Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 3GS forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation GS models.

DIY: Tanabe Touring Medallion install on 07 GS450H (shout out to Gotoracing)

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-11, 09:34 AM
m32
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default DIY: Tanabe Touring Medallion install on 07 GS450H (shout out to Gotoracing)

Wanted to post my first contribution to the Hybrid forum. I recently picked up a 2007 GS450H with 12K miles and have started to do some mods. This is my first hybrid and was very surprised how quiet it was...almost too eerily quiet for me.

I've been looking around for a nice exhaust for quite some time and decided to get the Tanable touring medallion (TTM). The main reason being is I wanted to have a clean exhaust tip, nice tone (not cheap sounding) and not too loud as this is my work car. I knew the TTM fitted the bill b.c I had the same one on my 2GS and loved it.

Now came the hard part... where can I buy one for a good price? I typically don't mind buying used parts but if the market demand for the TTM was anything like the 2GS market, it will be hard to find and get one a decent price. Thankfully I was browing the vendors section and asked quite a few CL vendors on pricing. The best price I received was from Kris at Gotoracing (www.gotoracingonline.com). What was so great about this transcation was that since Tanabe didn't officially put the GS450H as a fitment on their database, it was kind of an unofficial test fit for Tanabe with me as a "guinea pig". Kris agreed that if it didn't fit, he would refund my money and essentially, I would be made whole. I paypal'd him on monday this week, the exhaust shipped the same day and was in Houston, Tx within 3 days. Surety of being made whole, quick shipping and great customer service, I couldn't have picked a better CL vendor to buy from.

Did it fit? Any issues? Let's go to the pics!

Tools Needed:

-14MM socket/wrench (x2)
-Pliers (x1) - to manhandle the rubber mounts
-Ramps (x2)
-WD-40
-Exhaust

Box arrived perfectly

Tanabe Part #T70112 (you can see the GS450H is not listed on the description)

Back the car up on ramps

So my biggest fear was the piping (angle, length, position, etc) on the hyrbid would be different for whatever reason that the regular GS. Here's a side by side comparison

The highlighted red circles are where the rubber "hooks" go. If you spray plenty of WD-40 on them, they come off very easily. The only bolts that you have to undo is where it attaches to the Cat (highlighted in yellow)

With my initial impressions that everything "looks" right, I went ahead with the install. Of course, the true test is how the exhaust tips fit against the cut outs. You be the judge... looks pretty even to me.

So it's official now... Tanabe can now put on their parts application that the #T70112 fits the GS hybrids perfectly! (and more importantly, I got my exhaust )

So... the obvious next thing to do is... video time!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RJgIUagD08

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-cb9z_s69w

Summary/Impressions:

Vendor: As I mentioned above, Kris @ Gotoracingonline.com was great to work with. I'm not sure how many vendors out there would guarantee to make me whole if the exhaust didn't fit. Obviously, I'm very pleased with my purchase and experience and will gladly go back to him again for other mods in the future.

Installation: I did the install on my own and it was a breeze (given the fact the bolts on the Cat came right off). It took me less than 10 minutes to take off the stock exhaust and prob another 20 to install the new one. Very easy install as long as you have the magic tool (WD-40)

Exhaust: The exhaust note is definitely louder than stock with a noticable growl. I had some concerns based on the hybrid drivetrain on how the exhaust note would be but the exhaust note sounds somewhat similar to a normal non-hybrid car. It does have it's differences but not bad at all. I'm very happy with my purchase from Kris @ Gotoracing but am even happier that this exhaust set up fits and gives exactly what I was hoping for.

Let me know if you have any questions

Edwin
Old 12-25-11, 10:35 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

m32, thx for posting pics and video of your exhaust! good job! i hope you enjoy your new exhaust, it certainly looks (and sounds) alot better!

so what other mods have you done to your GSh besides aftermarket wheels and exhaust? any future mods you plan on doing?
Old 12-26-11, 05:21 AM
m32
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Stormforge
m32, thx for posting pics and video of your exhaust! good job! i hope you enjoy your new exhaust, it certainly looks (and sounds) alot better!

so what other mods have you done to your GSh besides aftermarket wheels and exhaust? any future mods you plan on doing?
Thanks Stormforge. I'm glad to be able to contribute to the forum after all the good info I received from other members. I do have a couple more mods in store as so far Ive done the vaistech ML+, 6k headlight and fogs, led DRL, exhaust, and HKS hipermax coils on 20" Amistads. Next mods are install fabulous eye lids and JP front lip (currently at the shop). I'm still debating on whether I want to paint the roof black and get JDM visors. After that, I think I'm done

Edwin
Old 12-26-11, 06:06 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks much better Edwin! The sound is perfect for a Lexus. Nice sport tone IMO and allows you to hear your car. My GS430 was the same way although not as quiet as your hybrid.

