Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 4GS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation GS models.

GS450h leaked - same hp but a lot better mpg

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-11, 08:19 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Comparing 4GSh to the RX 450h is somewhat of a moot point: very different V6s, platforms, competitive sets and intentions. I agree with rominl and GSteg on this issue.

Current GSh has 292hp V6 and 48hp "combined" from electric motors...looks like the new model has a 294hp V6 and 44hp from batteries. Using more engine power and less battery power to get better MPG is impressive, but then again, this is a lateral move in terms of performance, if not a regression. MPG is great but since when has the GSh really been about gas mileage? Lexus always touted it as the performance hybrid sport sedan...and it's now less apt/ready to perform than it's predecessor...?

Last, RX450h weighs 4652lbs and can manage 30mpg in combined driving. That is truly remarkable, IMO. GSh is 400lbs less, so even with an additional 38hp, I'm expecting it to eclipse that number.

Last edited by MPLexus301; 09-12-11 at 08:32 PM.
Old 09-12-11, 08:41 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Current GS 450h MPG:

22 City, 25 Highway, 23 Combined

Factoring in an 32% increase in efficiency for 2013 GS 450h (Lexus claims "greater than 30%")

29 City, 33 Highway, 30 Combined
Old 09-12-11, 08:42 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Comparing 4GSh to the RX 450h is somewhat of a moot point: very different V6s, platforms, competitive sets and intentions. I agree with rominl and GSteg on this issue.

Current GSh has 292hp V6 and 48hp "combined" from electric motors...looks like the new model has a 294hp V6 and 44hp from batteries. Using more engine power and less battery power to get better MPG is impressive, but then again, this is a lateral move in terms of performance, if not a regression. MPG is great but since when has the GSh really been about gas mileage? Lexus always touted it as the performance hybrid sport sedan...and it's now less apt/ready to perform than it's predecessor...?

Last, RX450h weighs 4652lbs and can manage 30mpg in combined driving. That is truly remarkable, IMO. GSh is 400lbs less, so even with an additional 38hp, I'm expecting it to eclipse that number.
The GS-F sport will replace the GSh as the performance option. It makes no sense to have that model and the hybrid both trying to be performance cars. A Hybrid appeals to people who want better fuel economy and are environmentally conscious. It's still faster and gets better fuel economy than the standard GS350, so it's become an option for those who want that.

There was no "F-sport" version with the previous GS.
Old 09-12-11, 08:45 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Based on spy photos, I'm betting that you'll be able to get GS 350 F Sport as well as GS 450h F Sport. We'll see.
Old 09-12-11, 09:09 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Perhaps Lexus is being modest? They claim 5.6 but usually they're conservative. 5.5 seconds to 60mph is no slouch anyway. Especially for a Hybrid that gets 30mpg average. It'll be no slower than the last GS and have MUCH better driving dynamics AND MPG! I call that a win.
Old 09-12-11, 09:15 PM
lexspeed89
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dashboard looks amazing
Old 09-12-11, 09:28 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by TF109B
Perhaps Lexus is being modest? They claim 5.6 but usually they're conservative. 5.5 seconds to 60mph is no slouch anyway. Especially for a Hybrid that gets 30mpg average. It'll be no slower than the last GS and have MUCH better driving dynamics AND MPG! I call that a win.
if anything, lexus has always been optimistic
Old 09-12-11, 09:41 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You heard from me first.....the 4GS will be the last GS model made by Lexus...not because its not attractive, or not powerful enough, or etc... It's because Mr. Toyoda DOES NOT like this car and therefore, there will be little to no effort put into this model range moving forward! Shame on you Lexus...for slaughtering what once was once a beautiful, powerful, and well built model range....the GS!
Old 09-12-11, 11:14 PM
Rawtunes
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's my thoughts on this.
It seems to be another marketing strategy from Lexus. If the rumors of an upcoming GsF model are true, then it would makes perfect sense to focus more on mpg rather than hp. The GsF will cater to those who need that power bump.
Old 09-12-11, 11:30 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by LexIS007
You heard from me first.....the 4GS will be the last GS model made by Lexus...not because its not attractive, or not powerful enough, or etc... It's because Mr. Toyoda DOES NOT like this car and therefore, there will be little to no effort put into this model range moving forward! Shame on you Lexus...for slaughtering what once was once a beautiful, powerful, and well built model range....the GS!
And you will be wrong, it is impossible for Toyoda to hate a specific model in a Lexus line up, the article you were referring to is more about miscommunication and less about how much he likes the GS line.

