Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 4GS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation GS models.

GS450h leaked - same hp but a lot better mpg

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-11, 10:35 AM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This video came out great...
http://www.youtube.com/lexuseurope#p.../1/fjhvnNVg4AQ
Old 09-15-11, 02:38 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LexIS007
You heard from me first.....the 4GS will be the last GS model made by Lexus...not because its not attractive, or not powerful enough, or etc... It's because Mr. Toyoda DOES NOT like this car and therefore, there will be little to no effort put into this model range moving forward! Shame on you Lexus...for slaughtering what once was once a beautiful, powerful, and well built model range....the GS!
YOU ARE 100% WRONG, just because it's not high volume seller, doesnt mean the car will die.
Old 09-15-11, 02:49 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

GS450h is waste of everyone's time, they should have came out w/ ES450h, that would have been more appropriate. It would still have been a failure, but not as much. I know the ES300h is coming out, but doesn't belong on the GS lineup IMO
Old 09-15-11, 04:20 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
GS450h is waste of everyone's time, they should have came out w/ ES450h, that would have been more appropriate. It would still have been a failure, but not as much. I know the ES300h is coming out, but doesn't belong on the GS lineup IMO
Actually a GS300h would be a good idea in Europe, in addition to or in place of the weak N/A 2.5L.
Old 09-15-11, 07:07 PM
LexFather

I know this concept seems to be hard for many on the internet but not everyone cares about peak HP at 8000 RPM. A lot of buyers do care about MPG and we all know this sentiment is growing.

We are talking about a car that will get 28-32 MPG AVERAGE (no HWY) with the highest technology with a superb interior that still can haul ***. B/C 0-60 in 5.2-5.8 seconds is still faster than most cars sold today.

Now I am not sure of the price but to me if this car gets around 30 MPG compared to the 23 MPG the current GS 450h is rated at, that is a huge bump and huge selling point. Hell a 188hp or so HS with a 4 cylinder that does 0-60 in mid 8s only gets 5 MPG more.

Please understand I am not really head over heels with the 4GS and while I love the specs of the 450h I'm kind of surprised the did very little to separate the model from the 350 and coming 250.
Old 09-15-11, 08:49 PM
emad2007
Driver

and gs350

link :

http://www.drive.ru/lexus/news/2011/...konkurent.html
Old 09-15-11, 10:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I know this concept seems to be hard for many on the internet but not everyone cares about peak HP at 8000 RPM. A lot of buyers do care about MPG and we all know this sentiment is growing.

We are talking about a car that will get 28-32 MPG AVERAGE (no HWY) with the highest technology with a superb interior that still can haul ***. B/C 0-60 in 5.2-5.8 seconds is still faster than most cars sold today.

Now I am not sure of the price but to me if this car gets around 30 MPG compared to the 23 MPG the current GS 450h is rated at, that is a huge bump and huge selling point. Hell a 188hp or so HS with a 4 cylinder that does 0-60 in mid 8s only gets 5 MPG more.

Please understand I am not really head over heels with the 4GS and while I love the specs of the 450h I'm kind of surprised the did very little to separate the model from the 350 and coming 250.
huge jump on gas mileage, yes. but as fantastic as that might sound (which i think does warrant its existence), just as you stated i don't think anyone can overlook how disappointing the numbers are from a competitor point of view.

mid 5 is fast for a car, but no one cares about comparing gs with camry. i really wish gs would have done more (somehow) to reduce its gap with competitors, instead of widening it. the gs could have better driving dynamics and fun to drive, but given its badge (gs - sport sedan), price point, and segment it is in, it needs more. it's not like the ct200h, where speed performance could somewhat be negotiated.

i am very much interested i knowing what lexus' philosophy is with the gs development and their choice / plan on the drivetrain. for sure i am scratching my head pretty bad on this one, and the gsf if a meaningful one is coming at all
Old 09-15-11, 11:32 PM
Wooski
Driver School Candidate

I think the problem you guys have is that you are seeing this from a purely US specific viewpoint about performance. In the UK whilst BMW and Mercedes may offer the 550i's of this world they literally maybe only sell a handful each year, no one buys them. However they buy the high fuel mileage versions by the ship load plus the ultra high performance variants. i.e. if someone wants a fast 5 they buy an M5. Same with the E. I think Lexus are picking up on this.

