bugs I've read about. Of note, all of these models come with the capability to charge the IPod too which is great.

Again, thanks for the help rx400h1976. Its much appreciated!
Old 03-01-11, 05:32 AM
rcy
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Stereo removal..

Look here, at the bottom after all the TSBs

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...howtopic=58929
Old 03-01-11, 11:50 AM
mctufts
Rookie

Nice guide! Thanks for the link rcy. Its actually better than the one I paid for...oh well.

Anyway, decided to go with the VAIS SL2Vi. When I end up installing it, I will take pics if that would help...although it seems there are enough guides with pictures already up (the one just mentioned).

I'm looking forward to having Ipod/Iphone integration in the vehicle and the video to the nav screen sounds great too although that might be more of a novelty since VAIS states that it can only be watched with the parking brake on. Suppose I could go ahead and do the DVD hack that's been posted online but although it looks simple enough, I think it voids the warranty so don't want to risk it. Oh and the fact that it's probably not the best idea to watch videos while driving.

Anyone else have this specific VAIAS model running in their 400h?
Old 03-01-11, 07:01 PM
mctufts
Rookie

I actually was all set to get a Grom but got a good deal on a VAIS SL2Vi on EBay. It is a used unit, bought 2008, and updated with firmware 4 months ago. Owner had it taken out of his 2006 IS when trading it in and was selling for $150. So hopefully, everything works and I'm not getting ripped off for trying to be too cost conscious!

As for the Grom, like I said, I was ready to purchase it because you get so many functions for such a great price, ie. Bluetooth (have to buy an extra BT dongle for $45), AUX capability (cable is $10), IPod capability, and even USB capabilities, all for $125 (unless you get the BT dongle or AUX cable) Oh and it comes with an IPod charger/connecter. The only issue that concerned me with the Grom was that initially, there were many issues that needed to be worked out after it was released? Follow the thread to see what I mean. http://my.is/forums/f103/ipod-contro...n-play-347712/

What did impress me though was how obvious it was that Grom cared a lot about their customers and was very responsive to them in terms of trying to troubleshoot issues and correct them. Shouldn't they have done that BEFORE it was released. In any case, I'm assuming that most of those issues have been worked out since then. Still though, you can find some similar complaints occasionally from more recent customers (thread was from 2008 I think) although there do seem to be less. It was these issues that made me hesitate. But keep in mind that there's A LOT of positive feedback out there as well.

Anyway, I'll let you know how the installation goes and will takes pics. One question I have for those who have installed it already is, where did you funnel the wires to in your 2006 rx400h? In other vehicles, you can funnel to your armrest, which is what I would have preferred but there is a gap between the shifter and my armrest area so I can't do that. I guess it'll have to exit the center console someplace?
Old 03-01-11, 08:01 PM
rx400h1976
Rookie

I got the VAIS SLi2-UP. Installation location - From the passenger side, if you look at the bottom dash, you will see two plastic holders. Pry them off with a screw driver. Now gently wiggle the section and you will see a great location (with velcro in place!). I put velcro on the back on the VAIS unit and put it on the existing velcro. I mounted it here because it made for an easy access spot, less vibration and very convenient for routing the iPod cable to either the glove box or close to the center console.
The other benefit is that if there any firmware upgrades, I can access the VAIS unit without needing to open up my stereo again.
Once you have the stereo, connect the Y harness to the cable going to the VAIS unit.
Drop/fish this cable to the passenger foot well.
Now connect the iPod cable and the other cable that you just dropped from the radio.

Couple of caution/things to double check before you start with your install:
1. You said you bought the unit off of eBay (great price BTW), I would double check to ensure that both the IS and the RX use the same harness to connect the radio.
2. Since you got both audio and video, double check the harness to the navigation unit.

