Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Oil Change on Hybrid! what to expect?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-12, 02:44 PM
yeehawbob
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oil Change on Hybrid! what to expect?

Hello,
I have the message coming up that "oil change needed soon". I plan to do it this weekend, so is it pretty standard or do you have any pointers?
I have always changed the oil on my cars.

TIA
Old 06-01-12, 10:50 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many miles are on your car? That message will show at 5k miles and you only need to have the tires done. If it is only 10k miles Lexus will do that one free. You only need to chand the oil every 10k miles, However the light will still come on every 5k miles.
Old 06-04-12, 01:00 PM
yeehawbob
Driver

I just hit the 27,887 mark. I saw a sticker on the windshield from dealer that shows next oil change at that mark.
My RX was a dealer demo/loaner model and I have all the records available online that show what and when they performed any type of service.
I do have both messages for Oil and for tires.
Old 06-04-12, 01:28 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 170 Likes on 144 Posts

You can turn off the change oil message yourself by following these instructions. Just don't forget to actually change it. I'm not sure how to reset the tire light.
Old 06-04-12, 02:10 PM
yeehawbob
Driver

Thanks Anita,
I will be changing the oil this weekend and rotate the tires at the same time. at which point I will reset the warning's.

Does anyone know the location of the cabin air filter? How hard is it to replace it yourself?
Old 06-04-12, 04:16 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ease-read.html

It is also in the big book you got when you got your car and it is in the online manual not had but do a search here and you can find a few tricks to make it go faster.
Old 06-05-12, 06:01 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by yeehawbob
Thanks Anita,
I will be changing the oil this weekend and rotate the tires at the same time. at which point I will reset the warning's.

Does anyone know the location of the cabin air filter? How hard is it to replace it yourself?
Cabin filter? Access it from your glove compartment. It is easy but little tricky since you have to take the SHELF OUT by lifting it UP then OUT you. There is a thread about it somewhere here.

Good luck.
Old 06-07-12, 10:26 AM
yeehawbob
Driver

Surprise!

The oil filter at the $tealership costs $6.50 including "O" rings and a plastic tool to remove the filter.

FRAM or STP oil filter at the local Auto Zone $11+. "" WOW""
Old 06-07-12, 07:39 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

what a good deal for you
Old 06-10-12, 09:34 PM
yeehawbob
Driver

So oil change done, oil filter changed, air filter changed! It was ***** to get the oil filter housing to unscrew, I think the tech at the $tealership, did not use a torque wrench.

Message reset done too, thanks Anita!

Thanks everyone!
Old 06-11-12, 06:29 AM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

That is why I will take it to a Toyota store. Not worth my time to do it ( had both knees replaced hard to get up off the ground)
Old 06-11-12, 06:33 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Same reason here. No lift at home and the Toyota store knows me and the car now. Actually underneath it's not that different from the Highlander hybrid so they know their way around. And the price of an oil change is half of what the Lexus store charges (or less if there's a special).
Originally Posted by billy44bo
That is why I will take it to a Toyota store. Not worth my time to do it ( had both knees replaced hard to get up off the ground)
Old 06-11-12, 08:39 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 170 Likes on 144 Posts

I gave up on doing oil changes too. Wasn't worth it between the mess and getting rid of the used oil. I'll stick with the simple stuff
Old 06-11-12, 01:46 PM
yeehawbob
Driver

Originally Posted by kitlz
I gave up on doing oil changes too. Wasn't worth it between the mess and getting rid of the used oil. I'll stick with the simple stuff
Wow!! it took me all but 20-25 minutes to do the whole job. I did not have to raise the car but I use a jack just to move the oil around.

My garbage people take the used oil with the garbage cans so I am not sure what other challenges others face. I understand any physical issues.

How about you post the cost to change the oil at Toyota, Lexus dealer or at jiffy lube kind of places?
Remember to use 0-20W synthetic oil. I personally use Mobile1.

My cost: $38 for Mobile1 0-20w Oil, $6.50 Oil filter, $24 Air Filter, 25 minutes of my time and the satisfaction of a job well done! :-)

Last edited by yeehawbob; 06-11-12 at 01:50 PM.
Old 06-11-12, 02:31 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

$55 for the slick Toyota stuff at Toyota and my hands were clean. No latte but 25 min time for Angry Birds on my iPad. Priceless
Originally Posted by yeehawbob
Wow!! it took me all but 20-25 minutes to do the whole job. I did not have to raise the car but I use a jack just to move the oil around.

My garbage people take the used oil with the garbage cans so I am not sure what other challenges others face. I understand any physical issues.

How about you post the cost to change the oil at Toyota, Lexus dealer or at jiffy lube kind of places?
Remember to use 0-20W synthetic oil. I personally use Mobile1.

My cost: $38 for Mobile1 0-20w Oil, $6.50 Oil filter, $24 Air Filter, 25 minutes of my time and the satisfaction of a job well done! :-)

Quick Reply: Oil Change on Hybrid! what to expect?