Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 6ES forum for discussion about shared components with other sixth generation ES models.
Old 01-07-15, 12:26 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

ES300h Gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-13, 11:33 AM
Fly4u
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by toomeypj
According to the link below, the government only dictates the conditions of the mileage testing. The feds accept the word of the manufacturer and only retests 10% for accuracy.
Fox guarding the henhouse!
Old 03-01-13, 01:13 PM
toomeypj
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Your mileage may vary

Originally Posted by Fly4u
Fox guarding the henhouse!
And after today's budget cuts the fox will be furloughed with no one watching out for our interests. At least there are owners reporting their mileage on forums like this and they have no reason to lie.
Old 03-05-13, 05:28 PM
JerryKK
Driver

I filled up my tank yesterday after having the light come on and the computer stating that I had 39 miles remaining (since I am getting about 38 mpg - that would indicate that I had one gallon remaining; however, I was only able to squeeze 14.2 gallons into the car. So I am assuming that when the light comes on, in reality you have about three gallons remaining and that would total out to over 100 miles that could still be driven!). It's also confusing when you fill up the tank and it states that you can go about 650 miles - but then when my speedometer hit 545 - it was time to fill up (545/14.2=38.4............the computer stated I was getting 39 mpg - so that was pretty close.
Old 03-05-13, 05:55 PM
mrBillFL
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

just filled up. 38.5 mpg. computer had me at 39.3
Old 03-05-13, 05:59 PM
Photios
Driver School Candidate

Is there a setting whereby the total amount of fuel consumed is displayed? My 2007 Tahoe had a setting which would tell me how many of gallons of gas had been consumed since my last fill-up. Is this something Lexus overlooked, or am I just missing it?

Thanks!
Old 03-07-13, 05:33 AM
LEX300h
Driver School Candidate

Default Same Issue

My Gas light came on, I tried to push it to see how far I could go. The computer said I only had an 8 mile range. I went to the gas station I actually had two gallons left. I am averaging 40MPG which means I actually had 80 miles left. I think for some reason Lexus does this in order for us to not run out of gas. In actuality the computer does not to calculate the total distance accurately even on a fill up. If you average 40 MPG in a 17.2g tank that is 688 miles. I have yet to see this calculation and in many of cases I average over the 40mpg mark. Either way I love the vehicle. I am a first time hybrid vehicle owner, I am on my second fill up, and the more conservative that I drive the better the MPG. Once you learn the tricks that the other have already stated it is quite easy to obtain the 40mpg. Roll down hill, up the the stop light, stay under 60 mph, break early up to the stop light/ signs etc to re-charge the battery. All of this works. I plan to squeeze over 700 miles out of a tank. Has anyone else accomplished this thus far?
Old 03-07-13, 05:40 AM
LEX300h
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LEX300h
My Gas light came on, I tried to push it to see how far I could go. The computer said I only had an 8 mile range. I went to the gas station I actually had two gallons left. I am averaging 40MPG which means I actually had 80 miles left. I think for some reason Lexus does this in order for us to not run out of gas. In actuality the computer does not to calculate the total distance accurately even on a fill up. If you average 40 MPG in a 17.2g tank that is 688 miles. I have yet to see this calculation and in many of cases I average over the 40mpg mark. Either Way I love the vehicle. I am a first time hybrid vehicle owner, I am on my second fill up, and the more conservative that I drive the better the MPG. Once you learn the tricks that the other have already stated it is quite easy to obtain the 40mpg. Roll down hill, up to the stop light, stay under 60 mph, break early rolling to the stop light/ signs etc to re-charge the battery. All of this works. I plan to squeeze over 700 miles out of a tank. Has anyone else accomplished this thus far?
sorry for the errors, I fat fingered this from the phone.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 03-07-13, 09:06 AM
gfr1
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Gas light came on, I tried to push it to see how far I could go. The computer said I only had an 8 mile range. I went to the gas station I actually had two gallons left. I am averaging 40MPG which means I actually had 80 miles left. I think for some reason Lexus does this in order for us to not run out of gas. In actuality the computer does not to calculate the total distance accurately even on a fill up. If you average 40 MPG in a 17.2g tank that is 688 miles. I have yet to see this calculation and in many of cases I average over the 40mpg mark. Either way I love the vehicle. I am a first time hybrid vehicle owner, I am on my second fill up, and the more conservative that I drive the better the MPG. Once you learn the tricks that the other have already stated it is quite easy to obtain the 40mpg. Roll down hill, up the the stop light, stay under 60 mph, break early up to the stop light/ signs etc to re-charge the battery. All of this works. I plan to squeeze over 700 miles out of a tank. Has anyone else accomplished this thus far?
I haven't, but certainly do-able. My entry on the subject is #73, above, 11/12/12, Page 5. Since that time, I calibrated my odometer with a precision GPS (Over $500.00 system) over a distance of 30 miles. Surprisingly, the odometer was a little short, rather than the expected high. My miles of 668.4 was actually 679.8. So, my 40.0 computer mpg was actually 39.268. And, that was with many, many, cold starts, over a six week period of suburb commuting in the DFW area. And, my first tank from new, refueled to the brim.
Old 03-07-13, 10:09 AM
MY100thcar
Driver

Originally Posted by Photios
Is there a setting whereby the total amount of fuel consumed is displayed? My 2007 Tahoe had a setting which would tell me how many of gallons of gas had been consumed since my last fill-up. Is this something Lexus overlooked, or am I just missing it?

