Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Check Hybrid, Check VSC, Check Brake system fault

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-11, 05:28 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts
Thumbs down Check Hybrid, Check VSC, Check Brake system fault

I know, Got a Turkey a day early, yesterday while driving home these Check hybrid, check VSC, and Check Brake system along with Check engine light came on. Car ran fine So I nursed it toward home.
On a left turn signal car quit. pushed it through intersection, and then called for a tow. While waiting for truck tried restarting, started right up, but all indicators still on. Shut it down....While on that last quarter mile the engine went into limp mode. Bummer is I didnt have my scanner....Towed to Toyota dealership, since my experience with the locl Lexus dealership was less than poor. Friday they are going to look at it....my stomach is in knots...My RX400h is a 2008 so is not under the inverter recall, and I have a terrible feeling it is either batteries or inverter. Funny thing while driving those last miles is that the batteries read all the way down to 1 bar and than came back up to 2/3 bars....Wish me a Happy thanksgiving and cross your fingers...I am also at 103k miles (oh it sucks to be me)....Hey I have family today, so I should count my blessings...
Old 11-24-11, 06:18 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Until it's checked out by the dealer the diagnosis won't be known for sure. But when the 12 volt goes bad you can get similar electronic failure indications. After all the computers are shutting down. Let's hope for that rather than the traction batteries.

Keep us informed if you can as to the status and what if anything Lexus is able to do for you out of warranty.

Try to have a Very Happy Thanksgiving with your family.

Originally Posted by thomas1
I know, Got a Turkey a day early, yesterday while driving home these Check hybrid, check VSC, and Check Brake system along with Check engine light came on. Car ran fine So I nursed it toward home.
On a left turn signal car quit. pushed it through intersection, and then called for a tow. While waiting for truck tried restarting, started right up, but all indicators still on. Shut it down....While on that last quarter mile the engine went into limp mode. Bummer is I didnt have my scanner....Towed to Toyota dealership, since my experience with the locl Lexus dealership was less than poor. Friday they are going to look at it....my stomach is in knots...My RX400h is a 2008 so is not under the inverter recall, and I have a terrible feeling it is either batteries or inverter. Funny thing while driving those last miles is that the batteries read all the way down to 1 bar and than came back up to 2/3 bars....Wish me a Happy thanksgiving and cross your fingers...I am also at 103k miles (oh it sucks to be me)....Hey I have family today, so I should count my blessings...
Old 11-24-11, 09:35 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

thank you, but I have a bad feeling because the car started right back up....I will hope for the 12v battery....
Old 11-24-11, 09:39 AM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I hope nothing expensive. Good luck Thomas1.
Old 11-24-11, 12:19 PM
rcy
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm thinking (hoping) 12 volt battery, though when that fails, it's usually not while you're driving, but when you attempt to start the vehicle and get the message 'must be in Park' when you're already in park. My next guess would be inverter, then the traction battery.

Seeing as you're just outside of the 100 000 mile hybrid warranty, you may be able to wrangle a deal with Lexus/Toyota. They don't need any more bad press right now.

If it is the inverter and Toyota doesn't step up to the plate, I would contact the NHTSA regarding this. It's entirely possible that the inverter problems affect later years and Toyota just hasn't owned up to it yet. A little nudge from the NHTSA might 'encourage' them to extend that recall to later model years.

I've had my inverter replaced once already (leaking coolant), and I still recieved notice that I'm part of the recall (so I can only assume they replaced my original bad inverter with a new bad inverter).

Last edited by rcy; 11-24-11 at 12:28 PM.
Old 11-25-11, 11:54 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Well toyota called, said codes were P0A05, P0A93 hybrid water pump failure....cost $591 for repairs...hey lot better than batteries or converter. They had to order the pump..... will keep everyone informed when they get part next week.
Old 11-25-11, 12:44 PM
rcy
Lead Lap

Well, that's good news (relatively speaking). That's the first I've heard of that happening. Good to know the repair cost is not that bad.

