Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 4GS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation GS models.

GS450h leaked - same hp but a lot better mpg

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-11, 10:54 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by emad2007
Wow!

It really looks like the 4GS is much more spacious interior-wise compared to the 3GS!
Old 09-20-11, 11:01 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Wooski
I think the problem you guys have is that you are seeing this from a purely US specific viewpoint about performance. In the UK whilst BMW and Mercedes may offer the 550i's of this world they literally maybe only sell a handful each year, no one buys them. However they buy the high fuel mileage versions by the ship load plus the ultra high performance variants. i.e. if someone wants a fast 5 they buy an M5. Same with the E. I think Lexus are picking up on this.

Lexus did the CT for the European market and almost didn't offer it in the US but then decided too. It's been a huge hit besides everyone saying that it was too slow (and if you think 0-60 in under 6 seconds is slow just try 10 seconds). So what do we learn from this? That actually there is a large market for a quality car that also has good fuel economy.

I think all Lexus is doing is following the example of BMW. They have their M-Sport which is becoming F-Sport for Lexus. It makes total sense, the BMW M-Sport versions sell very well here in the UK. Don't bother with a cooking V8, its too low a seller. However offer the outrageous halo version which will be the GS-F which I'm sure is coming. That will be the V8 motor and yes it has to compete with the M5.

But they will sell many many more hybrids with the new GS450h. The performance is stronger than the GS350 and yet the fuel economy is a significant upgrade. Its a win win situation (though of course the car will be quite a lot more expensive.)

The whole market has moved on. Its just not reasonable for the new GS to be the fastest automatic anymore. Most fast cars have automatic modes now with their dual clutch transmissions.

The car looks killer in black!
I think this bolded part explains all the supposedly head-scratching decisions taken on the 4GS to a T. Lexus is thinking globally, the 4GS is meant to compete as a WORLD car and not just the NA market. In other countries, the sellers are the bread and butter fuel-efficent small engines or the top-of-the-line halo models, the inbetweeners barely figure as a sales presence.
Old 09-20-11, 01:20 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
Wow!

It really looks like the 4GS is much more spacious interior-wise compared to the 3GS!
they better. my point of reference is pretty much the 2gs not 3gs
Old 09-20-11, 06:35 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
I think this bolded part explains all the supposedly head-scratching decisions taken on the 4GS to a T. Lexus is thinking globally, the 4GS is meant to compete as a WORLD car and not just the NA market. In other countries, the sellers are the bread and butter fuel-efficent small engines or the top-of-the-line halo models, the inbetweeners barely figure as a sales presence.
heh.... GS450h in Europe is considered a really, really, really fast executive sedan.
I think GS450h will be faster than >90%-95% of sold 5 series and E class's in Europe.

Something more like GS250h would be considered great for Europe. This is why they are introducing GS250.

Most F10's I see are 520d.
Old 09-21-11, 06:52 PM
JDMToyotas
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by e39ng
"Exclusive to the hybrid model is a unique three-lamp design that aligns the turn signal and Lexus-first high and low beam LED lamps in a single horizontal row."

So the LED headlight is not available to 350? not even as an option?
Can you get the LS600h headlights on the LS460 ? Dont think so.
Old 09-21-11, 07:17 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by e39ng
"Exclusive to the hybrid model is a unique three-lamp design that aligns the turn signal and Lexus-first high and low beam LED lamps in a single horizontal row."

So the LED headlight is not available to 350? not even as an option?
same with the 3RX, LED headlamps only available on RX450h. so i'm not surprised to read that LED lamps only available on 4GS450h
Old 09-21-11, 07:47 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

^^ I think some of us thought that LEDs would eventually be the new thing to replace bi-xenons and not just be another hybrid thing. Too bad
Old 09-21-11, 08:28 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormforge
same with the 3RX, LED headlamps only available on RX450h. so i'm not surprised to read that LED lamps only available on 4GS450h
I wonder if that's just for NA? There were pics posted a while back of a GS350 with LEDs.

GS450h leaked - same hp but a lot better mpg-kcjlz.jpg
GS450h leaked - same hp but a lot better mpg-rqe63.jpg
GS450h leaked - same hp but a lot better mpg-wzy6v.jpg

The competition offers LED headlights as options on standard models and I think Lexus will too with the GS.
Old 09-21-11, 09:04 PM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The LEDs completely change the face of the LS, GS, RX, CT, HS with them...it looks so much more meaner and aggressive.
Old 09-21-11, 09:40 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike@Vossen
The LEDs completely change the face of the LS, GS, RX, CT, HS with them...it looks so much more meaner and aggressive.
Agreed, the CT with them is a complete transformation.

They should be optional on every model.
Old 09-21-11, 11:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by RXSF
^^ I think some of us thought that LEDs would eventually be the new thing to replace bi-xenons and not just be another hybrid thing. Too bad
it will be quite a while before led headlights can take over hid. their performance is poor at best. far from what hid can provide. talk to any ls600hl owners and they will tell you about their disappointment (a few of them owned ls460l before moving on to ls600hl).

led headlights on lexus definitely look way cool, especially when you are the drive on the next car. but from driver's perspective inside, it's not as much fun

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
I wonder if that's just for NA? There were pics posted a while back of a GS350 with LEDs.

The competition offers LED headlights as options on standard models and I think Lexus will too with the GS.
out of curiosity, what other vehicles in the market now offer led headlights (low beams)?
Old 09-22-11, 08:32 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns

They should be standard on every model.
Fixed for you
Old 09-22-11, 10:25 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Fixed for you
seriously at this current moment, i am not sure if i want that. it does look super cool, but from a functionality and safety point of view, it might be something i want to wait on
Old 09-22-11, 10:49 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

LED itself has some inherent drawbacks. At this point, there is no reason why I would want LED over HID when HID can provide me a color temperature of 4100k without sacrificing light output.
Old 09-22-11, 11:05 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW, BMW has made full-LED headlights (both hi- and lo-beams) available on the 6-series, and is moving on to laser headlights, which are said to be more energy efficient and much brighter than LED headlights.
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...ght-technology

Quick Reply: GS450h leaked - same hp but a lot better mpg