Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 3GS forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation GS models.

Hybrid Fail/Dealer Service clowning.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-12, 01:55 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i guess the question is, if your car is out of warranty already, are SSC still covered?
Old 01-09-12, 02:00 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty
Senior Moderator

Received 76 Likes on 39 Posts

Just got off phone with Lexus Customer Service. Questioning the SSC, she tells me it was done. But then says its odd because no parts were recorded. Just got escalated.

I told them I knew Henry at CL.
Old 01-09-12, 02:05 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Originally Posted by neurocity
If anyone ever comes to Chicago. Hit this dealership up. Its got to be the nicest dealership I've been in. Everything is just top end in this place. The center waiting room looks like a library with cars surrounding it. I passed 3 other dealers to get to this place.
Lets just say that I'm having a serious problem with whats going on, mainly what the tech and the SA are telling me.
proving you can't judge a book by its cover.

Just got off phone with Lexus Customer Service. Questioning the SSC, she tells me it was done. But then says its odd because no parts were recorded. Just got escalated.
wait, he's test driving a mercedes, can he be trusted?
Old 01-09-12, 02:08 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

you at the dealership when you pick it up

Old 01-09-12, 02:09 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

matt, that could be one big and expensive mistake you made there...

if i read the ssc correctly, it says to bring the car in for inspection, so it's not replacement by default. so just out of speculation, maybe previous owner brought the car in, inspected, and said it's all good so nothing was fixed / done. of course now the problem is here
Old 01-09-12, 07:26 PM
LexFather

I can't believe this story, this is insane. Give me their info.

The car is under warranty, there are TSBs, they are either lying or incompetent. Sorry this is happening to you.

This is just ridiculous and can potentially push people away from hybrids.
Old 01-09-12, 11:44 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

ok i am confused, matt said his car is 8k and 4 months out of warranty?
Old 01-10-12, 03:22 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Henry this tsib is covered regardless since it's a national highway safety issue. There are 36 reported accidents from the caliper. So they can't turn this down if your over by age or mileage. I was feeding Matt all day with ammo. I couldn't believe what this moron was telling Matt. I'm just glad I knew more then I should about this car and enough to get what should have been from the get go. Last time I send anyone to this dealer.

All is resolved now minus the hybrid check since the codes were cleared from the battery disconnect. IMO there must not be an issue or it would have griped again so probably some fluke thing or maybe a weak charge on the hybrid battery.
Old 01-10-12, 06:24 AM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty
Senior Moderator

What I think is awesome. Is how my 2 horribly seized rear calipers. Drove and braked fine. No noise, no grinding, no pulling, no lights on the dash, nothing. Hence why I was so surprised when I got the call. I didn't bring the car in there with a brake problem. I called a mechanic friend at Sewell. He said there is a better chance of my car talking to me like KIT from night rider, than there is of both rear calipers seizing without me noticing. First I was told the pistons were seized, then I'm told the sliders were seized.

The car was checked prior by a tech at this same place when it was in for an oil change 5 weeks earlier. With a "A-Ok" on everything.

Now it has new calipers, new pads, turned rotors. Funny....It drives.

Exactly the same as it did when I brought it in!

I had sent the SA the paperwork on the TSB/SSC via email. After not hearing back from him, I call. He then tells me he cant open his email.

When talking with one of the managers (who was actually very nice about things, despite my obvious irritation at all of this) I notice her holding paperwork below my bill. Then I notice its the print out from the email I had sent the SA.

After it was all said and done. I paid for the labor on the turning if the rotors. 1hr book time.
I was told "Sorry, I think it was a miss understanding."

More like. "Sorry, We misunderstood you for being a check writing moron like most of the people that come in for service."

Bottom line... This is the first of all my Lexus cars that I had to have (Supposedly) parts put into it.
Old 01-10-12, 07:53 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

I see a M5 for sale in the classifieds

Better yet they didn't have the parts to show Matt either and the SA was hiding and no where to be found...I feel bad if this is what happens to the average Lexus owner and they just say okay and write the check as Matt said.
Old 01-10-12, 08:12 AM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty
Senior Moderator

Whatever... Its all done and over now.

I just wont go back. Neither will a lot of people.

Mike, lets start up a NW burbs Lexus dealership. LOL!!!
Old 01-10-12, 10:46 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

how painful, sux.... but at least it's all fixed now

mike, i understand it can definitely be a safety issue. but technically tsib are only covered when car is under warranty. recalls are what covered no matter car is under warranty or not. now this ssc, i don't know what it falls under. but of course, in the end, i would have pressed the dealership to fix it anyway
Old 01-10-12, 12:53 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

I think if its a SSC then its considered a national highway safety issue, I may be wrong but that seems to make sense after yesterday. I agree if its your traditional TSIB like the brake pads or something similar that's really more preference or cosmetic then if your out of warranty your SOL unless the dealer or Lexus is willing to make any exceptions.

At least Matt's car runs more then I can say for my garage queen
Old 01-10-12, 02:11 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

hahhaa mike ou are too funny

but yes, i agree, from reading around it seems like ssc is not a recall yet but still more "serious" than just any random tsib. if that's the case, especially with safety involved, probably makes sense for dealerships to be more sensitive and carry out the fixes, regardless of warranty
Old 01-17-12, 06:29 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Actually I had it parked last winter with no problems and no issues, the only thing that occured was that the car was cold other than that its been good to me
+1, no problem here when i parked my GSh for close to 2 months a few winters ago

Quick Reply: Hybrid Fail/Dealer Service clowning.