Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 6ES forum for discussion about shared components with other sixth generation ES models.
Old 01-07-15, 12:26 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

ES300h Gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-13, 10:54 AM
sigmoid
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that is the answer. I did more testing today - and definitely I still have a lot to learn on how to drive a hybrid. I took the suggestion from Arty101 and started to gun it to get up to speed then coast. I had to drive out to Long Beach Airport this morning and yes, validated that you don't make up anything for the fuel/mpg burned going up the hill. I coasted back down the .8 mi and the mpg didn't budge from 31. I drove out to LGB and gunned it to get up to speed then coasted. Was on the 405 freeway and kept it at 65. Used the little stick on the road back down to PCH then coasted through the canyon. Got to the stop sign before the big hill and the mpg was at 38! Joy. Gunned up the hill, coasted, gunned, coasted, gunned coasted and arrived at the house this time at 37mpg. So its definitely a combination of my learning how to drive this thing and the fuel impact of a big hill that is probably 10% of my average trip time.
Old 03-19-13, 11:22 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Good to hear an improvement in your FE by about 20%. It comes down to your driving style with a hybrid.
Old 03-19-13, 11:50 AM
sigmoid
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Arty101
Good to hear an improvement in your FE by about 20%. It comes down to your driving style with a hybrid.
Thank you for the advice - much appreciated!
Old 03-19-13, 01:53 PM
Photios
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sigmoid
I think that is the answer. I did more testing today - and definitely I still have a lot to learn on how to drive a hybrid. I took the suggestion from Arty101 and started to gun it to get up to speed then coast. I had to drive out to Long Beach Airport this morning and yes, validated that you don't make up anything for the fuel/mpg burned going up the hill. I coasted back down the .8 mi and the mpg didn't budge from 31. I drove out to LGB and gunned it to get up to speed then coasted. Was on the 405 freeway and kept it at 65. Used the little stick on the road back down to PCH then coasted through the canyon. Got to the stop sign before the big hill and the mpg was at 38! Joy. Gunned up the hill, coasted, gunned, coasted, gunned coasted and arrived at the house this time at 37mpg. So its definitely a combination of my learning how to drive this thing and the fuel impact of a big hill that is probably 10% of my average trip time.
Way to go! That's a big difference! I'm constantly experimenting myself, trying to improve. My driving is now all about squeezing mpgs, like a huge game. Some could say that I don't 'relax and just drive' my car... I don't see it that way... I enjoy the competition!
Old 03-19-13, 03:47 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Same here, except with the last fill up I was losing. I'm getting about 38.0, about 1.5 mpg lower. It's all about being conscientious about your driving habits. Nothing new this time around, just wasn't watching as closely.

Signmoid, I'm glad to help and that you're getting better FE with your new driving habits. Keep experimenting, especially like Photios if you want to best your FE.

Art
Old 03-20-13, 09:36 AM
sigmoid
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Arty101
Same here, except with the last fill up I was losing. I'm getting about 38.0, about 1.5 mpg lower. It's all about being conscientious about your driving habits. Nothing new this time around, just wasn't watching as closely.

Signmoid, I'm glad to help and that you're getting better FE with your new driving habits. Keep experimenting, especially like Photios if you want to best your FE.

Art
I like the game concept. Where I get killed is when i get into a rush then i'm driving like I used to drive .. heavy on the pedal
Old 03-20-13, 11:10 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Me too. You can gas it up to speed quickly , but you'll need to let it coast and avoid the stop and go that you were use to.
Old 03-20-13, 11:43 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

