Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 4GS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation GS models.

NOT waiting for the 2013 GS 450h anymore

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-11, 01:10 PM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NOT waiting for the 2013 GS 450h anymore

I was kind of excited about the 2013 GS 450h for awhile, though my excitement has been dampened by the news that it will likely have a largely similar power plant as my 2007 GS 450h.

Well, I'm waiting no more. I leased a 2012 Infiniti M35h last weekend. This car is very similar to the GS 450h in terms of power, features, fuel economy, etc. One huge difference is price. On the surface, when you look at MSRPs, the M seems to be just a bit cheaper than the Lexus, but the real differences will blow your mind.

My zero-down lease for 36 months and 12K miles a year for the M35h with Premium package (navigation and upgraded stereo) is $553 a month. For those of you who have leased, would know immediately that this is $300 - $400 less than a comparable GS 450h lease is going to be. There are two reasons for that:

1. Purchase price for my $59K MSRP M35h was $52,800 - $1,500 under invoice. Quite shocking for a car that's been out for only two months. Nevertheless, the price is real and available to anyone through Zag.com. Just enter zipcode 22102 and it will come up. The dealer is the Infiniti of Tysons Corner.

Similarly configured 2011 GS 450h best price I've seen is $60K. I expect the actual prices for the 2013 model to be higher because it will not be discounted as much.

2. Infiniti is now using inflated subsidized residuals similar to BMW's. My residual is 61% whereas 2011 GS residuals are in the 53-55% range.

I also took advantage of the multiple security deposit feature to reduce my money factor by 60%.

So if you are waiting for the new GS hybrid, you may want to give the M hybrid a close look.
Old 09-08-11, 01:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 188 Likes on 146 Posts

congrats on your m35h!

but yes, not surprising. lexus has always have pretty bad lease deals, they are more focused on full sales rather than just lease. infiniti is like bmw and mb where their lease deals are far more attractive
Old 09-08-11, 02:55 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats on the car but had you waited a few more days you would have known all you needed about the GS450h to make a decision.
Old 09-08-11, 04:15 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm not impressed with Infiniti build quality, that being said you did get a good lease deal but if you just held off a few more days, you would've known more more in detail about the new GS450h.

Besides, driving a Lexus is just on another level than driving Infiniti.
Old 09-08-11, 06:22 PM
LexFather

Modeler sorry to see you leave the GSh,I've really enjoyed your posts over the years. Your post is how Infiniti sells the little volume they do, cheapo leases. It makes me question do people buy the car b/c they feel its better or just b/c they got a great payment. Great for the consumer I guess but how sustainable is it for a luxury brand? I think you are the first online to purchase, the car sadly has no buzz. The ratings seem promising and I welcome another luxury hybrid to the fold but I'm unsure about the tech from a brand who's CEO blatantly hated hybrids just a few years ago. I know the Lexus tech is proven, I hope the Nissan tech holds up and does well. Competition is good.

I've driven the M56S and its nice but it rode horrid, the squiggly lines all over made me dizzy and it didn't feel worth the money. Then it shares its platform with the 370Z, it just didn't feel special but just a big bigger Z which some people like and are fine with. Different strokes for different folks.

I look forward to your write-ups in the future on your new car and thanks for being one of the first here with a GS 450h.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 09-08-11 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Removed inappropriate commentary. Pm if you want to discuss as in TOS
Old 09-08-11, 06:53 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
I'm not impressed with Infiniti build quality, that being said you did get a good lease deal but if you just held off a few more days, you would've known more more in detail about the new GS450h.

You are welcome to your opinion, but I really don't know where it is coming from. I've owned three Infinitis - my last being an M45 Sport (2006). It was much sportier than my GS350, so it's not comparing apples to apples, but I can tell you that from a quality and refinement standpoint I think they are very comparable.

I lease my car, and at those lease deals I'd probably make the move back to an M as well. But I'd probably try to get into an M56. I hear there are some smoking deals on them.
Old 09-08-11, 08:29 PM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have waited.

But congrats on the new car.
Old 09-09-11, 06:56 AM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

I just didn't see the point of waiting. I already knew how the car would look, and I know what the price is likely to be. So there was absolutely nothing that Lexus could reveal about the powerplant changes that could possibly be worth spending extra $10,000 or more on the GS 450h over M35h.
Old 09-09-11, 07:03 AM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

1SICKLEX, thank you for the kind words.

