Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 6ES forum for discussion about shared components with other sixth generation ES models.
Old 01-07-15, 12:26 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

ES300h Gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-13, 07:10 PM
jollick
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by ElliotB
Jollick, how full are you filling your car each time you fill up?

I typically stop when the car seems full, adding just a little bit after the first 'click' but for two tanks, decided to really fill 'er up all the way. And in both cases, I was able to add 1 to 1 1/2 additional gallons. Which when calculating manually, would make a difference in manual calculations.

I am not saying the on-board computer is 100% accurate but I find in general it is is, and like I said, it often corresponds to my Scan Gauge.
Elliot, I always stop on the 3rd click off of the pump, and I usually go to the same gas station.
Old 05-02-13, 03:13 AM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is typically what I do. But as I discovered, there is more room in the tank after that. (I always was filling on empty and v and found I was always putting in around 16 gallons on a 17 gallon on tank. I also noticed I was unable to hit 700 mile tanks and based on my average FE, I should have (anything over 41 mpg with 17 gallons of gas should yield a 700+ mile tank - I was falling short every tank and exceeding over 41mpg on every tank ) . So I figured it was either not truly empty or not being filled all the way. After force filling the tank a couple of times, I realized the tank was not really full.

Last edited by ElliotB; 05-02-13 at 03:17 AM.
Old 05-02-13, 06:01 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 665 Likes on 497 Posts

Does the 300 have the same issue as the 350, where the miles left reads 0, when there's still 2 gallons in the tank?
Old 05-02-13, 06:26 AM
IS350atWOT
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

That is typically what I do. But as I discovered, there is more room in the tank after that. (I always was filling on empty and v and found I was always putting in around 16 gallons on a 17 gallon on tank. I also noticed I was unable to hit 700 mile tanks and based on my average FE, I should have (anything over 41 mpg with 17 gallons of gas should yield a 700+ mile tank - I was falling short every tank and exceeding over 41mpg on every tank ) . So I figured it was either not truly empty or not being filled all the way. After force filling the tank a couple of times, I realized the tank was not really full.
I heard topping off the tank after the pump clicks off is bad. That basically the tank needs a little "breathing room". Is this just a myth? Or are our hybrids different?
Old 05-02-13, 07:02 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350atWOT
I heard topping off the tank after the pump clicks off is bad. That basically the tank needs a little "breathing room". Is this just a myth? Or are our hybrids different?
True, you can cause raw fuel to enter the evaporative control system. From the manual:
●Stop filling the tank after the fuel nozzle automatically clicks off.
●Do not top off the fuel tank.
Old 05-06-13, 07:34 AM
mkhart
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mileage display

Originally Posted by jollick
When posting fuel mileage it would help if we display what the car display stated and what we actually calculate. I find my ES300h typically reports about 2.5 mpg higher than it actually got on a full tank of gas.
I did a mileage check while taking a 200 mile drive and found that I was losing one mile on my odometer/display for every 50 that I traveled. I just happened to be going in for a service at my Lexus dealer and told the rep about this. He told me that it has to do with the condition of your tires. Newer tires will show less miles traveled and older, worn tires will show more miles traveled than what shows on your odometer/display. Since my tires are new (of course), I always add on another mile for every 50 that I travel when estimating mileage, at least for now. It made a difference in my mileage calculations. I will re-check as I get more miles on my tires.
Old 05-06-13, 05:40 PM
Neoxagon
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The reason for the discrepancy is because you can easily add 1 gallon or more after the tank appears really full. It is difficult to fill the tank on this vehicle to the exact same level at each fill which is the only way to get a truly accurate calculation.

I have found the on board computer to be quite accurate, and more often than not has the same MPG as my Scan Gauge.
I don't use the click to manually calculate MPG. I use my receipt and always reset my trip meter to zero at the pump.

Your receipt tells you exactly how much gas you put in. Your trip meter tells you how many miles you traveled consuming that amount of gas.

Seems like pretty accurate methodology.

Last edited by Neoxagon; 05-06-13 at 05:43 PM.
Old 05-06-13, 06:22 PM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"Seems like pretty accurate methodology." Yes it does, IF you were filling the fuel tank to the exact same level each time. Which is unlikely.
Old 05-16-13, 04:16 PM
akdiver14
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus ES 300H, gas after 11 k miles, not near stated 40/39

We have had our 2013 Leuxs ES 300H since mid Oct 2012, we are finding that the stated 40 city and 39 highway mileage is not achievable! After driving 11 K miles our overall AVERAGE is aprox 32 to 35 miles, we have recently voiced our concerns to the dealer. We are wondering what other drivers are getting in their numbers? Anxiously awaiting what others are getting, thanks.
Old 05-16-13, 09:37 PM
massalsa
Driver School Candidate

I am getting 40.5. Higher when not driving over 75 on interstate. With the right combo of non interstate but still 55 moh highway and some 35-45 mph side streets I have gotten as high as 45. Read other posts about how to get higher mph. Have not needed AC yet either.
Old 05-17-13, 06:52 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by akdiver14
We have had our 2013 Leuxs ES 300H since mid Oct 2012, we are finding that the stated 40 city and 39 highway mileage is not achievable! After driving 11 K miles our overall AVERAGE is aprox 32 to 35 miles, we have recently voiced our concerns to the dealer. We are wondering what other drivers are getting in their numbers? Anxiously awaiting what others are getting, thanks.
Consistently 42-44 in small town/4 lane mixed driving. For comparison, the '10 Prius we had got 55 over a 3 1/2 year ownership. It's driving style and understanding how to get the most from a hybrid.
Old 05-17-13, 06:57 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by akdiver14
I have had my 2013 ES300h since the beginning of January and I am averaging between 36 and 37 calculated MPG, the car states I am getting an average of 38.5 MPG. I believe this is great mileage for a car this size, better than the HS250h I had for 3 years and this is larger and more powerful. I do not try hard to get good mileage but always coast when I see a red light ahead. I mostly stay in ECO mode but do use Sport once in a while. No highway driving yet. 70% stop and go and the rest at 45 to 50 MPH.
Old 05-17-13, 11:32 AM
Photios
Driver School Candidate

I have had my 300h since mid-February. My average up until about mid April was around 36. Since that time, I have changed to sport mode specifically and I'm averaging around 39. I'm wondering if the change in gas formulations has something to do with this as well. I don't know when the refineries start to make adjustments with the changing temperatures. I live in Seattle.

Anyway, whatever the reason, I am very pleased!
Old 05-17-13, 12:56 PM
Chardo
Driver School Candidate

Had my ES300h for 4.5 months, 3200 miles (mostly local suburban, usually no passengers, empty trunk, normal mode). Latest fill-up today netted 32 MPG (manually calculated), which is consistent with previous couple of tanks. Engine is broken in, cold weather is over, and I have been using the usual hybrid driving techniques. Why am I still getting nowhere near 40?

Last edited by Chardo; 05-17-13 at 01:01 PM.
Old 05-17-13, 09:25 PM
cfpb
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

chardo,

Try driving in sport mode, getting up to 30-35 mph quickly and stepping off the gas. That will usually cause the car to go into ev mode and then you can cruise at that speed mostly in ev mode by staying light on the accelerator. I've been doing that for the last several tanks and have been getting my best mileage driving that way in the city. I have also used sport mode on the highway and it gets me as good or better mileage than eco or normal. Best Highway speed I have found is 70 mph.

Quick Reply: ES300h Gas mileage