Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

2008 Dead Hybrid battery!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-11, 02:56 PM
Weighit
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 2008 Dead Hybrid battery!!

Well it happened yesterday, driving along and just about every warning light in the dash went off, low tire, check engine, check VSC, Check hybrid system, seat belt warning, low fuel and I can't recall how many more. I pulled over, shut it off and waited for about 2 or 3 minutes, turned the key back on and saw the same warnings. Shut it off and called the dealer 35 miles away. He said well, that doesn't sound normal does it? He asked if I thought I could drive it, I said give me a minute and I will drive around the parking lot to see what it feels like. Everything performed as normal, so I called him back and said I would head his way, but if it quits I will call him back and have it towed, he said fine. Made it there, no issues except the cruise would not turn on, otherwise drove normally. Just got the call, the main battery is bad, none in our area, none in surrounding states and will be shipped by ground from probably Canada. I'm in Arizona, so it could be a few days. He said he has been in the dealership over 5 years and this is the very first main battery they have ever had to replace. This is a Certified used and has 49,000 miles now. At least I have a 2011 RX as the loaner. Anyone else had the main battery go out?

Last edited by Weighit; 09-29-11 at 03:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jjchicago (08-10-20)
Old 09-29-11, 05:33 PM
rx300mm
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

That is something, I wonder how many years of warranty you get from battery ?
Old 09-29-11, 06:13 PM
jtaylor3
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rx300mm
That is something, I wonder how many years of warranty you get from battery ?
My 2008 RX400h has an 8 year / 100k mile warranty on the entire hybrid system.

Jeff
08 RX400h
Old 09-30-11, 11:35 AM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So are you getting new traction batteries ?
Old 09-30-11, 07:35 PM
Weighit
Driver

At this point I really don't know exactly what battery is coming by truck. They told me the hybrid battery failed and was approved by Lexus to have replaced after the tech contacted Lexus and had to run a series of tests to confirm. Since this it the first battery failure this dealer has had Lexus requested a positive confirmation before authorizing replacement. They have called every day letting me know the progress and today had to come pick up the 2011 RX loaner and replace it with another RX as the first one has to be turned in on Oct 1st for some sale. They expect the replacement battery to get here by Tuesday and should have mine done Wed. Will report more as I see the final billing.
Old 10-01-11, 07:02 PM
Dorito724
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's pretty cool how they replace those. There is a voltage lock out tag on the battery itself so you don't electrocute yourself installing it. It sits in the floor under the back seats. Everything comes out and the floor boards get removed. Next the old battery gets hoisted out. The whole process might take a day or two.
Old 10-02-11, 07:03 PM
Weighit
Driver

Originally Posted by Dorito724
It's pretty cool how they replace those. There is a voltage lock out tag on the battery itself so you don't electrocute yourself installing it. It sits in the floor under the back seats. Everything comes out and the floor boards get removed. Next the old battery gets hoisted out. The whole process might take a day or two.
You sound like you've seen this before, I was told it is a rare occurrence for these batteries to fail.
I may drive up to see what my car looks like once the battery gets delivered to the dealership.
Old 10-04-11, 01:47 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

keep us posted and take pictures if you can, I like to see and get more information too
Old 10-05-11, 07:17 PM
Weighit
Driver

Got called tonight and told the car has a new battery and I can pick it up tomorrow. The service guy said he took photos for me so will see what he has. Dorito has it correct, as they said they pulled all the seats out and carpet to gain access to the floor cover where the battery is. Wish me luck and I'll post more tomorrow.
Old 10-06-11, 06:24 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 100 Likes on 85 Posts

Also curious, did they check the cooling fans to make sure they are working.....
Old 10-06-11, 09:46 AM
Weighit
Driver

I don't know, but I'm driving up this afternoon to get the car so will be asking a lot of questions and will post what I'm told today. I told my service writer I would like to speak with the tech and he said that would not be a problem. More today when i get back to the computer.
Old 10-06-11, 01:39 PM
Weighit
Driver

Well the car is back, all cleaned and looking like nothing ever was wrong. The service folks all came to see me when I picked it up and said they never saw a battery before as they are hidden under the rear floor and I was the very first vehicle to ever need one in their dealership. The tech has no idea what failed or why, other than the tests he preformed said the battery was defective. There was nothing else wrong, the cooling fans did operate as they should and everything checked correct after the new battery was installed. I did not get the warranty pricing to see what it actually cost but was told the warranty cost of the battery was just a bit over $6,000, and the labor was probably another 3 -400 ish. with the testing. I only get the balance of the warranty on the original certified used car deal, but as they said this should be the last battery this car ever needs. Yea, hope so. Overall it has been pretty painless and no cost to me. I did notice the battery indicator in the display showed the engine not starting as soon as it used to on a regular start from a light. I will have to play with it some to see if I notice any difference in the performance or mileage.
Old 10-07-11, 06:43 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

This story has a good ending (as expected with Lexus). I've been following it as I'm sure a lot of other (h) owners had and it ended as I expected.

Likely nothing will ever go wrong for a long time with proper use and maintenance but the long term warranty on the hybrid portion of the powertrain is there for the odd event or anomaly and it works .

Thanks for keeping us in the loop.
Originally Posted by Weighit
Well the car is back, all cleaned and looking like nothing ever was wrong. The service folks all came to see me when I picked it up and said they never saw a battery before as they are hidden under the rear floor and I was the very first vehicle to ever need one in their dealership. The tech has no idea what failed or why, other than the tests he preformed said the battery was defective. There was nothing else wrong, the cooling fans did operate as they should and everything checked correct after the new battery was installed. I did not get the warranty pricing to see what it actually cost but was told the warranty cost of the battery was just a bit over $6,000, and the labor was probably another 3 -400 ish. with the testing. I only get the balance of the warranty on the original certified used car deal, but as they said this should be the last battery this car ever needs. Yea, hope so. Overall it has been pretty painless and no cost to me. I did notice the battery indicator in the display showed the engine not starting as soon as it used to on a regular start from a light. I will have to play with it some to see if I notice any difference in the performance or mileage.
Old 10-07-11, 07:08 AM
Weighit
Driver

Well last night I was able to go for a drive around town with the "new" battery and see if there was a difference. And I found there is. The engine does not run as much, I can start from a traffic light now and get all the way across the intersection before the engine starts. I can barely lift my foot from the pedal and the engine quits while moving at most any speed, unlike before. I appear to be showing a 2 mile per gallon increase over the old normal readings, but a few tanks of gas will either bear this out or not. So as time goes on i will post back to let others know what I'm feeling with the new improved car. So far so good.
Old 10-07-11, 09:39 AM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Good to know at least for now you are square away

Quick Reply: 2008 Dead Hybrid battery!!