Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

After 3 years: 3 issues w/rx450h

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-12, 06:19 AM
Hal56
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After 3 years: 3 issues w/rx450h

1) tire pressure monitoring system-one tire shows high-but since the readout does not tell you which tire you have to check all four I did and the hand held tire pressure device says all 4 are the same

2) the power plug in center console--if something comes undone or the extension falls back to the bottom you basically have to stop car and get out , pull out holders and dive in to get everything back-pain in neck for phone charger and ipod wire.

3) second drivers fob-works to start car but does not retain memory for seat. Dealer's only fix is new battery

other than those issues great car----
Old 11-29-12, 07:54 AM
RogersDA
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Hal56
1) tire pressure monitoring system-one tire shows high-but since the readout does not tell you which tire you have to check all four I did and the hand held tire pressure device says all 4 are the same
Yeah - being wireless sensors coupled with the fact that the tires can be rotated during maintenance there would be no way (without some additional sensors to poll the axle to which the tire is mounted) for the car to know which tire/sensor is having an issue.
Old 11-29-12, 09:41 AM
cossie1600
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On #3, the key just wasn't programmed properly. You got screwed out of a new battery. You have to save the setting, then hold the setting button and the lock or unlock button with the second key in i
Old 11-29-12, 11:48 AM
cafpaf
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RodergsDA, I hope I am not misunderstanding your statement. Please know that for years GM tire pressure monitoring system not only lets you know which tire is low but the pressure. It also tell you the pressure for each tire individually. When the tires are rotated, the sensors are easily reset to the new location. The tire pressure is also one of the items shown on the monthly OnStar report that is sent to the owner if they subscribe to the service. We like our 2011 RX but as I have said before, they could take a lesson from GM on several things including the TPMS system, the location and control of the heated and ventilated seats, and the OnStar system vs the Safety Connect system just to name a few that stand out in my mind.
Old 11-29-12, 11:54 AM
RogersDA
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cafpaf
RodergsDA, I hope I am not misunderstanding your statement. Please know that for years GM tire pressure monitoring system not only lets you know which tire is low but the pressure. It also tell you the pressure for each tire individually. When the tires are rotated, the sensors are easily reset to the new location. The tire pressure is also one of the items shown on the monthly OnStar report that is sent to the owner if they subscribe to the service. We like our 2011 RX but as I have said before, they could take a lesson from GM on several things including the TPMS system, the location and control of the heated and ventilated seats, and the OnStar system vs the Safety Connect system just to name a few that stand out in my mind.
From the manual:

I guess Lexus has not bothered with trying to implement the capability to track sensor location. Like you said - it has been done and it is not hard to do.
Old 11-29-12, 12:24 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Just asking...doesn't the car learn seat position and the associated fob. Not the fob learning seat position?
Old 11-29-12, 12:36 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Bad sensor?

2) the power plug in center console--if something comes undone or the extension falls back to the bottom you basically have to stop car and get out , pull out holders and dive in to get everything back-pain in neck for phone charger and ipod wire.
Duct Tape?
Old 11-29-12, 02:01 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Mine's never come out, you may have a bad plug. My droid charger is plugged in there.
Originally Posted by DunWkg
Bad sensor?

Duct Tape?
Old 11-29-12, 08:12 PM
Hal56
Pole Position

Hi folks:

I have a '99 vette with the Tire monitoring system--always shows position-

On the console, sometimes the plug comes out-nasty when I need to recharge phone. Sometimes the cords retract right to the bottom--also a pain in the butt.

On the FOB my wife and I cannot figure it out. Its her car so I drive using my fob. On a typical day out, about half the time it remembers my seat position-and the other half it changes to her seat position. I have no clue why.

Jim-(Cruizer) -I have not been here in a while but my wife and I still argue over mileage on the 450h--she gets 22-23 and I get 29-31. The kids (adult) understand. My wife does jackrabbit starts and waits till last minute to brake for a lite or stop sign-been this way for years.

Her car also has been dinged up and scratched--why--she does not know how to park in a lot--always on angel in spot or not centered--yes-she is the one who will park right next to drivers door of car next to her.

But it is something we cannot discuss in house.

The side story is that in 1999 I wanted her to get the RX and she wanted the explorer. This time we got the RX and she loves it.

Makes married life simpler.
Old 11-29-12, 08:29 PM
Hal56
Pole Position

By the way-I also have a BMW with a Tire monitoring system and run flat low profile tires.

This system on a 2008, only tells you if a tire has low pressure. You have to get out and figure out which tire it is and its difficult to do it by looking at tire since they are low profile.

I did not have a tire pressure thing a ma jig so I drove home and found out the tire pressure warning went off when pressure got to 28 pounds--hardly dangerous.

And frankly, I had several problems with my BMW which each took months and many trips in to get resolved. And the RX450h has had a few problems and the dealer is behind the curve on that too.

So I am less than totally impressed with BMW and Lexus service (but the free car washes and saturday treats are always good).
Old 11-30-12, 11:18 AM
cafpaf
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RodgersDA, Thanks for the bit from the manual. However, most of us do not have a hybrid and some of us, like me, do not have the nav system. So....we are unable to tell which tire may be low once the indication appears. It is just my opinion, but there are much better systems out there and Lexus should have something better.
Old 11-30-12, 12:00 PM
oceanexprt
Driver School Candidate

my 2005 honda pilot was able to tell me which tire was flat even after numerous rotations. i am disappointed that my 2008 gs350 and my 2013 rx350 does not do the same.
Old 11-30-12, 09:00 PM
BobBass
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Typical - Toyota always seems behind on the latest electronic gadgetry. But, when it comes to reliability...
Old 12-01-12, 06:31 AM
cossie1600
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I cant believe you guys are so lazy. You can't look at the tire to tell if it is flat? Geez
Old 12-03-12, 05:00 AM
Hal56
Pole Position

it's not a flat tire issue: first the TPM shows different tire pressures for each tire, second you do not know which tire(s) it is and third, when I use the hand held tire pressure gauge--and I have 3 of them--the 3 hand helds show a) the same for each tire and b) the tire pressure per gauge is 2-4 pounds below what shows on the system.