I must say I'm surprised about the perception some of the posters seem to have about the M. It has been a top or #2 car in a number of auto magazine comparisons over the last several years, and is universally considered to be a better handling car than the GS. Personally, though I love my 2007 GS 450h, I have always wished for sportier handling, and have frequently considered getting a BMW 550i or M45 / M56. Before I discovered GS450h at the end of 2006, I was all ready to buy M45. But the promise of HOV exemption and V8 power with V6 mileage won over at the time. Now, I finally can select M and not sacrifice the HOV exemption or mileage.

I feel the design of the new M is beautiful inside and out, and is very much comparable to what I have seen of the 2013 GS. I do realize that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so I don't expect consensus on the question of looks.
Old 09-10-11, 07:13 PM
ingoodtime
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Modeler
I was kind of excited about the 2013 GS 450h for awhile, though my excitement has been dampened by the news that it will likely have a largely similar power plant as my 2007 GS 450h.

Well, I'm waiting no more. I leased a 2012 Infiniti M35h last weekend. This car is very similar to the GS 450h in terms of power, features, fuel economy, etc. One huge difference is price. On the surface, when you look at MSRPs, the M seems to be just a bit cheaper than the Lexus, but the real differences will blow your mind.

My zero-down lease for 36 months and 12K miles a year for the M35h with Premium package (navigation and upgraded stereo) is $553 a month. For those of you who have leased, would know immediately that this is $300 - $400 less than a comparable GS 450h lease is going to be. There are two reasons for that:

1. Purchase price for my $59K MSRP M35h was $52,800 - $1,500 under invoice. Quite shocking for a car that's been out for only two months. Nevertheless, the price is real and available to anyone through Zag.com. Just enter zipcode 22102 and it will come up. The dealer is the Infiniti of Tysons Corner.

Similarly configured 2011 GS 450h best price I've seen is $60K. I expect the actual prices for the 2013 model to be higher because it will not be discounted as much.

2. Infiniti is now using inflated subsidized residuals similar to BMW's. My residual is 61% whereas 2011 GS residuals are in the 53-55% range.

I also took advantage of the multiple security deposit feature to reduce my money factor by 60%.

So if you are waiting for the new GS hybrid, you may want to give the M hybrid a close look.
BMW has had some resale issues with preloved cars due rediculous residuals. While it may help people get into a new vehicle, it seems when turned in, the lots are full of them because prices are nuts. Onlyrecently am I seeing decent pricing on pre loved bimmers.
Old 09-11-11, 03:14 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star

Would you please tell us what level is that?
Old 09-11-11, 08:04 AM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

My biggest issue is the look of the new M. I can't warm up to it. The other concern would be the unproven aspect of Infiniti hybrid technology. Other than that it sounds like a smoking deal for you OP.
Old 09-11-11, 10:12 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Modeler

so hows the M37h compare in mpg and speed? shouldnt it be quite faster and also a lot more frugal?
Old 09-11-11, 04:28 PM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
so hows the M37h compare in mpg and speed? shouldnt it be quite faster and also a lot more frugal?
The mileage is better, but I haven't even finished one tank yet. The computer shows 25 mpg average so far. This is 2 mpg better than I have been getting in my mix of driving with the 450h.

It's hard to tell about the power since the feel of this car with conventional transmission is very different from the CVT on the 450h. I liked having CVT better, but I'm sure I'll get used to the normal transmission again. The M is certainly no less powerful than 450h. I doubt if it is noticeably more powerful. One big difference is in the engine noise. The M's growl is WAY more pleasant than the sound of the gas engine in the 450h under full throttle. It's a deep sporty growl that does not sound strained.

The throttle and break pedals are more touchy, but I'm already getting used to that.
Old 09-11-11, 07:28 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

congrats on the new car,,personally dont care for M's. like the G's tho. in the process of selling my GS350 right now and looking everywhere for my next car. pretty sure GS will update their engines by second year but i gotta get rid of my car before new one comes out in feb.

Quick Reply: NOT waiting for the 2013 GS 450h anymore