Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 3GS forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation GS models.

Engine light is on - Crank + misfire

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-13, 06:44 PM
twleung
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine light is on - Crank + misfire

Hi CL,

I just bought a 2007 450h with 84,000kms

Here are the codes:
P0016,P0017,P0300,P0301,P0303,P0305

Has anyone ever had this problem?? Is this a major issue? Car seems to run fine except at full stop I feed a slight clunk right before full stop.

Also attached are the diagnosis from Lexus, said the fix will cost 800$ a timing chain is loose one tooth service rep said.

Last edited by twleung; 10-01-13 at 02:51 PM.
Old 05-14-13, 10:23 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 770 Likes on 664 Posts

If the timing has jumped, you def need to fix it asap. But you dont have to take it to the dealer, any reputable shop can fix it for less. $800 to realign the timing seems like a lot. Have you tried calling toyota to see how much they would charge?

Did you ask them why the cam chain is loose? Did the cam tensioner fail?
Old 05-15-13, 09:38 AM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

Your timing chain did not "jump" it cant Jump without setting off a million sensors throwing the car into limp mode. The timing chain is loose? What kind of BS is that. I would have called the SA out on feeding you BS.

If that is the case. When the car had its Valve recall done. The mechanic F'd up. Find out through the Lexus website "My Lexus" the cars history. Something is definitely not right with that. If work was done at the dealership you are at now. Take it to another. These guys will not admit one of their techs screwed up.

You sure can take it anywhere to get fixed. Make sure to take a picture of the look on the mechanics face at "Joe's Garage" when he pops your hood.
Old 05-15-13, 11:13 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by neurocity
Your timing chain did not "jump" it cant Jump without setting off a million sensors throwing the car into limp mode. The timing chain is loose? What kind of BS is that. I would have called the SA out on feeding you BS.

If that is the case. When the car had its Valve recall done. The mechanic F'd up. Find out through the Lexus website "My Lexus" the cars history. Something is definitely not right with that. If work was done at the dealership you are at now. Take it to another. These guys will not admit one of their techs screwed up.

You sure can take it anywhere to get fixed. Make sure to take a picture of the look on the mechanics face at "Joe's Garage" when he pops your hood.
Priceless

I don't think many people can work on a GS hybrid I know I had trouble here in Boston trying to get someone to look at it. Lexus knows what they are doing and I also agree there are way to many sensors in there that i doubt it jumped up. I'd take to another dealership and see what they say. Also this isn't certified under Lexus, if so just get the work done by the dealership.
Old 05-16-13, 10:36 AM
twleung
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the input. Third day now without my car and without a loaner, I'm easy going with that but when it comes to money I get a little irritated.

Okay so the first 2 codes are fix apparently from the chain being fixed, after they put it back together car felt better as they say, BUT the misfire codes popped right back up.. I'm no mechanic but from what I read this may be the same thing as other owners are dealing with with the misfire recall.

What can I do? What should I do? Bring to another dealer and pay for another diagnose and same thing again and not have a car for x amount of days?
Old 05-16-13, 09:05 PM
morganc
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Priceless

I don't think many people can work on a GS hybrid I know I had trouble here in Boston trying to get someone to look at it. Lexus knows what they are doing and I also agree there are way to many sensors in there that i doubt it jumped up. I'd take to another dealership and see what they say. Also this isn't certified under Lexus, if so just get the work done by the dealership.
Don't instill too much trust with Lexus. When I had my valve recall done, they screwed up and I lost a rocker arm while driving. It scrapped the engine and I'm still fighting (out of pocket) two years later with them...
Old 05-16-13, 09:11 PM
morganc
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by twleung
Thanks for the input. Third day now without my car and without a loaner, I'm easy going with that but when it comes to money I get a little irritated.

Okay so the first 2 codes are fix apparently from the chain being fixed, after they put it back together car felt better as they say, BUT the misfire codes popped right back up.. I'm no mechanic but from what I read this may be the same thing as other owners are dealing with with the misfire recall.

What can I do? What should I do? Bring to another dealer and pay for another diagnose and same thing again and not have a car for x amount of days?
Hey, you can follow a whole bunch of the threads I've posted. I had a complete engine rebuild done on my 450h after Lexus screwed up my valve recall. The problem is that now I get misfires, but NO associated codes. I have had the timing checked and I have troubleshot everything. It's now a mystery. Usually, the P030# codes are caused by something that throws another code. You always correct the non-P030# codes first, clear the code history and more often than not, it fixes itself.

Not having any associated codes (like me) makes this hard. I have been through the whole 450h diagnostic flow chart for the P030# codes except for "REPLACE ECU". SImilarly, the dealer can check your fuel trims during operation and they can maybe narrow down the problem. PM me your email address and I'll send you the flow chart.

