Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.
Old 01-07-15, 12:19 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Considering buying a 2006 Lexus RX 400 Hybrid - Advice Please!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-11, 05:16 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 291 Likes on 211 Posts

Thanks to you guys on this forum, I jumped on an 07 400h Ultra Premium package (nav res, mark levinson, etc) with 81K km for $29K at a local Toyota dealer. They also took back my Venza with 13 months still remaining on the lease with no penalty (Venza is a hot seller). This was convenient for me and my preference to do the whole transaction with Toyota r Lexus.

The 400h cosmetically looks great but since I'm no mechanic, I had them write on the contract that the vehicle needs to be inspected and get the "Toyota Used-Car Certified" label (had them write it on the contract).

I pick up the car Tuesday! A couple thing if you guys can help::

1.Is Premium fuel a must? Any negative reliability impacts? With the '04 330 I had I usually put 87 octane and on occasion 89 or 91 even though 91 was recommended. I did notice the engine ran slightly more smoothly with 91
2. I tested the rear DVD. Got the wireless headset to work (was great btw), but I couldn't figure out how to play the dvd from the car's ML sound system in the couple mins I spent on this. Furthermore, when I tried to eject the DVD, it said something like "rear locked" and dvd stayed in there.
Old 04-25-11, 05:16 AM
prowler97
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We also looked at the Venza, but the cargo area was just too small. I could barely fit our baby stroller in the back! Besides for a price of a new Venza I could get a tricked out CPO RX 400h with a 5/50k warranty.

Now I remember how to tell if your battery aux (12V) battery has been trained or replaced. If the moonroof/sunroof does automatically close with one touch. That means the battery has been dead and the ISC needs to be reset and the moonroof reprogrammed.
Old 04-25-11, 12:36 PM
rcy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The only problem with that is if the battery was dead or disconnected and the power windows/hatch and sunroof were reset, but the ISC was never reset at the same time.

It's not gonna hurt to do the ISC reset even if it doesn't need it.
Old 04-30-11, 01:09 PM
Carole4794
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a First Generation RX2006H with 69000 miles. I love it and would purchase another in a heartbeat. As with any vehicle you must keep up the maintenance. I have extended warranty through my insurance company GEICO to 100,000 miles.

No major repairs. Did the 60,000 mile dealer warranty.
The only problem is that recently the LH rear molding fell off. You will notice lots of post on this subject. You need to check both the left and right to make sure they are secure. If they are not you can secure with silicon or ask the dealer to secure them

Good Luck
Old 06-15-11, 07:07 PM
Djeung
Driver School Candidate

Sorry to jump in late on this post, but I have a similar question about an '06 rx400h. I have an opportunity to purchase an '06 rx400h with 83,000 miles for $21k. VIN# is about 18xxx. Is this something I should be considering? Is an extended warranty a definite must? I know that the 90k service will be needed soon, but it has a new set of blizzaks plus the dealer is putting on another set of tires for me. I've owned an LS400 before and put 179k miles on it with very few problems, but I'm new to the hybrid arena and am a bit worried about the inverter issue I've seen mentioned... I'd love some opinions on price here.

Thanks!
Old 06-18-11, 07:49 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

I bought a 2008 in march for 24k out the door including tax....it had 88k miles. The timing belt will be due at 90k, but should go an easy 100k miles...I presently have 95k miles...love the vehicle....
Old 06-20-11, 01:33 AM
Carole4794
Driver School Candidate

We have a 2006 Hybird and love it. Have not had any major problems. Have 60k miles. The plastic moulding felling off the rear window. But after a long letter to Lexus, they replace free of charge. As with anything the dealership is the key and you can use a toyota dealer.

i am very happy
Old 09-13-11, 04:47 PM
kuduhunter
Driver School Candidate

I just purchased a 2006 RX 400h. In reading the above posts can someone explain more about resetting the ISC? I did try the sunroof today and it does not close automatically but have to hold the switch. What does that mean?
Old 09-16-11, 02:30 PM
rcy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You need to reset the sunroof switch (and maybe the window switches if they don't go auto up and auto down). Instructions in the owner's manual. For the ISC reset - look at www.lexusownersclub.com in the hybrid forum. Instructions are in a sticky there. Also in that forum is a nice list of TSBs that I posted there. The tsbs are good reading.
The following users liked this post:
ReeRee7482 (06-10-20)
Old 12-19-11, 03:36 PM
hooch
Driver School Candidate

Hi, I was wondering if any 2006 400 h owners have experienced a click or clunk on initial cold start and also what the pattern for ICE running while driving. I did the computer reset myself and find it running differant now being, when warm off at every stop and STARTS IMMEDIATELY upon light gas pedal when taking off.
Thanks
Old 12-26-11, 05:22 AM
prowler97
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had no issues thus far with my 2006 RX 400h. We have but about 20k miles in the last 16 months. I got my 400h with a CPO warranty for around $25k. That was an awesome price for an AWD model.
Old 07-06-16, 08:56 AM
arsooner
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A/C Just Quit