Lexus didn't slaughter anything, please, calm down.
Old 09-12-11, 11:37 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

The fuel economy is impressive.
Old 09-12-11, 11:46 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
The GS-F sport will replace the GSh as the performance option. It makes no sense to have that model and the hybrid both trying to be performance cars. A Hybrid appeals to people who want better fuel economy and are environmentally conscious. It's still faster and gets better fuel economy than the standard GS350, so it's become an option for those who want that.

There was no "F-sport" version with the previous GS.
there is f-sport for 3gs, what are you talking about? springs, shocks, brakes, sways, etc...

plus, unless the fsport really gives the car a power boost (a significant one that is), otherwise gs350 f sport could be fun to drive but i don't think it will be able to go against v8 competitors

Originally Posted by Rawtunes
Here's my thoughts on this.
It seems to be another marketing strategy from Lexus. If the rumors of an upcoming GsF model are true, then it would makes perfect sense to focus more on mpg rather than hp. The GsF will cater to those who need that power bump.
it could be, but question is where will gsf land? 400hp range so it matches with the normal v8 from competitors? it's good, but it won't touch the m and amg. if they make a 550hp gsf, awesome. but it leaves a huge gap between gsf and gsh?

Originally Posted by neurocity
Yea, I manually shift mine now. Does nothing for simulating gears. All its good for is dropping the drive-line into a lower (Better charging/regen) ""gear""

I'm sorry, there is nothing on the new GSh I like. At all. Maybe it will drive up the values on the 3rd Gen GSh's
i tried that on the 3gsh too, sorry but it felt very weird and far from exciting. if that's what the "paddle shift" does in the 4gsh, i can't see what's good about it
Old 09-12-11, 11:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
The fuel economy is impressive.
yes, if it can hit 30mph regular drive (no pampering) and given its power, it's definitely impressive
Old 09-13-11, 12:15 AM
ndk83
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im disappointed, i was expecting at the very least 350 hp. I was hoping for 375, but knew that was a long shot. 336 isnt slow by any means, but cant helpy feeling let down.

oh well, lets hope the Fsport model offers a supercharger, otherwise the GS-F will also be very disappointing,

I cant beleive that lexus would go through all that trouble of making an LFA and lapping the nurb edition round the nurburgring in such a blistering time to not try and inject a bit of sportiness into their lineup
Old 09-13-11, 12:16 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Just hope the rest of the upcoming lineup isn't so half assed in the powertrain department, and that next year the GS will get new engines. The Camry is using an exact carry over of the V6 from the previous generation and that will probably mean the next ES will too as well. The IS will need a new V6, 8 speed tranny and preferably a turbo 4 to replace the 250. The LS will definitely need an all new very advanced V8, a carry over of the current one would just be surrendering to the competition.
The current 4.6L V8 puts out 380. The newly redesigned Audi A8 still uses the ol 4.2L V8 albeit a few more ponies than the last with 372. Jaguar's XJ base with the 5.0L V8 puts out 375. With the exception of BMW and MBZ TT V8 enignes (400+ hp), these NA V8s are still getting the job done with respectable performance and economy to match the 4.4TT and 4.6TT of BMW and MBZ respectively. Quite honestly, Lexus could drop the IS-F 5.0 into the LS which would be nice (I always thought that should be available if you got the LS Sport, not just brembos and IS-F tranny). In the LS600hL the 5.0L is detuned to around 377hp and the hybrid battery power bumps total output to around 436hp.

*** I will note that Audi will probably eventually add the 4.0TT V8 as a base engine over time
*** Also the Jag's extensive use of high strength Aluminum keeps this large sedan the lightest of them all

Last edited by Hoovey689; 09-13-11 at 12:19 AM.

Quick Reply: GS450h leaked - same hp but a lot better mpg