Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Coolant replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-13, 10:25 PM
kknguyen11
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Coolant replacement

hi

anybody have procedure how to change inverter and radiator coolant replacement.

thanks all

V/r

Khoi nguyen
Old 03-30-13, 10:59 PM
katzjamr
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the radiator can be drained and refilled and of course use the Toyota long life pink that came with the vehicle, I believe the same fluid is used in the inverter however the cooling systems are separate, when you drain the radiator the hybrid cooling fluids are not affected. I just had a new radiator put in my 400h and that process was pretty straightforward, I would not have anyone but a lexus or Toyota technician work on the hybrid system, the parts are expensive to replace if you make a mistake, just my two cents.
Old 03-31-13, 09:26 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Yes getting the fluid circulated in the inverter requires Toyota scan tool...
Old 03-31-13, 02:39 PM
kknguyen11
Rookie

hi all

you do not need scan tool to do it, I have procedure how to do them. but I can find where to upload these files, anybody want please let me know I will send them to you via email.

V/r

Khoi nguyen
The following users liked this post:
Aldosalong (01-04-21)
Old 04-01-13, 09:39 AM
kknguyen11
Rookie

Default invert coolant change for 2008 rx400h

hi all

this is what I got

V/r

Khoi Nguyen
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Engine Coolant rx400h.pdf (131.8 KB, 4596 views)
File Type: pdf
Hybrid Coolant rx400h.pdf (202.6 KB, 4497 views)
Old 04-01-13, 08:30 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

thank you for that info on the inverter coolant change....
Old 04-01-13, 08:37 PM
kknguyen11
Rookie

Thomas1

You are welcome, are we tried to save that all we can

V/r

Khoi Nguyen
Old 07-09-13, 09:49 PM
Putlurs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inverter and radiator coolant cost.

How much will it cost approximately to replace inverter and radiator coolant at a Lexus dealership or is it better to go with Toyota. I have a 2006 Rx 400h.

thank you

Pradeep
Old 07-10-13, 01:02 PM
maseace
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It varies from dealer to dealer, so call your local dealers. Generally Toyota will cost less than Lexus dealers, and they both use the same coolant (Toyota Super Long Life).
Old 03-13-15, 04:51 PM
jooksing82
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Talking

About to change the coolant based on the files provided. It took me forever to find the Cylinder block plugs and some of the valves. But I got sidetracked today so will perform the change tomorrow. This is my first coolant change for this car and learning as I go. Thought I would share some photos.

The Toyota super long life, the color is pink, but the top of the bottle is yellow.. (i went on a wild goose chase for yellow coolant...$23 at Toyota, $32 at lexus dealer
I bought 4 gallons! 1gal for the hybrid and 2.5gal for the engine

For the hybrid coolant

From the front of the RX400h

Looking up through the hole you will find the Bottom Bleeder plug

I think this is the plug and gasket.. it takes a 10mm hex to remove it..

Needed to run to the store to get this.

Top bleeder plug next to the horn.

For the engine coolant

I had trouble finding the cylinder block drain plugs.
There are two..

The front one is next to the oil filter, Slightly behind the heat shield.

The second one is behind the engine, Here iff you turn the front wheels the the left. then look into the wheel well.

Look closely

I think I will access it from under the car, Behind the engine, Its hiding behind this.

Sticking my camera in the cavity I located the darn thing.
Old 03-13-15, 10:59 PM
smassey321
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks for posting pics. I am also doing all the coolant this weekend. Let me know if you able to get to the rear drain via the wheel well. I am also changing the radiator as I have a tiny leak on the drivers side end tank seam. I wanted to do the thermostat but that is so buried under the inverter it looks like a pain.
Old 03-14-15, 07:17 AM
jooksing82
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by smassey321
Thanks for posting pics. I am also doing all the coolant this weekend. Let me know if you able to get to the rear drain via the wheel well. I am also changing the radiator as I have a tiny leak on the drivers side end tank seam. I wanted to do the thermostat but that is so buried under the inverter it looks like a pain.

I might re-upload the pics with the items circled. I might be able to get it from the wheel well since I am rotating the tires. If not I think the best method is reaching it from under the vehicle. Reaching it with out seeing it. But locating first would be the trick, from the image I though both was on the front of the engine./
Old 03-15-15, 09:17 AM
smassey321
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jooksing82
I might re-upload the pics with the items circled. I might be able to get it from the wheel well since I am rotating the tires. If not I think the best method is reaching it from under the vehicle. Reaching it with out seeing it. But locating first would be the trick, from the image I though both was on the front of the engine./
No need for a new pic. I see it behind the timing belt tensioner. I was just there last fall fixing that. It looks easy to get to by removing the wheel.
Old 03-15-15, 07:48 PM
jooksing82
Pit Crew

Job is complete! You are right, With the wheel removed it was easy to get to. Much better than going under a vehicle when you don't have to.
Quick notes/tips.
1.Those plastic cover tabs are "push in the center" then remove.. I tried to pull the center out with pliers and ended up breaking a couple of them.

2.For the Hybrid coolant I used about 0.6 gallons of coolant. For the Gas engine It was a little past two gallons. Even spilling some I used less than 3 gallons.

3. When using a funnel to pour into the radiator for the gas engine, press down a little on the funnel to create a light seal at the throat of the opening. The coolant flows very slow into the radiator and quickly backs out the opening. By pressing lightly on the funnel it allows the coolant to stay in the funnel while it slowly seeps in.

4. The drain valves on the radiator are plastic, and it took about 8-10 half turns before it starts draining, at 13-14 half turns the drain valve will fall off.

5. I got the pressure tester loaned for free from the auto parts store. I turned my cabin heat to full max to force the gas engine to run so it would bring it to temp. It seems like the pressure slowly drop on the tester but did not find any leaks. I wonder if it is because the engine was cooling off?

6.About the using the special expensive Toyota Super long life. MSDS http://www dot worldpac dot com/tagged/Antifreeze-Coolant_00272SLLC2.pdf
and from a Corolla manual...
“Toyota Super Long Life Coolant”
or similar high quality ethylene
glycol based non-silicate, nonamine,
non-nitrite and non-borate
coolant with long-life hybrid
organic acid technology.
For the U.S.A.:
“Toyota Super Long Life
Coolant” is pre-mixed with 50%
coolant and 50% deionized
water.
For Canada:
“Toyota Super Long Life
Coolant” is pre-mixed with 55%
coolant and 45% deionized
water.

Last edited by jooksing82; 03-15-15 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Added more info
Old 03-29-15, 11:13 AM
smassey321
Lead Lap

I did both coolants along with a new radiator. Used 4.2 gal of coolant. Lots came out of the radiator after I turned it sideways.

Quick Reply: Coolant replacement