Originally Posted by thomas1
I bought a 2008 in march for 24k out the door including tax....it had 88k miles. The timing belt will be due at 90k, but should go an easy 100k miles...I presently have 95k miles...love the vehicle....
Thomas1:
06 RX 400h, 91K: Drove to work AM w/a/c, parked it all day and PM started and no A/C. No codes; runs great; main battery almost 90% +/- (discharges and charges back), overall perfect but the A/C. Fuse, hope like hell not compressor ($1.9K). Ideas ???
Old 02-24-18, 04:36 PM
LarryJ63
Driver School Candidate

Default I am looking to buy a 2008 Lexus rx400 Hybrid with 124,000 miles on it

I am looking to buy a 2008 Lexus rx400 Hybrid with 124,000 miles on it anything I should know about this year or anything on the 2008 that goes wrong on these that's costly I read some of the form here and it sounds like the 2006 has got some issues but I'm wondering about the 2008 when it's got a hundred twenty four thousand miles the previous owner was a 60 year old man he traded it in and he did all the maintenance everything records from what the car dealer tells me they want $13,000 this Lexus what seems like a pretty good deal for a 2008 with this low of miles any advice you can give me any known issues that could be very expensive for me I would really appreciate your input guys I thank you so much you have no idea how much of a help these forms have been to me with my RX300 that I absolutely love but now it's driving me up the wall with sensors constantly going out and I really like the idea to better fuel economy with a hybrid and the newer features and options any advice would be so grateful
THANK YOU,
LARRY

QUOTE=pdxamg;6251289]I've been a lifetime Saab owner but am ready to throw in the towel and make a switch. First, I'd like to start driving a hybrid and I like the idea of having more space for my family - so an SUV is appealing. Second, I'm tired of dealing with the local Saab mechanics. There is only one dealer left (we stopped using them a few years ago), and the shop we take our saab to now is not convenient, very professional, or affordable.

I have a couple of concerns about buying a Lexus -
(1) am I going to run in to similar mechanic / dealership issues?
(2) will it be more expensive to service than a saab?
(3) how regularly can I expect to be in the shop with a vehicle that has about 50,000 miles on it? am I just asking for trouble? does the hybrid technology make the car more expensive to service?

thanks in advance for any advice![/QUOTE]
Old 02-25-18, 06:54 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

I too had the RX300 and loved it, (had transmission failure) But had it repaired and drove for 6 more years. However the 2008 RX400h is by far the best and most fun to drive vehicle I have ever had. I bought with 89 k miles and now have 220k miles. Other than one hybrid cooling pump failure it has been excellent. I have changed the timing belt twice and all shocks and lower control arms which brought the ride back to normal. The fuel economy is consistently 23 to 25 no matter how I drive it. (much better than the RX300). If you are concerned about service any Toyota dealership can do the same as the Lexus dealership as the Toyota Camry & Highlander hybrid are basically the same beast. Service should include the typical timing belt, water pump, and fluids. There are some expensive systems unlike the RX300 like electrically operated brake pump systems. The Brakes by the way last forever. I am on my second set of brakes at 220k miles. There are no fan belts. I would highly recommend to have the CVT transmission fluid changed even though they will tell you it is lifetime. Mine was very dirty at 89k miles. Look for any coolant leaks in the hybrid system as that is very expensive, but not that common a problem. The leather in these cars is not quite as good as the RX300 but is fine. The new bells and whistles such as back up camera, hid lights, are awesome and the Car turns better than the RX300. The smoothness and excelleration are incredible. Car is a real road cruiser. Any Toyota mechanic can do the routine maintenance. I would start with all fluids being changed and than enjoy the car.
The following 2 users liked this post by thomas1:
LarryJ63 (02-25-18), ReeRee7482 (06-10-20)
Old 02-25-18, 08:36 PM
LarryJ63
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by thomas1
I too had the RX300 and loved it, (had transmission failure) But had it repaired and drove for 6 more years. However the 2008 RX400h is by far the best and most fun to drive vehicle I have ever had. I bought with 89 k miles and now have 220k miles. Other than one hybrid cooling pump failure it has been excellent. I have changed the timing belt twice and all shocks and lower control arms which brought the ride back to normal. The fuel economy is consistently 23 to 25 no matter how I drive it. (much better than the RX300). If you are concerned about service any Toyota dealership can do the same as the Lexus dealership as the Toyota Camry & Highlander hybrid are basically the same beast. Service should include the typical timing belt, water pump, and fluids. There are some expensive systems unlike the RX300 like electrically operated brake pump systems. The Brakes by the way last forever. I am on my second set of brakes at 220k miles. There are no fan belts. I would highly recommend to have the CVT transmission fluid changed even though they will tell you it is lifetime. Mine was very dirty at 89k miles. Look for any coolant leaks in the hybrid system as that is very expensive, but not that common a problem. The leather in these cars is not quite as good as the RX300 but is fine. The new bells and whistles such as back up camera, hid lights, are awesome and the Car turns better than the RX300. The smoothness and excelleration are incredible. Car is a real road cruiser. Any Toyota mechanic can do the routine maintenance. I would start with all fluids being changed and than enjoy the car.
thank you Thomas , great help