Lexus did the CT for the European market and almost didn't offer it in the US but then decided too. It's been a huge hit besides everyone saying that it was too slow (and if you think 0-60 in under 6 seconds is slow just try 10 seconds). So what do we learn from this? That actually there is a large market for a quality car that also has good fuel economy.

I think all Lexus is doing is following the example of BMW. They have their M-Sport which is becoming F-Sport for Lexus. It makes total sense, the BMW M-Sport versions sell very well here in the UK. Don't bother with a cooking V8, its too low a seller. However offer the outrageous halo version which will be the GS-F which I'm sure is coming. That will be the V8 motor and yes it has to compete with the M5.

But they will sell many many more hybrids with the new GS450h. The performance is stronger than the GS350 and yet the fuel economy is a significant upgrade. Its a win win situation (though of course the car will be quite a lot more expensive.)

The whole market has moved on. Its just not reasonable for the new GS to be the fastest automatic anymore. Most fast cars have automatic modes now with their dual clutch transmissions.

The car looks killer in black!
Old 09-16-11, 06:14 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

YOU ARE 100% WRONG, just because it's not high volume seller, doesnt mean the car will die.

Read his statement again. He didn't mention anything about sales. He said lack of effort or enthusiam may/will cause the car to die. It's his opinion so how is he '100% wrong'? Lexus decided not to care about owners who want v8 so that will decrease sales. Not everyone is sold on the new styling so that may decrease sales. We don't know if there will be fixes to the rattles and other issues of the 3GS and if there weren't, that will also decrease sales. A weak GS-F if ever produced could also decrease sales as it could hurt the overall image (waiting for nothing). Nor do we know the pricing of the 4GS yet.

The GS has simply not been the Lexus' best effort for some time now so the car could very well die in the next 5 years if Lexus continues the trend of 'nothing new' while the competition continues to offer reasons to leave. "Die" could mean that no one gives a crap about it anymore.
Old 09-16-11, 06:16 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think Lexus is not learning its lesson. They misunderstand why the V8 didn't sell. But anyway who cares. The people who want V8s always bought from Yokohama or Germany, not from Tahara. This is not lost sales, just opportunity not pursued.
Old 09-16-11, 06:37 AM
Narmer9
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
Read his statement again. He didn't mention anything about sales. He said lack of effort or enthusiam may/will cause the car to die. It's his opinion so how is he '100% wrong'? Lexus decided not to care about owners who want v8 so that will decrease sales. Not everyone is sold on the new styling so that may decrease sales. We don't know if there will be fixes to the rattles and other issues of the 3GS and if there weren't, that will also decrease sales. A weak GS-F if ever produced could also decrease sales as it could hurt the overall image (waiting for nothing). Nor do we know the pricing of the 4GS yet.

The GS has simply not been the Lexus' best effort for some time now so the car could very well die in the next 5 years if Lexus continues the trend of 'nothing new' while the competition continues to offer reasons to leave. "Die" could mean that no one gives a crap about it anymore.
If you've been reading the story behind Lexus execs fighting for their brand, you would've realized by now that it has been given a higher priority within Toyota. This GS is the outcome of that change. Therefore, you are wrong. Your bias is directing your negative outlook.
Old 09-16-11, 06:54 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Narmer9
If you've been reading the story behind Lexus execs fighting for their brand, you would've realized by now that it has been given a higher priority within Toyota. This GS is the outcome of that change. Therefore, you are wrong. Your bias is directing your negative outlook.

