Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 6ES forum for discussion about shared components with other sixth generation ES models.
Old 01-07-15, 12:26 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

ES300h Gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-13, 08:00 AM
mkhart
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brunla
I live in Los Angeles, and just finishing my first tank of gas. Mostly stop and go city traffic (70%) and some highway (30%). All in ECO and being conscious of trying to drive "appropriately" for gas mileage, but not fanatic about it. It is impossible to ease out of a stop as slow as you need to in LA, without someone rear-ending you.

I averaged 30.1 MPG per computer. I sincerely hope this improves!
So here's something to try. It worked for me. Whenever driving above 50 mph switch into "Normal" mode. (I rarely use "Sport" mode, as it uses more gas) When stopped, slowing down or driving below 23 mph, switch the "EV" button on. Another thing that works well is using your brakes sparingly. Let your car's momentum "drive" you down hills and inclines, or coast into stop lights and stop signs. This involves learning a bit about hyper-miling. Once you get the hang of the routes that you drive frequently using hyper-miling you'll make it a habit and save on gas and your brake pads at the same time. My mileage increased another 5 to 6 mpg after adopting this way of driving.
Old 02-25-13, 08:06 AM
a310pilot
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do this with a non Hybrid car and it works just fine. I think these tips should be part of driving skills regardless of hybrid or not.

No point in racing up to the red light only to stop.
Old 02-25-13, 10:26 AM
mrBillFL
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ElliotB
'coasting/gliding as much as possible" I typically try to get the car into a controlled EV 'coast'. After you reach your cruising speed, release the throttle then very, very lightly/slightly depress the gas pedal (immediately after releasing the gas pedal). This will almost always get the car into EV mode (as long as there is enough battery power) and allow you to stay at or near your cruising speed for long distances IN EV MODE, racking up nice distances at ultra high MPGs. This works best under 45mph and of course you need battery power. I have the tachometer showing rather than the standard hybrid display and it will usually show 0 rpm when in this coast mode.

You still want to coast without depressing the gas pedal whenever possible when approaching a traffic light or stop sign (traffic permitting).
THIS!

I was able to do this (finally) this weekend. have not experimented too much yet, but was able to engage EV mode around 40mph.

the key is not being in heavy traffic, and probably less than 70mph.

I speed up to around 40mph, then feather off gas, somewhere around 1100 rpms the ev mode kicks in and rpms go to zero. (you can feel the engine cut off), but speed continues. -or slowly decreases.

with too much gas peddle, the engine re-engages, but with a light touch you can maintain, or even increase mph slightly.

I needed light traffic, to do this.

it did not work on my daily commute on I95. (well over 55mph). but maybe on a weekend with light traffic.

*I'm not sure if the sport mode uses more fuel, or it just allows the throttle to engage quicker. (shorter travel). I did notice in eco mode, it took longer to catch up to the cars in front, so while I'm using less throttle, its for a longer duration.

Last edited by mrBillFL; 02-25-13 at 10:29 AM.
Old 02-25-13, 10:31 AM
Fly4u
Banned

Originally Posted by mrBillFL
THIS!

I was able to do this (finally) this weekend. have not experimented too much yet, but was able to engage EV mode around 40mph.

the key is not being in heavy traffic, and probably less than 70mph.

I speed up to around 40mph, then feather off gas, somewhere around 1100 rpms the ev mode kicks in and rpms go to zero. (you can feel the engine cut off), but speed continues. -or slowly decreases.

with too much gas peddle, the engine re-engages, but with a light touch you can maintain, or even increase mph slightly.

I needed light traffic, to do this.
Indeed! I'm acclimating to the ES300h from a Fusion Hybrid. Haven't read the owners manual in great detail yet, but Lexus seems to have a less intuitive summary of dynamic and end-of-drive performance. Ford has a superb "power" gage that graphically illustrates the relationship between pedal position and EV vs ICE ranges.

So far the best daily summary in the ES is 42 MPG with mixed driving.

Last edited by Fly4u; 02-25-13 at 11:01 AM.
Old 02-25-13, 10:34 AM
mrBillFL
Lead Lap

pressing the EV mode button, is also somewhat a mystery.... I have used it stopped at a left turn into my development, up to say 10mph, and in my parking garage.

I'm not sure if the computer needs to see a zero MPH, or what to engage the EV mode. I often get a beep telling me it will not engage, due to speed...

so that also a mystery...

(only on 3rd fill up)

bottom line: you have to drive differently to get the max MPG.
Old 02-25-13, 12:09 PM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"....and probably less than 70mph. "

Hybrids typically get their best fuel efficiency on the highway at significantly slower speeds than 70mph, although to my surprise it appears this vehicle does really, really well in the low to mid 60 mph range.

I have been able to drive in EV mode at speeds up to about 46-47 mph.
Old 02-25-13, 12:46 PM
JerryKK
Driver

"....and probably less than 70mph. "

Hybrids typically get their best fuel efficiency on the highway at significantly slower speeds than 70mph, although to my surprise it appears this vehicle does really, really well in the low to mid 60 mph range.

I have been able to drive in EV mode at speeds up to about 46-47 mph.
I am use to driving on our California Freeways about 70-75 MPH - now with the 300h I have slowed down to 60/65 and I keep getting this from my wife: "why are you driving so slow - you're driving like an old man"!
Old 02-25-13, 04:44 PM
mrBillFL
Lead Lap

Ha! that's kinda the issue. you have to drive slower than the car behind you would like.... thus my need for lighter traffic.

I was able to engaged EV mode on I95 today, with a large interval between me and the car in front, I'd get into the 60's closing on the car in front, then back off the gas down to1100 rpms. and it kicked in. Sometimes with a big lift of the gas I could engage, and coast....

I'm starting to learn the tricks...

at the same time, if I'm in the left lane (HOV) , I don't want to be a rolling road block...
Old 02-25-13, 05:40 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryKK
I am use to driving on our California Freeways about 70-75 MPH - now with the 300h I have slowed down to 60/65 and I keep getting this from my wife: "why are you driving so slow - you're driving like an old man"!
I'm hearing that all the time too, and that's from myself.
Old 02-25-13, 06:52 PM
es300h
Driver School Candidate

Lol, I just heard this an hour ago.

Originally Posted by Arty101
I'm hearing that all the time too, and that's from myself.
Old 02-25-13, 09:36 PM
newone88
Driver School Candidate

This is funny. When I was driving my old beat up car, I was zigzagging between cars and getting mad at all slow drivers.
Now, I find myself driving at a leisurely speed. Maybe, I'm enjoying the ride more or I'm driving carefully not to get into an accident or get a ticket.
Old 02-25-13, 10:05 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

When I see a red 300h driven like grandpa, I'll be sure to wave while cruising along like granny.
Old 02-26-13, 07:26 PM
newone88
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Arty101
When I see a red 300h driven like grandpa, I'll be sure to wave while cruising along like granny.

Actually, I still drive 40-45 in 25-35 driving zones but I don't feel like speeding at all. I'm really enjoying the drive a lot more.
Old 02-27-13, 03:32 AM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

After several years of driving hybrids, my wife has gotten used to my slower speeds and has stopped making comments.
Old 02-27-13, 06:49 AM
CurryPot
Driver

After several years of driving hybrids, my wife has gotten used to my slower speeds and has stopped making comments.
When you are driving a Lexus ES, no one is expecting your to drive quickly

Quick Reply: ES300h Gas mileage