Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 6ES forum for discussion about shared components with other sixth generation ES models.
Old 01-07-15, 12:26 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

ES300h Gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-13, 10:19 PM
Photios
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Arty101
You can also clear the history of your mpg from the Nav screen. Every time you hit update to the history of the Trip Info screen, it will lock in the mpg since your last update. You can update everyday, every week, or every fill up. But you can clear all saved mpg by hitting the Clear History tab on the Trip info.

I did that once to see what it would do, and I wiped out all the prior updates to the history I saved. This is different from the dash mpg (either avg or "since last fill up"). I think the dash "mpg since last fill up" resets automatically when you release the gas lock since it resets everytime I fill it up.

Have fun playing with it.
Reset my mpg today, drove about 50 miles around town... avg mpg today... 39.

That seems more like it!

Thanks for everyone's input!
Old 03-12-13, 04:59 AM
LEX300h
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Photios
Reset my mpg today, drove about 50 miles around town... avg mpg today... 39.

That seems more like it!

Thanks for everyone's input!
Good News! I know when I first got my vehicle for some reason the calculations were very low as well. Depending on how many miles the dealer put on your vehicle during the test drive etc, they may have dirven it really hard. Maybe that is why your calculations were low. So moving forward you should be good to go! Enjoy....If you drive very conservative you will get to the point where 39 is actually very low..
Old 03-12-13, 10:55 PM
Photios
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LEX300h
Good News! I know when I first got my vehicle for some reason the calculations were very low as well. Depending on how many miles the dealer put on your vehicle during the test drive etc, they may have dirven it really hard. Maybe that is why your calculations were low. So moving forward you should be good to go! Enjoy....If you drive very conservative you will get to the point where 39 is actually very low..
I'm now up to 40.4 mpg after 160 miles on the current tank. Yes! I sure would love to see 39 as being very low for me! Honestly, how much better can I expect my mileage to increase when the temps are in the 70's? 10 percent better?
Old 03-13-13, 08:05 AM
LEX300h
Driver School Candidate

I'm now up to 40.4 mpg after 160 miles on the current tank. Yes! I sure would love to see 39 as being very low for me! Honestly, how much better can I expect my mileage to increase when the temps are in the 70's? 10 percent better?
I would not be able to speak inteligently referencing that, however I can say now that my wife has learned to drive the vehicle, the last three days on her commute she is averaging 46-47mpg driving very carefuly. I am not sure how she was able to hit 51 MPG one day, the weather was very warm so maybe that contributed to it.
Old 03-13-13, 08:13 AM
Photios
Driver School Candidate

I would not be able to speak inteligently referencing that, however I can say now that my wife has learned to drive the vehicle, the last three days on her commute she is averaging 46-47mpg driving very carefuly. I am not sure how she was able to hit 51 MPG one day, the weather was very warm so maybe that contributed to it.
Wow... that is impressive! Last night, I was "milking" my car up to a light. An SUV behind me was furious, pulled into the oncoming traffic lane, flipped me off, and then went in front of me. I didn't see him, and I didn't think I was really "that bad", however, I will try to be considerate of others. Driving my car has become a game of trying to get the highest mpg possible! Something that I would never have thought possible in my 25+ years of marriage... my wife complaining about me driving too slow!
Old 03-13-13, 08:38 AM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It is a misconception that hybrids, especially Toyota hybrids, have to be driven slowly/gently to get good fuel efficiency. I actually drive quite aggressively (when the ICE is on).

Keep in mind that the car gets is worst FE when the ICE is on, especially when accelerating or driving slowly. On the highway you obviously have not choice but the ES300h does really well on the highway in the low to mid 60mph range.... Once you are out of EV mode, you generally want to get up to cruising speed as quickly as possible.

Last edited by ElliotB; 03-13-13 at 10:41 AM.
Old 03-13-13, 09:29 AM
mrBillFL
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ICE?

internal combustion engine?
Old 03-13-13, 09:38 AM
IS350atWOT
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow... that is impressive! Last night, I was "milking" my car up to a light. An SUV behind me was furious, pulled into the oncoming traffic lane, flipped me off, and then went in front of me. I didn't see him, and I didn't think I was really "that bad", however, I will try to be considerate of others. Driving my car has become a game of trying to get the highest mpg possible! Something that I would never have thought possible in my 25+ years of marriage... my wife complaining about me driving too slow!
People can't stand that we take off slow. It's frustrating to me that if you leave more than 3 or 4 car lengths in front of you during rush hour, they want to cut around and back in front of you! I'm like "where are you going buddy? There's miles of stalled traffic ahead of us!" LOL So many people would get better gas mileage if they avoided jack rabbit starts - in regular or hybrid vehicles.

Back on subject though, I'm getting better gas mileage due to warm weather. I'll get a couple of tanks to see just how much and post back.
Old 03-13-13, 12:50 PM
LEX300h
Driver School Candidate

Quote:

I do the same and care less if people get mad. I am driving the speed limitm

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 03-13-13, 03:43 PM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"ICE? internal combustion engine?" YES
Old 03-15-13, 11:19 AM
Photios
Driver School Candidate

Well, I just did it myself! I hit 51.6 mpg. That is just unbelievable!

...And to think I had a dud car!
Old 03-15-13, 11:41 AM
JerryKK
Driver

I personally think these mileage figures are not real world. For example, last week I filled up my car and since there was no one behind me I drove the four miles to my house at 25 mph and the last mile coasting down a hill - when I pulled into the driveway I had an average of over 70 mpg! Mileage figures of 45 mpg and I guess even 51.6 mpg can be sustained as long as you drive the majority of miles in eco - but that isn't realistic when you have people behind you - unless you are content to drive at 55 on the freeways and 25 in suburbia. Incidentally, my mpg dropped to the mid 30s after I made repeated trips to our fitness center and the grocery store.
Old 03-15-13, 01:20 PM
Slackbus
Driver

I would be very curious to see some comparison vehicle to vehicle. As an example, instant mpg reading at set speeds on a flat road.

Example:
Today I drove (car still cold) at 40mph (60kph) on a flat road in 23F (-5C) weather, and my instant mpg was 23 (9L/100km)
That was with ICE on. Seems low, doesn't it?
Old 03-15-13, 01:26 PM
LEX300h
Driver School Candidate

Quote:

congrats def doable

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 03-15-13, 02:09 PM
IS350atWOT
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Is that 51.6 on a whole tank? Is that what the computer said or did you figure it manually?

Quick Reply: ES300h Gas mileage