Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 6ES forum for discussion about shared components with other sixth generation ES models.
Old 01-07-15, 12:26 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

ES300h Gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-13, 12:53 AM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"I'm not so sure that my car is just not as efficient as others"

Photios. you can have your car checked but chances are your FE is due to other factors. What kind of temperatures are you dealing with?

"I have really been trying to drive the car to maximize mpg." What exactly are you doing?
Old 03-10-13, 05:47 AM
LEX300h
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Photios
I must say that I am disappointed by my average mpg. I'm still on my first tank, having driven 425 miles, and I'm averaging 34 mpg. From what people are saying, there is no gain in mpg after breaking in the engine, and after the first 100 miles, I have really been trying to drive the car to maximize mpg. I live in Seattle, and it is true that it is colder here than California or Florida, but certainly not colder than Maryland. I have heard that gas mixtures used in the winter can adversely affect mpg, but, I'm not so sure that my car is just not as efficient as others.

Hopefully things may improve with my first fill-up, which most likely will take place in a week or so. One thing I have learned which I never really noticed before, sad to say, is that Seattle is loaded with hills with the terrain changing constantly!
are you blasting the heat, heated seats, heated steering wheel etc? are you letting the vehicle warm up in the am? are you looking at mpg after refill or daily?

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 03-10-13, 08:55 PM
Fynack
Driver School Candidate

Winter here in va/dc/md my average has been in the 39-41 range for me. This weekend its been 60f and im getting 46.5

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/85132/Photo%20Mar%2009%2C%203%2005%2008%20PM.jpg
Old 03-10-13, 10:56 PM
Photios
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ElliotB

Photios. you can have your car checked but chances are your FE is due to other factors. What kind of temperatures are you dealing with?

"I have really been trying to drive the car to maximize mpg." What exactly are you doing?
Typically, the temperatures here have been roughly upper 30's to mid 40's in the mornings, and highs to about 50 or so sometimes less (mid 40's) during the day. We are getting some warmer temps with lows in the mid 40s and highs in the mid 50s just now.

What I have been doing is trying to drive in EV mode whenever the car will let me, hyper-miling by getting the car up to speed under 45mph, and then easing off the gas and trying to then slowly put on the accelerator to see if I can get the car in EV mode, driving on the freeway at 55mph using cruise control, and basically driving very slow trying to squeeze every ounce of ev mode possible out of my car. I also try to anticipate stops, and then slowly push the brake to get maximum regenerative energy. I have not been warming up the car, as when I'm home in the morning, the car is parked in the garage.
Old 03-10-13, 11:04 PM
Photios
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LEX300h
are you blasting the heat, heated seats, heated steering wheel etc? are you letting the vehicle warm up in the am? are you looking at mpg after refill or daily?

Actually, I did read that using heat can decrease fuel economy, so... I'm using my heated seats, at the lowest setting. I have a heated steering wheel, but have yet to use it. I'm not letting the vehicle warm up as it sits in the garage overnight. My mpg is after refill. I have yet to reset it. Perhaps, my mpg is much better now since I began trying to utilize all the fuel saving tricks of the hybrid? I was at 27mpg after about 125 miles, so since that time I have to be over the 34 I'm at now.

This begs a question... when do I reset my car's fuel gauge computer? After every fill-up? Every day? I was not sure what happened after a reset, if all the data was wiped out. I tried looking all this up in the manual and could find no info... It must be there somewhere!
Old 03-11-13, 04:35 AM
LEX300h
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Fynack
Winter here in va/dc/md my average has been in the 39-41 range for me. This weekend its been 60f and im getting 46.5

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/85132/Photo%...%2008%20PM.jpg
yes I agree. from md to fairfax to got 45.5 yesterdsy. The wife took back rds to cap hill and got 51.1 I thought the cpu was broken. tgatsba 30 min trip btw

Old 03-11-13, 05:32 AM
LEX300h
Driver School Candidate

Quote:

Typically, the temperatures here have been roughly upper 30's to mid 40's in the mornings, and highs to about 50 or so sometimes less (mid 40's) during the day. We are getting some warmer temps with lows in the mid 40s and highs in the mid 50s just now.