Thanks!
LEXUS does not have that setting like other features my 2011 TAHOE has and my ES300h does not.
Two very important ones to me is....
#1 AIR CONDITIONED seats, ES only has Ventalated seats, BIG difference.
#2 Remote folding mirrors.

Ofcourse the ES has some features the Tahoe does not. The MOST important to me is....
#1 The Navigation system with REMOTE TOUCH device
#2 The Screen being up high near the windshield, so you can keep your eye on the road better.
Old 03-07-13, 11:07 AM
LEX300h
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gfr1
Quote:

I haven't, but certainly do-able. My entry on the subject is #73, above, 11/12/12, Page 5. Since that time, I calibrated my odometer with a precision GPS (Over $500.00 system) over a distance of 30 miles. Surprisingly, the odometer was a little short, rather than the expected high. My miles of 668.4 was actually 679.8. So, my 40.0 computer mpg was actually 39.268. And, that was with many, many, cold starts, over a six week period of suburb commuting in the DFW area. And, my first tank from new, refueled to the brim.
So am I understanding this correctly. The CPU calculated 668.4 and you actually gor 679.8? I am driving under the same conditions here. Will mileage increase as the vehicle breaks in?

Old 03-07-13, 11:14 AM
LEX300h
Driver School Candidate

I think Lexus could have acheived a higher mpg. I think if an update was made to allow the ev mode to operate at a higher speed at all times, not just when discharging the battery, the mpg rating would substantially increase. I personally think a recall/update will be made to tweak some things programming wise. The 40mpg can be obtained but you do have to drive the vehicle much different then a gas powered vehicle. Just my 2cents.

Old 03-07-13, 12:18 PM
mrBillFL
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm still perplexed on how and when the EV mode kicks in. doesn't seem to like that for the 1st 2 min after power up, OTOH I've also been able to engage EV at power-up. (inconsistent).

and I was also able to get to 35mph in EV mode last night, with a very very light foot.. and no traffic. took a while, but I saw 35mph on the speedo before the engine kicked in.

I think I might see 41mpg, driving like an old man... but not sure I will do that all the time. -once I find out the max and min for a given driving style.

Commuting at 80mph and passing at will and still getting 37mpg. -what's not to like.
Old 03-07-13, 12:49 PM
LEX300h
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mrBillFL
I'm still perplexed on how and when the EV mode kicks in. doesn't seem to like that for the 1st 2 min after power up, OTOH I've also been able to engage EV at power-up. (inconsistent).

and I was also able to get to 35mph in EV mode last night, with a very very light foot.. and no traffic. took a while, but I saw 35mph on the speedo before the engine kicked in.

I think I might see 41mpg, driving like an old man... but not sure I will do that all the time. -once I find out the max and min for a given driving style.

Commuting at 80mph and passing at will and still getting 37mpg. -what's not to like.
I agree I have done the same in EV mode, I think the ev motor is capable of higher speeds then it is programed to do now, maybe lexus is waiting for the next model es to to maximize mpg and suck us back in lol

Old 03-07-13, 01:27 PM
gfr1
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So am I understanding this correctly. The CPU calculated 668.4 and you actually gor 679.8? I am driving under the same conditions here. Will mileage increase as the vehicle breaks in?

No, not the CPU. The odometer mileage reading in my speedometer records a little less than actual mileage. Such very small errors are to be expected, since various tire sizes and brands are installed. Usually, though, one can expect the odometer to read optimistic, or over state then mileage. My ES300h recorded 668.4 miles with that tank of fuel, but the calibrated true mileage was 679.8, or 1.017% more than my odometer reads. My tires are the 17" Michelins. When the tires are worn down, or if I had the 18" option, the odometer might well be right on. As it is, my odometer reads 0.984 of actual miles. And, with my vehicle the fuel gage, at the "Empty" mark means Empty, as I put 17.312 in it, to the filler neck brim. The engine was still running at shutdown. Also, after refuel, the driving range readout said 655 miles, which is pretty close, I'd say.
Old 03-07-13, 02:13 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I think Lexus could have acheived a higher mpg. I think if an update was made to allow the ev mode to operate at a higher speed at all times, not just when discharging the battery, the mpg rating would substantially increase. I personally think a recall/update will be made to tweak some things programming wise. The 40mpg can be obtained but you do have to drive the vehicle much different then a gas powered vehicle. Just my 2cents.

I would like to think that re-programming or tweaking of the cpu would allow the EV mode to operate at a higher speed. From all I've read, it has a lot to do with the type and size of the batteries that dictate the range and speed the EV can operate. One of the reasons why the plug-ins use different batteries (both all electric and plug-ins)? Perhaps on the next evolution of Lexus hybrid or plug-in's.

Quick Reply: ES300h Gas mileage