Go through my response and show me where my opinion is wrong. Yes we've all see the article and we all have our own perspectives on what it means. That's the joy of reading. My perspective when I read it was "Well damn, now that explains why I still have a 2GS". What bias? I'll say again "I still have a 2GS" Not because I can't afford another Lexus, but I love my 2GS and there is nothing made by another manufacturer in this price point to make me want to leave it"

Given a higher priority means what exactly? Be specific since I'm 'wrong'. You have no idea just as the rest of us so it's all opinion. I love Lexus and the fact that I'm not thrilled with their efforts should inspire them to do better if they want to keep me as I'm not alone in my thoughts.

There is a difference between criticism and bias.
Old 09-16-11, 10:28 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Wooski
I think the problem you guys have is that you are seeing this from a purely US specific viewpoint about performance. In the UK whilst BMW and Mercedes may offer the 550i's of this world they literally maybe only sell a handful each year, no one buys them. However they buy the high fuel mileage versions by the ship load plus the ultra high performance variants. i.e. if someone wants a fast 5 they buy an M5. Same with the E. I think Lexus are picking up on this.

Lexus did the CT for the European market and almost didn't offer it in the US but then decided too. It's been a huge hit besides everyone saying that it was too slow (and if you think 0-60 in under 6 seconds is slow just try 10 seconds). So what do we learn from this? That actually there is a large market for a quality car that also has good fuel economy.

I think all Lexus is doing is following the example of BMW. They have their M-Sport which is becoming F-Sport for Lexus. It makes total sense, the BMW M-Sport versions sell very well here in the UK. Don't bother with a cooking V8, its too low a seller. However offer the outrageous halo version which will be the GS-F which I'm sure is coming. That will be the V8 motor and yes it has to compete with the M5.

But they will sell many many more hybrids with the new GS450h. The performance is stronger than the GS350 and yet the fuel economy is a significant upgrade. Its a win win situation (though of course the car will be quite a lot more expensive.)

The whole market has moved on. Its just not reasonable for the new GS to be the fastest automatic anymore. Most fast cars have automatic modes now with their dual clutch transmissions.

Makes a lot of sense here. Great 1st post!
Old 09-16-11, 11:50 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Wooski

great first post, i think there is a lot of merits to all the points on this one

however, one thing to remember is lexus is biggest in the US, as far as i know they are still pretty weak outside of the US. no doubt it's great idea for them to do something to compete with germans in other regions, make it asia or europe. i think that's a great idea to expand the brand.

however i don't think they can drop their ***** here in the US. if they aren't able to keep the traction up here in the US with true luxury group (sorry but i think es and rx aren't enough to cut into the real luxury group), that can damage the value of the brand itself, something that lexus built for the past 20 years.

well at least that's how i see it
Old 09-16-11, 06:35 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

New video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Xu_sNZn5dA

Don't want to mess with this:

GS450h leaked - same hp but a lot better mpg-pwwzr.jpg

Or this:

GS450h leaked - same hp but a lot better mpg-ce3ax.jpg
GS450h leaked - same hp but a lot better mpg-hmsvl.jpg

Rear of the car looks very planted and elegant:

GS450h leaked - same hp but a lot better mpg-sxwcx.jpg

Overall I think in traditional Lexus fashion the design itself is very well executed, surfaces look clean, expensive and well integrated and there are few superfluous design elements, something found more commonly in lower end cars. however from an aesthetic stand point some of the details need improvement. I think the headlight shape particularly towards the fenders is the biggest weakness of the car, followed by the unfinished looking fangs. From some angles the car looks great, but from others not so much. Aside from that I suspect on road and in person presence to be very good, the car's stance overall seems to be chunky and muscular.

Compared to its competition I think it holds up well, keep in mind all these cars are rather conservative as expected given the demographic. The Infiniti M looks considerably more "overweight", less elegant and not as expensive or well executed to my eye. The Audi A6 is more trim but also two dimensional and I don't think it will have as much a visual impact in person and on the road as the new GS. The BMW 5 series looks a bit overweight but may have the edge overall. The E-class is close to the back of the pack IMO, I don't think the design itself is very well executed nor does it have as big a visual impact overall.

Just my thoughts.

Last edited by Mr. Burns; 09-16-11 at 07:49 PM.

Quick Reply: GS450h leaked - same hp but a lot better mpg