Excellent job on the install. How does it ride with the coils on it now?
Old 12-26-11, 08:29 AM
m32
Intermediate

Originally Posted by passnu2
Looks much better Edwin! The sound is perfect for a Lexus. Nice sport tone IMO and allows you to hear your car. My GS430 was the same way although not as quiet as your hybrid.

Excellent job on the install. How does it ride with the coils on it now?
Mike, you're the real deal. Thanks for calling me on Christmas eve to help me when I was stuck. you're the man!

Thanks for the compliments on the exhaust. I really like it and everything worked out great. I highly recommend Kris if anyone wants to pick up an exhaust.

I just finished installing it this morning (cramped garage + christmas break + family in town + rain = 3 days to install.

Here are the before and after pics. Thoughts? The front rubs a little on dips so I'm either going to raise it another 1/4" or try to stiffen up the dampening or something.

Before

After:

Edwin

Last edited by m32; 12-26-11 at 10:21 AM.
Old 12-27-11, 12:18 AM
jayajello
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i like the car, if you do decide to paint the roof black please post pics because my car is the same color and i want to see it done before i do anything.. i also want to black out my tail lights but i want to see how it looks before i do it
Old 01-10-12, 07:45 AM
GOTORacing
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Edwin, love the stance on your ride! Thanks for the recommendation, I appreciate it.
Old 02-02-12, 08:24 PM
m32
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jayajello
i like the car, if you do decide to paint the roof black please post pics because my car is the same color and i want to see it done before i do anything.. i also want to black out my tail lights but i want to see how it looks before i do it
Stay tuned. Jdm visors on the way and I'm leaning on painting the roof black. Should be done in 2 weeks

Edwin
Old 02-03-12, 04:47 AM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Edwin awesome work!!!

Originally Posted by GOTORacing
Edwin, love the stance on your ride! Thanks for the recommendation, I appreciate it.
Great to see fellow vendors involved
Old 02-20-12, 12:02 PM
m32
Intermediate

Bump this up...ordered another exhaust from Kris for my buddy in Houston. +1 again for exceptional service and pricing. Will post pics when installed this weekend

Edwin
Old 03-28-12, 06:25 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by m32
Mike, you're the real deal. Thanks for calling me on Christmas eve to help me when I was stuck. you're the man!

Thanks for the compliments on the exhaust. I really like it and everything worked out great. I highly recommend Kris if anyone wants to pick up an exhaust.

I just finished installing it this morning (cramped garage + christmas break + family in town + rain = 3 days to install.

Here are the before and after pics. Thoughts? The front rubs a little on dips so I'm either going to raise it another 1/4" or try to stiffen up the dampening or something.

Before

After:

Edwin

My pleasure! Glad I was able to help out. So did you end up raising the car up a tad or setting the coils to a firmer setting? If your at that current height only thing to worry about is on turns if its not set to firm so you don't hit your fenders and catch them while the tires are in motion. The plastic fender lining you wont harm anything in there.
Old 03-28-12, 09:04 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

These look identical to my M2 love the look, are those coilovers or are you on springs.
Old 03-28-12, 12:36 PM
m32
Intermediate

Originally Posted by passnu2
My pleasure! Glad I was able to help out. So did you end up raising the car up a tad or setting the coils to a firmer setting? If your at that current height only thing to worry about is on turns if its not set to firm so you don't hit your fenders and catch them while the tires are in motion. The plastic fender lining you wont harm anything in there.
Hey Mike, yeah after putting on the LM reps, I raised up by prob 3/4".

Originally Posted by bigblack06
These look identical to my M2 love the look, are those coilovers or are you on springs.
I too was looking at M2 exhausts but my friend had one on his IS and it droned pretty bad. I'm on HKS coils

Edwin