Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Fluid Intervals

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-12, 11:16 AM
hrmhrm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fluid Intervals

A well-regarded (Yelp) local garage here specializes in Toyota-Lexus hybrids. He'll do a 60,000 mile maintenance cheaper than the dealer, but he also wants to add services he himself recommends.

He says Lexus recommends changing ICE coolant at 150,000 miles. He recommends every 30,000. He also wants to change inverter coolant, rear transaxle fluid, and auto transmission fluid every 30,000.

His price list is a la carte. I can just get the basic maintenance. The extras would cost over $300. I'm willing to spend it if it really helps protect my car, but I don't want to spend it just so he can buy a new swimming pool.

Are his recommendations legit?

Thanks.

Last edited by hrmhrm; 01-12-12 at 11:18 AM. Reason: misspelling in original
Old 01-12-12, 11:25 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Fluids, follow the manual, no need to over react on them.
Old 01-12-12, 11:28 AM
smassey321
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I am going to do the inverter and engine coolant at 90k when I do the timing belt and water pump. I just did trans and rear diff at 60k which is the "severe" schedule for changing them. Is he changing your brake fluid? That should be done every 30k according to the manual. Toyota hybrids do not have this 30k frequency so some have suggested that the Lexus one is excessive.
Old 01-12-12, 02:45 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Please not the changing of brake fluid requires special diagnostic toyota tool in order to actuate pump...If he doesnt have it he could really mess up your vehicle...I like the ideal of changing tranny both front and rear fluid every 30k and it is not that expense, basically drain and fill. Coolant for Hybrid is supposed to be done at 100k miles.....As for the ice coolent(engine) it should be good for 150k miles or 5 years....The Toyota Coolant are among the best in the market...30 k is rediculous....Make sure he uses only Toyota coolants as they are very long life and support the engine and hybrid cooling the best as well as your warranty.,...
Old 01-12-12, 03:10 PM
hrmhrm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everybody.
Old 01-13-12, 05:39 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

On my RX 450h the brake fluid was a recommended change at 30k and I did it. I think it's well over 100k before it's recommended again.

On the other side your maintenance cost will go down when/if you get a new one. No timing belt or water pump change. Everything is internal and electric with no belts on the hybrid version. The timing is done now by an internal chain with no adjustments required. So far this has been the least expensive Lexus to maintain I've owned. And the mileage isn't bad either .

Originally Posted by smassey321
I am going to do the inverter and engine coolant at 90k when I do the timing belt and water pump. I just did trans and rear diff at 60k which is the "severe" schedule for changing them. Is he changing your brake fluid? That should be done every 30k according to the manual. Toyota hybrids do not have this 30k frequency so some have suggested that the Lexus one is excessive.
Old 01-13-12, 06:17 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Cruiter
On my RX 450h the brake fluid was a recommended change at 30k and I did it. I think it's well over 100k before it's recommended again.

On the other side your maintenance cost will go down when/if you get a new one. No timing belt or water pump change. Everything is internal and electric with no belts on the hybrid version. The timing is done now by an internal chain with no adjustments required. So far this has been the least expensive Lexus to maintain I've owned. And the mileage isn't bad either .

I know your engine has no timing belt, however doesnt it still have a water pump on the ice or did they make that electric also? I know on the 400h the 3.3 engine has a timing belt driven water pump as well as the inverter water pump which is electric. (mine failed at 103k miles) The pump is located on the bottom of the car just below the radiator area infront of the converter....So they can fail...my vehicle is a 2008 so it was only about 3 years old when it failed.
Old 01-13-12, 07:29 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I just checked my 'updated' maintenance requirements book. Brake fluid is to be changed at 30k intervals. 10k intervals for oil & filter with normal use. 5k intervals for tire rotation and normal checks of everything. And periodic checks and torque tightening of various bolts on shafts etc. Not a word anywhere about a water pump. I was told it was internal. Several months ago I pulled all the covers off the top of the engine compartment and could not see any belts at all. A/C and Power Steering are also electric. Throttle is 'drive by wire' (no linkage). In the owners manual under index, water pump is not even mentioned (anywhere).
Side note: they may have learned that reduced use (when ICE is off) and possibly a different design (electric and less RPM) there is not enough significant wear to warrant change. In other words, it should last the life of the car, same as engine.

It's the new age and with 32k no issues. It seems bullet proof so far. The one option I wish I had is the HUD. It will definitely be on the next one .
Originally Posted by thomas1
I know your engine has no timing belt, however doesnt it still have a water pump on the ice or did they make that electric also? I know on the 400h the 3.3 engine has a timing belt driven water pump as well as the inverter water pump which is electric. (mine failed at 103k miles) The pump is located on the bottom of the car just below the radiator area infront of the converter....So they can fail...my vehicle is a 2008 so it was only about 3 years old when it failed.

Last edited by Cruiter; 01-13-12 at 07:40 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 01-13-12, 08:37 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Well jim, nothing is lifetime...As I said waterpump is not a normal replacement item...Usually they say to inspect for leakage (the weap hole)....However my electric waterpump did fail....thank goodness it was that, at first I thought I had lost the inverter or hybrid batteries...The pump our cost would have been $168 but as usual the dealer marked it up to $250....Next time I will change it myself, especially now that I have the codes it creates....Maybe our next lexus will be a Lexus RX450, since we have owned the 99 RX300 and now just bought this used RX400h (2008) this last year. Love the car, but a little scared about potential hybrid failures, brake system failures etc since they are so costly and not made for the diy guy like me...I would have to have the Toyota diagnostic tester to have access for service. Oh well cars get smarter and we just accept them...