Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Blinking dash some knocking and then dead

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-11, 12:41 PM
dericious
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blinking dash some knocking and then dead

My wife just tried to get into her 2011 RX450h to go out.

she pressed the start button and the dash error lights started blinking, all the needles bounced up and down with the blinking, then the whole dash was blinking and a knocking noise form the engine compartment. then everything reverse order and then nothing, no response.... just dead....

anyone have that happen to them? so much for Japanese reliability.... what a bummer.
Old 03-22-11, 12:50 PM
JimH2
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

No experience with that. I would call the dealer and get their advice since it is under warranty. Offhand, I wonder if it is a low battery charge (battery near dead or low voltage).
Old 03-22-11, 06:27 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by dericious
My wife just tried to get into her 2011 RX450h to go out.

she pressed the start button and the dash error lights started blinking, all the needles bounced up and down with the blinking, then the whole dash was blinking and a knocking noise form the engine compartment. then everything reverse order and then nothing, no response.... just dead....

anyone have that happen to them? so much for Japanese reliability.... what a bummer.
I understand that you're upset, but don't blame Japanese quality unless you have direct knowledge of what is amiss.

Like JimH2 said, it could be a dead battery. Possibly a light was left on or you just have a 'bad' battery. Use your enform and call Lexus. They will send someone to get you going or give you a loaner until they do. Now that's good service don't you think?

But from what you said, it sounds like an under charged battery. Cars with all the computer wizardry like the 450(h) behave weirdly like yours did when the battery is not fully charged. Why it's undercharged would be the question. But your warranty is for the unlikely event something 'does' go wrong, you are taken care of. If it's the battery then the car can't help it.

Last edited by Cruiter; 03-22-11 at 06:30 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-22-11, 10:44 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

I think it is a bad 12v battery . Bad cell or drained with somthing still on? Hope he will tell us so we all can look out for it
Old 03-28-11, 08:50 AM
dericious
Driver School Candidate

Default yep

Everyone was right. dead battery.

So the problem is not with Japanese reliability (cause we aren't Japanese... lol)

either a bad battery or something we something left on. probably the later, because it seems to work okay after a jump from AAA. but we'll see.

odd, though cause the engine was still warm from being driven earlier when this happened... meaning the 12v must be pretty undersized or possibly a bad battery or something.... kind of silly that you have a massive hybrid battery and that it can't charge the 12v when it's dead like it does when the ICE is off but the car is still on.

Anyway, running fine now. Just a crazy way to tell you the battery is dead.
Old 04-23-11, 09:41 PM
chopperpl
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dericious
Everyone was right. dead battery.

So the problem is not with Japanese reliability (cause we aren't Japanese... lol)

either a bad battery or something we something left on. probably the later, because it seems to work okay after a jump from AAA. but we'll see.

odd, though cause the engine was still warm from being driven earlier when this happened... meaning the 12v must be pretty undersized or possibly a bad battery or something.... kind of silly that you have a massive hybrid battery and that it can't charge the 12v when it's dead like it does when the ICE is off but the car is still on.

Anyway, running fine now. Just a crazy way to tell you the battery is dead.
I don't know about RX, but I own gs450h, and it seems there is some sensor that monitors such goofups, and turn things off to prevent complete drainage. I assume this would be the same on RX, so I would have your car checked by the dealer...
Old 07-14-11, 10:02 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

12volt battery has been a major pita with the hybrids...THe RX400h and highlander have had this problem a lot...best resolution is go to aftermarket battery....