Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

New owner of RX400h... or am I?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-11, 07:18 PM
dino
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner of RX400h... or am I?

OK, went over to the dealership and pretty much sealed a deal for a CPO 2006 RX400h with 62,000 miles. I've done a ton of research and I've previously owned a 99 GS400, which I loved.

However, the dealer seems to be playing games with me. When I met the salesman, he said the car was going to be ready in a few days and that it is going through a "safety campaign" and waiting for parts from Japan.

At the end of the deal, he now says it will be ready by the end of the month. I've already put my refundable deposit on the car, and settled on the final price but haven't signed any papers yet.

Is this related to the safety recall? I really don't mind if it is, but he insisted it isn't. Am I getting the end around here? I'm ready to pay and drive the car off the lot. Anyone know what could be holding this up?
Old 07-18-11, 10:29 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

There is currently a recall on the inverter, Maybe you can sign some interim papers, be patient if it is the inverter recall it is worth the wait, giving you more reliablity in the future of a very expensive part of the hybrid system...It is a mandatory recall. It covers the 2006 and 2007 vehicles. The failure has been costing folks around $7000....apparently some circuitry was failing and causing complete shutdown of the vehicle.
Old 07-18-11, 11:45 PM
dino
Driver

I suspected it was the recall, but why wouldn't the salesman be upfront about it?
Old 07-19-11, 11:58 AM
rcy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

There was also a recall on the electric power steering rack. It was from a while ago, but if the previous owner never had it done, they might also be working on that.

My best guess, though, is that it's the current inverter control board recall that they are talking about. Maybe they don't want to give you the vehicle knowing that the recall is outstanding because of liability issues?

Why don't you get the VIN and call Lexus corporate and ask if there are any outstanding recalls on that VIN. They may also tell you how many previous owners there were. Alternatively, you could get the VIN and do a Carfax etc.
Old 07-19-11, 12:00 PM
dino
Driver

Originally Posted by rcy
There was also a recall on the electric power steering rack. It was from a while ago, but if the previous owner never had it done, they might also be working on that.

My best guess, though, is that it's the current inverter control board recall that they are talking about. Maybe they don't want to give you the vehicle knowing that the recall is outstanding because of liability issues?

Why don't you get the VIN and call Lexus corporate and ask if there are any outstanding recalls on that VIN. They may also tell you how many previous owners there were. Alternatively, you could get the VIN and do a Carfax etc.
I called my salesman and when I mentioned it was the Inverter recall he admitted it was the Inverter, but "it wasn't a recall, but a safety campaign from Lexus".

I'm pretty certain it is a recall, and I hate dishonesty. I just want to drive it off the lot already.
Old 07-19-11, 01:59 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by dino
I called my salesman and when I mentioned it was the Inverter recall he admitted it was the Inverter, but "it wasn't a recall, but a safety campaign from Lexus".

I'm pretty certain it is a recall, and I hate dishonesty. I just want to drive it off the lot already.
Be patient and be optimistic that the dealership is actually doing the right thing for you, the customer. One of my retirements was from the retail end of the auto business and and many times a sales person is afraid to say something like that to a customer for fear of the customer not understanding and breaking off the deal. If it's a CPO car then the dealership will insist on getting it right before you get it. Less problems for you and less problems for them.

RE: the recall, so few cars have been involved as far as having an issue it's really minor but the Lexus stand is fix it and then it won't be a problem. That fact should make you feel pretty confident.

Happy driving
Old 07-19-11, 09:19 PM
rcy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Salesman is right actually. It's not a government mandated recall, but an internal "campaign", which just means they are doing it voluntarily before the government forces them to. Regardless, the outcome is still the same. The defective part gets repaired/replaced.
Old 07-26-11, 11:36 AM
dino
Driver

Just got back from the dealership to talk to a sales manager and they have cleared things up for me.

The car I am purchasing is definitely part of the safety campaign/recall so I won't be able to officially pick it up until that is fixed. The part is backordered in Japan, so the timetable is going to be early/mid August as of now.

The car is definitely sold to me and we have agreed on a price. I am very excited, but I just hate the waiting game.

Thank you all for your help.