Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 6ES forum for discussion about shared components with other sixth generation ES models.

Bought a ES300h today...

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-12, 06:03 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

That is some really impressive mileage. I just did a simple calculation of a normal ES350 combined mpg of 24 vs ES300h combined mpg of 40 mpg. Using a standard 15,000 mile annual mileage and $3.50 regular gas price. You can break even on the $2800 premium of the hybrid model in about 3 years.
Old 08-22-12, 08:14 AM
gfr1
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Winsalem, or others experienced in late model Toyota hybrid vehicles. When does the motor/generator actually charge the battery during re-generation. Articles say, "when decellerating, such as braking", or some such. Is a brake pedal required, or does it generate when the velocity of the vehicle is greater than the accellerator is asking for? Such as, slowing, or going down a steep grade without brakes? If that is the case, is the decceleration rate greater when approaching a stop than a standard vehicle with the same transmission system and is the speed limiting cruise-control more effective going down a steep mountain grade, due to the re-generation? If the battery charge becomes full, does the decceleration rate then change, or going down a mountain grade, is the engine/re-generation braking then reduced due to the battery becoming full? My ES300h is due in a couple of weeks and I've not had this question clarified.
Old 08-22-12, 09:26 AM
mikedege
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So far, my first tank, with 277 miles is showing 34.5 mpg. fyi... I only run in ECO mode, and run 40% city/60% highway. I expect it to improve, I still have more than 1/2 a tank left.

-Mike
Old 08-22-12, 09:40 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by winsalem
I noticed the "Lexus" badge missing on my HS...and I like it; it's a classy move. After all, you don't see "Rolls-Royce" emblazoned on the back of their cars; it's just on the radiator emblem in small letters. Even Hyundai has stopped printing their name on cars...just their distinctive "H".
It just comes from years of seeing them with two emblems I think.

41.5...wow...thats what we used to get in our '04 Prius...
Old 08-22-12, 03:14 PM
winsalem
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by gfr1
Winsalem, or others experienced in late model Toyota hybrid vehicles. When does the motor/generator actually charge the battery during re-generation. Articles say, "when decellerating, such as braking", or some such. Is a brake pedal required, or does it generate when the velocity of the vehicle is greater than the accellerator is asking for? Such as, slowing, or going down a steep grade without brakes? If that is the case, is the decceleration rate greater when approaching a stop than a standard vehicle with the same transmission system and is the speed limiting cruise-control more effective going down a steep mountain grade, due to the re-generation? If the battery charge becomes full, does the decceleration rate then change, or going down a mountain grade, is the engine/re-generation braking then reduced due to the battery becoming full? My ES300h is due in a couple of weeks and I've not had this question clarified.
Wow, great questions, and I will need to defer to others for a qualified answer. Here's an amateur version:

The battery gets charged anytime your foot is not pressing on the gas pedal. Coasting and/or braking. There's a LOT of coasting involved in my everyday driving, because I live in slightly hilly country. The brake pedal is NOT required for charging. Depressing the brake may charge the battery at a higher rate (at least that's what I think I have read or heard; beware of my hearsay haha).

I don't think the deceleration rate is any different from any other car, except maybe the "speed limiting cruise-control" you mention (which I don't think I've ever had on any previous Lexus or Toyota). The only difference is that the gasoline engine turns off when you're coasting/decelerating, and the battery is getting charged, so there's no traditional engine compression that might slow you down; the recharging during coasting MAY be slowing you some, I just don't know. Back in the old days, they would call this "freewheelin'", where there is zero engine compression holding you back as you coast.

I'm 62, from Wilkes County NC (home of Junior Johnson and the roots of Nascar drivers -- plus a LOT of moonshiners). Back on two-lane roads in the 1950's, people would purposely drive closely behind a big truck and "draft" in the suction that was created. Once you felt the drafting working, you would shift into neutral and get propelled along; some fools would even turn off their engines. My father did it once or twice when I was riding with him, and I'd say it was the same "freewheelin'" feeling you get when you're coasting in a hybrid. Except not nearly as dangerous!

When the battery gets fully charged, I have never felt any difference at all, accelerating, coasting or braking. The only way you even know how much the battery is charged is from one of the dash readouts. It's something I've never bothered to look at, since it's all being done "behind the curtain". And worrying about the battery's charge level is a distraction from driving safely; believe me, it can get addictive and that ain't good. So I keep that stuff hidden, along with MPG readouts. Check it when you've stopped somewhere.

Comparing the HS to the new ESh, if the dash light is correct, I believe that this car travels exclusively on the twin electric motors* more than the HS did. For instance, on the ESh there's a little green "EV" light on the dash that lights up whenever the ICE (internal combustion engine) is off. I'm seeing the "EV" glowing at higher speeds than in my HS; again, it seems to me that the electric motors are powering the car at greater speeds than in the other hybrids I've owned. And that's why I think I'm able to get 41+ MPG in a heavier car (ESh) than my HS which maxed out at 35 MPG.

The HS "EV" would cut off at speeds > 20 MPH; the ESh "EV" seems to stay on until you reach around 35-40 MPH. Caveat: This is ONLY true if you are consciously driving with a light and steady foot; if you stab the gas from full stop at a traffic light the "EV" light doesn't even bother to flicker; the ICE takes over and the electric motors join in. That combination of ICE + electric is why this car truly has unbelievable power when you need it...e.g., merging onto an interstate, or punching the gas to get out of the way of some idiot (I still live in N.C.; sadly there are quite a number of 90's era Camaros and Mustangs that seem hell bent on weaving in and out of traffic to get home earlier than the rest of us. It's some sort of competition I've never joined.).

Hope all this wasn't too confusing. Again, we need the experts to chime in. Someone like Diagtime, who is a technician and wrote a pretty brilliant posting in this forum entitled "A technician's short review of the '13 es".

*a/k/a the MG1 and the MG2 according to Car & Driver Magazine at:
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review
Old 09-24-12, 11:54 PM
Shervin350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

very nice color combo
Old 09-28-12, 08:30 AM
2010es350
Driver School Candidate

how much did you pay for it?
Old 10-02-12, 11:34 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Congrats!
Old 10-04-12, 09:00 AM
winsalem
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 2010es350
how much did you pay for it?
Someone asked that earlier...see my earlier post in this thread...thx
Old 10-04-12, 01:00 PM
Ahmedabad
Driver School Candidate

That is a one gorgeous car right there sir!

I can't wait to get mine next year
Old 10-04-12, 03:00 PM
winsalem
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ahmedabad
That is a one gorgeous car right there sir!

I can't wait to get mine next year
Thx...and I'm bettin' you're gonna love yours too. Other than my '92 SC coupe, this is my favorite and probably the best Lexus I've owned.