Tips about the install:
1. Take your time with the whole process.
2. Have the right tools - to remove the 4 10 mm allen bolts, extension to remove 2 of the allen bolts, screw driver to pry plastic screws etc, electrical insulation tape (use this to cover up the cable ends while running them behind the radio to avoid damaging the plugs), 1-2 hand towels, flash light.
3. I am pretty sure you have the instructions to remove the radio so will not elaborate on it. However, use the hand towels while placing the radio on the gear shifter.
4. Before attempting to remove any of the Allen bolts, spread the towels underneath. This is to catch any of the bolts that might fall.
5. Once you have all the wires connected up, test your iPod interface by initializing the VAIS unit and checking the text functionality on the NAV screen.
6. While putting the radio back together, use small piece of electrical tape to hold the Allen bolts in place (especially for the Allen bolts that are at an angle). Once you have the bolt in place, pull back the extension, remove the tape and tighten the bolt fully.

That is all I can think of now. If you need any additional information on the above steps, let me know.

Good luck.
Old 03-01-11, 11:45 PM
mctufts
Rookie

Those were some really great tips rx4001976. They'll definitely help make the installation smoother. And I like the location you picked for installing it because of the convenience in accessing it in the future. Most people have just mounted it to the radio which would necessitate removing your dash every time! So I think I'll mount it in the same place and run the cables out, and then along the right side of the center console to connect to my IPhone, probably held on a cigarette lighter mount. No drilling necessary!

Did you disconnect the negative end of the battery when doing the install? Some guides don't mention it but Lexus officially recommends it when removing the stereo. Also, do all the pieces, ie. trim, nav, radio, all fit back securely without issue? No new rattles/noises after installation from loose pieces?

Thanks again for all the advice!
Old 03-02-11, 06:24 AM
rx400h1976
Rookie

Glad to help!
Did not disconnect the battery. All the pieces fit back together (just make sure that the new harness/cables are not getting in the way while mounting the nav/radio. I had that happen with the nav and was the new harness, moved it around and everything went fine after that.
No rattle, no noises. You can't even know that anything was changed except your RX can now play iPod/iPhone and the nav screen is integrated with it.
For the first install, it took me a good 2 hours (I was also installing the nav override and the phone/mp3 override). The second one on my friends RX 350 about an hour and 10 mins.
Old 03-02-11, 05:15 PM
mctufts
Rookie

I'm rethinking whether or not I should do the nav and dvd hacks since I'm going to be opening up the dashboard anyway. My main reason for hesitation is the voiding of the warranty but also, I've read that there are issues after hacking the nav so that you can input addresses while in motion. Specifically, the navigation becomes "jumpy" since it is only relying on the GPS and not speed inputs. Has this been an issue for you? As for grounding the parking brake wire, there don't seem to be any issues with that. Unfortunately, I think you have to do both for the DVD hack. I wonder if doing the software hack (Menu --> Volume --> Upper left, bottom left, upper left, bottom left --> Override) and grounding the parking brake wire alone would do the same thing as doing both hacks.

Anyway, thanks again as always for the tips. I can't thank you enough for answering all my questions as they pop up!
Old 03-02-11, 07:57 PM
rx400h1976
Rookie

I had to do the hardware hack for the nav override (generation 5 Lexus/Toyota Navigation systems), so can't comment on the software hack for your 2006.
There is another thread where I posted details on the override kit for the nav and mp3/phone/dvd. The kit is made by BeatSonic and is complete plug and play. No cutting of any wires. All the changes can be reversed easily and the dealer would never even know.
Old 03-03-11, 03:13 AM
mctufts
Rookie

Ah, so I found a thread from 2006 explaining how to hack the DVD system ONLY and NOT the Nav system. It was explained pretty well at the following link. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hyb...th-bypass.html

This way, you don't even mess with the Nav which is ok since 2006 owners who haven't updated their Nav DVDs can just do the software hack anyway AND you get DVD playback while driving (again for passengers)! The only drawback that was mentioned is that the picture on the Nav screen that shows your wheels turning while you drive will NOT show them moving anymore. But apparently, doesn't seem to affect anything else, ie. fuel consumption.

