Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 3GS forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation GS models.

APEXi Throttle Controller for GS450h

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-11, 11:43 AM
adamz28
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default APEXi Throttle Controller for GS450h

One of the forum vendors claims they double checked and confirmed that APEXi has a throttle controller for the GS450h. I thought throttle controllers were not compatible with the CVT. Does anyone know if this could be true?
Old 10-17-11, 06:15 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

if the apexi throttle controller is anything similar to tom's ETS, then the answer is no. according to tom's, there is no application for the GS450h (which is chassis code GWS191). see link below:

http://www.tomsracing.co.jp/products....php?mprID=314

trust me, if this was installable in a GS450h, i would have had it already!

edit: see link below, posts #55 & #56

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...d-is350-4.html

Last edited by Stormforge; 10-17-11 at 06:25 PM.
Old 10-17-11, 08:28 PM
VIP Auto Salon
Former Sponsor

We have plugged it into our HS250H as well as the Toyota Prius. Both made a difference in throttle response. The Apexi throttle controller works off the concept of throttle body position and does not actually do anything to the transmission. What it does is prime the throttle body moving it in a more open position so that when the pedal is pressed, it engine is ready to accelerate sooner since the air flow is increased and the throttle body plate is more open reducing the time it takes to fully open.

After testing it on our HS250H and our Prius it does work, its not as dramatic as say an ISF which has a faster shifting transmission but it does work.
Old 10-17-11, 08:49 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by VIP Auto Salon
We have plugged it into our HS250H as well as the Toyota Prius. Both made a difference in throttle response. The Apexi throttle controller works off the concept of throttle body position and does not actually do anything to the transmission. What it does is prime the throttle body moving it in a more open position so that when the pedal is pressed, it engine is ready to accelerate sooner since the air flow is increased and the throttle body plate is more open reducing the time it takes to fully open.

After testing it on our HS250H and our Prius it does work, its not as dramatic as say an ISF which has a faster shifting transmission but it does work.
interesting! so is the apexi a plug and play unit like the tom's and blitz? how much throttle difference did the apexi make when plugged into HS250h/Prius? is the difference very noticeable or just so so?

well adamz28 can be the first to try this mod if he wants to!
Old 10-17-11, 08:53 PM
VIP Auto Salon
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Stormforge
interesting! so is the apexi a plug and play unit like the tom's and blitz? how much throttle difference did the apexi make when plugged into HS250h/Prius? is the difference very noticeable or just so so?

well adamz28 can be the first to try this mod if he wants to!

Yes it does, the difference it makes i quite noticeable, its more of the throttle response that is improved instead of having that sluggish start when you hit the pedal its more immediate. I really wish you guys were local so we can do a live demo so you would see how much nicer it feels when its got that firmer response!

I feel that it is a big difference, the ISF has a more dramatic kick to it that the hybrids, but that has to do a great deal with how that transmission is built and functions.
Old 10-17-11, 09:00 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

is the apexi throttle controller made in japan, usa, or somewhere else?
Old 10-17-11, 09:11 PM
VIP Auto Salon
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Stormforge
is the apexi throttle controller made in japan, usa, or somewhere else?
Entirely Made in Japan i believe, APEXi USA brings all their parts on containers from Japan, they dont make any parts here in the USA, they only service and warranty them. The research and development process is all done in Japan, and then the product is sent here to test fit and ensure it works. We actually helped APEXi test fit most of their throttle controllers on all of our demo vehicles.

Its a great system and WAYYYYYY more affordable than the alternatives.
Old 10-17-11, 11:25 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i don't see how it has anything to do with transmission either. the THROTTLE controller is just that, controller the throttle with respect to the gas pedal movement. it's pretty much the same as the power button on the e9x m3. it does NOT add any power to the car, it only makes the throttle more sensitive by opening it "faster" as VIP explained.

back to application, i don't know if gsh has a different throttle setup / gas pedal sensor, but personally i doubt. if it has the same as other 3gs, then i don't see how this throttle controller won't apply.

on another note, i am interested in how much this changes the throttle response on the 3gs (on various drive train setup). on my m3 the power button is very noticeable, which does increase the fun factor of driving the car a lot
Old 10-18-11, 05:50 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

well the Blitz was a blast on my GS430
Old 10-18-11, 06:25 AM
adamz28
Rookie

Originally Posted by VIP Auto Salon
Entirely Made in Japan i believe, APEXi USA brings all their parts on containers from Japan, they dont make any parts here in the USA, they only service and warranty them. The research and development process is all done in Japan, and then the product is sent here to test fit and ensure it works. We actually helped APEXi test fit most of their throttle controllers on all of our demo vehicles.

Its a great system and WAYYYYYY more affordable than the alternatives.
I'd like to hear a testimonial from a GSh owner here with one of these installed.
Old 10-18-11, 08:40 AM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by adamz28
I'd like to hear a testimonial from a GSh owner here with one of these installed.
The GSh gas/ accelerator pedal is connected to the computer. The computer decides if its going to use the Emotor or EM with V6 on acceleration. And then, how much it will use.

The only thing I'm thinking it would do, is make the computer think your flooring it all the time. Which it would then respond with Emotor and V6 simultaneous, but to what amounts of power that is being put out... Still up to the programing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEu4I...eature=related
Old 10-18-11, 09:45 AM
VIP Auto Salon
Former Sponsor

Anyone Local? we could do a test fit and someone can try it out!!
Old 10-18-11, 05:31 PM
montz450
Driver

send me one to va and i'll be more than happy to try it...
Old 10-18-11, 05:48 PM
adamz28
Rookie

VIP - Any idea how much the GSh's 0-60 times are reduced with this?
Old 10-18-11, 06:26 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

VIP - Any idea how much the GSh's 0-60 times are reduced with this?
you do not get more HP out of this mod, only quicker acceleration (ie: throttle response). this mod reduces the "lag" that is experienced in regular acceleration.

in order to get more HP (and to reduce your 0-60 times), you need to do hp mods like turbo, SC, NOS, engine swap. this throttle controller won't give you want you are looking for (ie: more HP).

Last edited by Stormforge; 10-18-11 at 06:32 PM.

Quick Reply: APEXi Throttle Controller for GS450h