Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

ECO setting

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-12, 10:02 AM
MikeP
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Default ECO setting

When I took delivery of my 2013 RX450h, I turned the ECO setting on. I was happy with the fuel economy, but was disappointed in the engine's response and the performance of the A/C. I always kept the ECO setting on with my previous Lexus, a 2010 LS460, but on occasion when I turned it off on the LS, I only felt a small difference.

Well today, I turned the ECO setting off on my RX and WOW, what a major difference. With the ECO setting on, I practically had to floor the accelerator to keep up with traffic and it still felt sluggish. I also had to keep lowering the A/C temp, especially in town. Now, with the ECO setting off, the truck feels like it has a transplanted V8 from my LS. It seems easier to get up to speed in order to back off the accelerator to shut down the ICE. I just filled the tank so I'll check the effect on fuel economy with the ECO setting turned off. Hopefully I'll still be able to restrain my right foot.

I had a smile on my face driving my RX before, but now I'm LOL.
Old 07-23-12, 01:06 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeP
When I took delivery of my 2013 RX450h, I turned the ECO setting on. I was happy with the fuel economy, but was disappointed in the engine's response and the performance of the A/C. I always kept the ECO setting on with my previous Lexus, a 2010 LS460, but on occasion when I turned it off on the LS, I only felt a small difference.

Well today, I turned the ECO setting off on my RX and WOW, what a major difference. With the ECO setting on, I practically had to floor the accelerator to keep up with traffic and it still felt sluggish. I also had to keep lowering the A/C temp, especially in town. Now, with the ECO setting off, the truck feels like it has a transplanted V8 from my LS. It seems easier to get up to speed in order to back off the accelerator to shut down the ICE. I just filled the tank so I'll check the effect on fuel economy with the ECO setting turned off. Hopefully I'll still be able to restrain my right foot.

I had a smile on my face driving my RX before, but now I'm LOL.
I ONLY set ECO ON when I cruise on the hiway because it is sluggish in town. I turn ECO OFF as soon as I take the exit to town. It is easy to turn it on and off.
Old 07-23-12, 01:37 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I've seldom used mine on ECO during the last couple of years. My MPG is great mostly because I still use the engine monitor to drive as economically as possible. But I have the power when needed
Old 07-23-12, 02:02 PM
sleepysurf
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of MPG are y'all getting with ECO off? I've been driving 100% ECO the past 18 months, but only averaging 29 MPG (mixed City/Hwy). Now, I'm thinking WTF, might as well turn off the ECO and have some power at hand when I need it! When I first got my RX450h (2 yrs ago) I managed only 25-26 MPG with ECO off, but that was before it was fully broken in. If you are all getting over 28, I'll give it a whirl again!
Old 07-23-12, 02:05 PM
MikeP
Advanced

I've been slowly going through the threads in the Hybrid section to learn more about this complex machine. You guys have posted a lot of great information. Thanks for sharing your experience.
Old 07-23-12, 02:19 PM
MikeP
Advanced

Originally Posted by sleepysurf
What kind of MPG are y'all getting with ECO off? I've been driving 100% ECO the past 18 months, but only averaging 29 MPG (mixed City/Hwy). Now, I'm thinking WTF, might as well turn off the ECO and have some power at hand when I need it! When I first got my RX450h (2 yrs ago) I managed only 25-26 MPG with ECO off, but that was before it was fully broken in. If you are all getting over 28, I'll give it a whirl again!
I've only just refilled my tank since I took delivery of my RX, but the first tank was about 50%-50% city/hwy with ECO turned on. The dealer had about 34psi in the tires, so I left where it was. Before I filled my tank today (Sam's premium), the Average mpg indicator read 31.2mpg. I added more air to my tires today (37psi) and turned off ECO. I only drove about 10 miles back home from Sam's and the MPG since fill-up indicator read 30.1mpg. Too early to tell if my average mpg will be less. I know it's harder to restrain the right foot with ECO turned off. As a side note, I dropped my tire pressure to 35psi. I found 37psi rode a little harsh.
Old 07-23-12, 07:40 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

It's definitely a driving style and you have to be consistent not just part of the time. Planning your route and stops, coasting to stops when possible rather than stopping when you have just enough time to brake, maintaining steady speeds, and hwy at 70 or below are all part of it, but you can do it with out the ECO on which makes everything else work more normally. This is my last 10 or so fill ups average. I usually don't go to empty but fill up somewhere around 1/2 tank or when it seems best based on prevailing prices. Being retired gives more latitude there. This is a great app you can d/load for your droid.
Originally Posted by sleepysurf
Attached Thumbnails ECO setting-mpg.jpg  

Last edited by Cruiter; 07-23-12 at 07:43 PM. Reason: info
Old 07-25-12, 07:18 AM
V1VrV2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm, can't say I've ever turned ECO off -- guess I'll have to do that! There goes our hard-earned 30.6 lifetime fuel economy... ha! :-)
Old 07-25-12, 08:56 AM
MikeP
Advanced

Even though it has been only a few days since I turned ECO off, I can see a difference in when the ICE turns on and off. There is a very obvious increase in power from the ICE, but for my RX, the ICE turns off less consistently with ECO off. So far since I have filled up and turned ECO off, my avg mpg has slipped from 31.2 (ECO on) to 28.6, almost 3mpg less. Am I too quick to conclude the only factor for the reduced economy is because of the ECO mode turned off, or could it be that I am unconsciously enjoying the added power too much, or does the ICU need to relearn my driving habits now with the ECO mode turned off?
Old 07-25-12, 09:47 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I have no specific knowledge of this, but I thought, perhaps incorrectly, that the car learned two different patterns. One for ECO mode and another with ECO mode off. When in ECO I make a more conscious effort to drive economically. With ECO off it's back to lead foot.

Does anyone know for sure?