Ask them if they have to replace the inverter coolant when they replace the pump....that will be one less maintenance item you need to attend to (yes, the inverter coolant has a change interval).

I wonder why all those warning lights come on, instead of just the 'check hybrid system'.
Old 11-25-11, 01:07 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rcy
Well, that's good news (relatively speaking). That's the first I've heard of that happening. Good to know the repair cost is not that bad.

Ask them if they have to replace the inverter coolant when they replace the pump....that will be one less maintenance item you need to attend to (yes, the inverter coolant has a change interval).

I wonder why all those warning lights come on, instead of just the 'check hybrid system'.
they said they are changing the inverter coolant...said one gallon of toyota fluid. I sure hope nothng fried, but they said the inverter was fine. Hey at least we have the codes now for a pump failure....I could have changed it myself, but I was so relieved from not replacing a battery or converter that I Decided to support my dealership (toyota) even though I could have saved the labor cost....

Last edited by thomas1; 11-25-11 at 07:44 PM.
Old 11-25-11, 01:11 PM
rcy
Lead Lap

Yeah, get the odd thing done at the dealer so they know you, in case you ever need a favour (like a warranty claim when you're 'just' outside the warranty period.
Old 11-25-11, 03:22 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

On the Gen III (2010 and above) the water pump is electric and is not listed on the maintenance that I recall. Is yours belt driven and listed to replace like previous ICE engines somewhere around 100,000 miles with the timing belt (we don't have those either)???

Originally Posted by thomas1
Well toyota called, said codes were P0A05, P0A93 hybrid water pump failure....cost $591 for repairs...hey lot better than batteries or converter. They had to order the pump..... will keep everyone informed when they get part next week.

Last edited by Cruiter; 11-25-11 at 03:22 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-25-11, 07:43 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Cruiter
On the Gen III (2010 and above) the water pump is electric and is not listed on the maintenance that I recall. Is yours belt driven and listed to replace like previous ICE engines somewhere around 100,000 miles with the timing belt (we don't have those either)???

Oh man if it was listed to be changed at 100k I missed it. The inverter pump is electric, but I changed the water pump on the regular engine when I changed the timing belt at 100k miles. I also changed the idler bearings at that time. I guess I will have to look at the maintenance schedule closer when i get the car back.
Old 11-27-11, 03:11 PM
rcy
Lead Lap

[QUOTE=Cruiter;6844044]On the Gen III (2010 and above) the water pump is electric and is not listed on the maintenance that I recall. Is yours belt driven and listed to replace like previous ICE engines somewhere around 100,000 miles with the timing belt (we don't have those either)???

[/QUOTE

The water pump for the ICE on the 2006-2008 400h is the same as on the regular RX330 in that it's belt driven by the timing belt. There is no recommended pump change interval, though most people do it when the timing belt is done.

The inverter on the 400h has it's own cooling circuit (shared with the hybrid transaxle), including it's own radiator (in front of the A/C condenser and the engine radiator) and it's own electric water pump. This is what the original poster needed replaced.

There is also another electric pump that ciruclates hot engine coolant through the heater core, so that climate control is still available when the ICE is off. When the ICE is off the regular water pump, which normally circulates hot coolat for climate control is not turning. I've priced this one out (just curious, mine hasn't failed) and it was around $500 for just the part.
Old 11-28-11, 04:22 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

I found the pump for the inverter was around $200 or $400 depending on whether you have the tow package.
Old 11-29-11, 12:39 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Bad news, now they say they have a C1310 code that wont clear.....
Old 11-29-11, 06:19 PM
rcy
Lead Lap

Something to do with the skid control - VSC. Considering that light came on when the inverter cooling pump went out, it seems to me that it's somehow related.

Are you sure they know what they're doing? I would think the code was thrown as a result of the inverter pump (all those systems are inter related so I believe that's why all the lights come on instead of just 'check hybrid').

Maybe they need to reset the VSC system somehow instead of just trying to clear the code?

Quick Reply: Check Hybrid, Check VSC, Check Brake system fault