What I have been doing is trying to drive in EV mode whenever the car will let me, hyper-miling by getting the car up to speed under 45mph, and then easing off the gas and trying to then slowly put on the accelerator to see if I can get the car in EV mode, driving on the freeway at 55mph using cruise control, and basically driving very slow trying to squeeze every ounce of ev mode possible out of my car. I also try to anticipate stops, and then slowly push the brake to get maximum regenerative energy. I have not been warming up the car, as when I'm home in the morning, the car is parked in the garage.
we have had colder temps here in the DC area. I use the heat and I am stilk able to obtain grear mpg. you dont have to reset avg mpg it will continue to calculate. Just out of curiosity maybe you should reset the avg mpg setting to see what you are currently averaging for the day. It sounds like you are driving in correctly.

Old 03-11-13, 06:41 AM
LEX300h
Driver School Candidate

Quote:

Quote:

we have had colder temps here in the DC area. I use the heat and I am stilk able to obtain grear mpg. you dont have to reset avg mpg it will continue to calculate. Just out of curiosity maybe you should reset the avg mpg setting to see what you are currently averaging for the day. It sounds like you are driving in correctly.

It sounds like you are driving it* correctly.

Old 03-11-13, 09:07 AM
mrBillFL
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

fwiw, I have been trying to get the car in EV mode whenever possible. when I selected cruise control the EV mode did NOT kick in, but when I switched to manual, I engaged it. (around 45mph).

I'm now engaging EV in normal (default) mode, but think I like sport mode better...

the key to staying in EV mode, has been resting my RT foot on the center tunnel to steady the acceleration.
Old 03-11-13, 09:34 AM
Photios
Driver School Candidate

So, this would mean resetting the "trip screen"? I have navi (not sure how this displays in cars without navi) so there are two screens for fuel consumption: "past record" and "trip information".

Also, once I refill the tank, does the car know that I have just added gas and reset the "mpg since last refill" automatically, or do I have to tell it to do that?

Thanks!
Old 03-11-13, 10:28 AM
IS350atWOT
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

So, this would mean resetting the "trip screen"? I have navi (not sure how this displays in cars without navi) so there are two screens for fuel consumption: "past record" and "trip information".

Also, once I refill the tank, does the car know that I have just added gas and reset the "mpg since last refill" automatically, or do I have to tell it to do that?

Thanks!
I believe when you clear your average mpg on the center display, it saves that to the past history. So if you want to keep a history of every fill up, you have to clear the average mpg every time you get gas. Note the average mpg is the cumulative counter, not the one that automatically clears every time you fill up.
Old 03-11-13, 11:00 AM
Photios
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IS350atWOT
I believe when you clear your average mpg on the center display, it saves that to the past history. So if you want to keep a history of every fill up, you have to clear the average mpg every time you get gas. Note the average mpg is the cumulative counter, not the one that automatically clears every time you fill up.
I'm sorry, but I'm confused as to where I clear the average mpg...

Can someone identify where the manual explains this? I have searched through it, and still don't have any idea.
Old 03-11-13, 12:05 PM
LEX300h
Driver School Candidate

Quote:

Thanks!
yes the vehicle knows when you re-fill. To clear the mpg. hit didslay on the steering wheel until you see avg mpg. the hold the display button until it clears to 0

Old 03-11-13, 12:39 PM
Photios
Driver School Candidate

yes the vehicle knows when you re-fill. To clear the mpg. hit didslay on the steering wheel until you see avg mpg. the hold the display button until it clears to 0

Ok... I understand now. We're not talking about the Navi screen. Got it.

Thank you!
Old 03-11-13, 05:26 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You can also clear the history of your mpg from the Nav screen. Every time you hit update to the history of the Trip Info screen, it will lock in the mpg since your last update. You can update everyday, every week, or every fill up. But you can clear all saved mpg by hitting the Clear History tab on the Trip info.

I did that once to see what it would do, and I wiped out all the prior updates to the history I saved. This is different from the dash mpg (either avg or "since last fill up"). I think the dash "mpg since last fill up" resets automatically when you release the gas lock since it resets everytime I fill it up.

Have fun playing with it.

Quick Reply: ES300h Gas mileage