FWIW, this is my third hybrid, '06 RX 400h, '10 Prius, now a 300h. The Prius manual had a good explanation of "how to drive", I'll post it here if it helps anyone. I'm getting 42 indicated on the first tank at about 300 miles, so I'm happy. The Prius got an indicated 55 over it's ownership. I just like the technology, not a hyper-miler.
>
Driving efficiently
The Hybrid System Indicator changes in real-time in accordance with
the driving conditions and operation of the accelerator pedal. Driving
that is friendlier to the environment can be achieved by referring to
the display and by driving as follows.
l When accelerating
Accelerate to the desired speed
while depressing the accelerator
pedal slowly and ensuring that
the indicator bar does not
exceed the Eco area. (lower half of the Eco dial on the 300h)

When the desired speed is reached
Release the accelerator pedal
once. Then, depress the accelerator
pedal slowly and drive at a
constant speed, keeping the indicator
bar within the Eco area.
When aiming to improve fuel
economy, try to drive within the
Hybrid Eco area. By doing so,
the drive force of the Electric
motor (Traction motor) will often
be used alone without the need
for fuel consumption, thus allowing
you to enjoy driving with
improved fuel economy.
Old 03-20-13, 11:58 AM
Photios
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jim256
FWIW, this is my third hybrid, '06 RX 400h, '10 Prius, now a 300h. The Prius manual had a good explanation of "how to drive", I'll post it here if it helps anyone. I'm getting 42 indicated on the first tank at about 300 miles, so I'm happy. The Prius got an indicated 55 over it's ownership. I just like the technology, not a hyper-miler.
Jim,

Thank you for posting that. I'm curious how you like the 300h as opposed to the Prius.
Old 03-21-13, 05:50 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Photios
Jim,

Thank you for posting that. I'm curious how you like the 300h as opposed to the Prius.
Lexus delivers what it promises, really no comparison.
Old 03-26-13, 01:58 PM
Slackbus
Driver

After driving to and from Toronto to Boston (562mi each way) on freeways, I averaged 37mpg. I was driving 75mph the whole way, mostly on cruise control.
That seems like its pretty much hitting the target to me, considering I was going faster than any testing would have been.
Seems pretty obvious that any problems that I have in my daily commute hitting the high numbers is pretty much terrain and driving habits.
Old 03-27-13, 06:37 AM
Ronman15
Driver School Candidate

I read the same quote....on the Camry platform ......Avalon platform, right?
Old 03-27-13, 09:38 AM
Fly4u
Banned

I'm averaging 41.5 so far with nearly 1K miles on the odo, and daily efficiency seems to have improved the last few hundred.... some daily jaunts are 43MPG. Freeway driving, though is restricted to 65MPH...... you'll take an almost exponential hit as speed increases.
Old 03-27-13, 03:00 PM
Ronman15
Driver School Candidate

I was reading lexuslou's post about ways to improve your mpg, I've been reading all of the post and they have been helpful. Lexuslou wrote something about you should forget your pedals and coast to a stop, the electric motor will assist in your stoping. My question is "if you switch you tranny over and down shift to assist in slowing down to a stop, will that help or hurt with mpg" thanks.
Old 03-27-13, 05:48 PM
Fly4u
Banned

Originally Posted by Ronman15
I was reading lexuslou's post about ways to improve your mpg, I've been reading all of the post and they have been helpful. Lexuslou wrote something about you should forget your pedals and coast to a stop, the electric motor will assist in your stoping. My question is "if you switch you tranny over and down shift to assist in slowing down to a stop, will that help or hurt with mpg" thanks.
AFAIK the most efficient way to stop is to let the vehicle coast. Unfortunately that may not be possible due to traffic; hypermiling can royally **** off those behind. A very gentle application of brake engages the regenerative system without use of the conventional hydraulic disc brakes. You are thus converting the energy of speed into electrical power returned to the hybrid battery. A simple guide to this is the "power meter" needle to the left of the speedometer while in econ or normal modes. Note the position of the needle (roughly the 9 'o clock point) while idling - the needle moves counterclockwise when the brake pedal is pushed. Careful planning of braking can rely almost completely on regenerating current, one reason hybrid brakes can last 100K miles or more.

Quick Reply: ES300h Gas mileage