Still, there's wire cutting involved so will likely void the warranty. Debating whether of not to do the mod or buy a kit such as the one from Beat Sonic ($95), Coastaltech ($229), or Prestigious Society ($1000...kidding, 350) At least those are 'plug and play.' Was your Beat Sonic pretty easy to install rx400h1976?
Old 03-03-11, 06:14 AM
rx400h1976
Rookie

Yes, BeatSonic was pretty straight forward. Good $95 to spend, IMO. Once you have your nav unit open (after the audio), it takes about 3 mins. Plug out the connection to nav, insert the new harness, set the switch to TV (can be left in this mode and does not affect anything with the wheels in motion etc), ground the wire (attach it to the Allen bolt while fastening the nav unit bolt.
Done.
This also makes the iPod screen accessible while the car is in motion (example playlists, artists, songs etc) plus you can make phone calls.
All this while using extreme caution while driving.
Old 03-03-11, 09:07 PM
mctufts
Rookie

So I'm picking up the VAIS tomorrow actually. Pretty excited about it as you guys have been able to tell. Oh and for those looking for a deal, I saw a SL2i on Ebay going for a great Buy it Now price. Search "VAIS SL2i". I had asked the seller some questions about the unit too before so if you need more details, just ask.

As for my decision to either hack my DVD player with wire-cutting or going with a plug and play unit, that issue has been resolved! I was looking at the Beat Sonic website and saw that their US location was 30-40 minutes away from me (its in La Mirada, CA) so I called and asked if I could pick up a DVD unit. I spoke with Eric and his partner, Sam...both very friendly and helpful, and was told I could pick one up. They even offered to install it in exchange for taking pics of the installation since they hadn't installed one in a 2006 rx400h before and wanted to get a look at the Nav wiring, because in this particular model, when doing a Nav mod, you have to gain access to wires in the trunk as opposed to in other models, where everything is done in the front. I was NOT getting the Nav mod though, just the DVD mod.

When I got there, sure enough, thy did the installation, which took maybe about 20-30 minutes. As I'm installing a VAIS either tomorrow or this weekend, I tried to observe carefully. After the installation of the DVD mod, we took it for a test drive and it worked beautifully. By switching the unit on, you gained both Bluetooth and DVD capability. Since nothing was done to the Nav, there were no complications with that. The only thing that indicated that any modification was done was on the fuel consumption page, the Energy screen, the wheels were NOT turning as I drove. However, simply by turning off the mod with the flip of a switch, they began turning once more. This was actually explained on an aforementioned thread and is the ONLY consequence of the DVD mod...that and crashing if you're watching a DVD yourself while driving.

So as I said, they took a lot of pics of the install and will send them my way for posting them up. I expect that will happen in the next few days. A few notes:
- The switch was installed right underneath the glove department, with the wire being funneled out of the right side of the center console, in the footwell, over a panel that is easily removed. Nice and hidden, which is good since as mentioned before, not the most attractive switch.
- If you don't care about the wheels not being in motion on the fuel consumption screen (ie., out of warranty, not worried about making your dealership suspicious of modification), then I'm not sure why it would even be necessary to get the switch. You could just not install the switch part of the unit and have the unit active at all times as you can easily switch out of the DVD screen at anytime.
- Besides plugging in the unit, the only other step necessary is grounding a wire from the unit harness. Since it comes with the ground wire separated out from the the unit harness, this is not hard to do. Just find a bolt or screw someplace, loosen it to fit it underneath, and retighten. NO WIRE CUTTING NECESSARY!!! Which is great since I don't think your warranty would be voided. To return to factory, just unplug unit and the ground wire.
- Eric explained that they DO indeed have English instructions now although they are still generic and not vehicle specific.
- The price of JUST the DVD mod is $98 currently.

So I will be posting the pics of the installation soon. Hopefully, that will better answer any additional questions people may have that I can't answer quite as well. Still, I'll try to.
Old 03-04-11, 12:32 AM
mctufts
Rookie

Oh and during the installation, dropped one of the bolts into the dash! Towel unfortunately didn't catch it. Its one of the four that must be removed before removing the stereo, somewhat hidden at an angle. I'm pretty sure I heard it fall and hit the ground of the center console, beneath the shifter. I was thinking about removing the lower dash panel to see if I could find it although it's not causing any rattling or anything at this point. Does anyone know how would I remove the lower dash paneling?

Quick Reply: Need advice on which IPod interface to install