Unfortunately, our engines match the symptoms of the other recalls, but my "new" engine only has 2500miles on it, so that eliminates carbon/blow-by theories.

**Disclaimer: it's been to 3 different lexus dealers ("don't waste our time") and an independent lexus master/hybrid mechanic. No one can figure it out perhaps this is some kind of problem that we are now discovering since the 07 450h's are now getting higher up in mileage

Last edited by morganc; 05-16-13 at 09:15 PM.
Old 05-27-13, 08:03 AM
sonnyhood
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by morganc
Hey, you can follow a whole bunch of the threads I've posted. I had a complete engine rebuild done on my 450h after Lexus screwed up my valve recall. The problem is that now I get misfires, but NO associated codes. I have had the timing checked and I have troubleshot everything. It's now a mystery. Usually, the P030# codes are caused by something that throws another code. You always correct the non-P030# codes first, clear the code history and more often than not, it fixes itself.
Ive seen similar symptons on other cars. And the solution was dirty or faulty sensors. As KMs go up oxygen sensors can cause havoc. IF the o2 sensor reads it too rich then it retards the timing causing it to ping, and that makes the cyl move higher in the head. When this happens the ECU detects it as a misfire. Which is the end result not the cause. And very often people spend alot of time looking at heads and timing. Have your sensors been tested? cleaned or replaced? There are dozens in these cars no doubt each very precise.
http://www.obd-codes.com/p0305

You might like to invest in the OBDII tool, lets you view live data on your smartphone and clear codes. You can see ECU data in real time and analyse whats going on. Invaluable to diagnose problems. I think it was under a $100
http://engine-codes.com/p0017_lexus.html
This also mentions VVT sensor poor contact. again a sensor.

Would like to know more about that issue morganc cause ive seen engine whisperes at work and its always a sensor or an auxiliary thing that fails causing problems for something else.
Fuel/injectors/coilpacks/sensors. where are you at with yours.
Old 05-28-13, 08:19 AM
morganc
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by sonnyhood
Ive seen similar symptons on other cars. And the solution was dirty or faulty sensors. As KMs go up oxygen sensors can cause havoc. IF the o2 sensor reads it too rich then it retards the timing causing it to ping, and that makes the cyl move higher in the head. When this happens the ECU detects it as a misfire. Which is the end result not the cause. And very often people spend alot of time looking at heads and timing. Have your sensors been tested? cleaned or replaced? There are dozens in these cars no doubt each very precise.

You might like to invest in the OBDII tool, lets you view live data on your smartphone and clear codes. You can see ECU data in real time and analyse whats going on. Invaluable to diagnose problems. I think it was under a $100

Would like to know more about that issue morganc cause ive seen engine whisperes at work and its always a sensor or an auxiliary thing that fails causing problems for something else.
Hey, I own a semi-intelligent Toyota/Lexus scan tool which allows me to view the actual data coming from each and every sensor on this car. BTW, our cars have 4 O2 sensors, not a dozen. I also own the service manuals, and I've been up-and-down these things side-by-side with the dealers/technicians.

For the most part, O2 sensors are self diagnosing. They are reading right within lexus spec at the appropriate times (along with every other sensor on this car). Sensor/plug/coil/injector swaps have also been done to see if the problems propagate, and they don't.

I have also manually disassembled both fuel systems and cleaned them from head-to-toe. When I say that *everything* has been done except ECU, I mean it!

Last edited by morganc; 05-28-13 at 08:22 AM.
Old 05-28-13, 12:43 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

twleung, i bring my GS450h to regency lexus for maintenance as well. regency lexus is considered one of the top lexus dealerships in vancouver, because they have more master techs there than any other location. you can bring your GS450h to richmond lexus and see what they have to say.
Old 07-04-13, 05:26 PM
twleung
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sonnyhood

Been so busy with work I haven't had time to update this thread.

So the master tech at regency said I will need 3 new injectors a lot $$$ a injector. They moved the 3 injectors from one bank to the other bank and the codes popped up the other side. Does anyone think due to the recall on the valve springs (someone at lexus messed up the timing and the chain jumped a tooth) has caused all these problems or injectors just didn't last in my particular car?

2007 gs450h 85xxx KMs currently getting around 12-13L per 100kms.

Will replacing the injector erase my nightmare away? More power and better gas mileage too 50% better all around?
Old 07-08-13, 07:51 AM
morganc
Pit Crew

Been so busy with work I haven't had time to update this thread.

So the master tech at regency said I will need 3 new injectors a lot $$$ a injector. They moved the 3 injectors from one bank to the other bank and the codes popped up the other side. Does anyone think due to the recall on the valve springs (someone at lexus messed up the timing and the chain jumped a tooth) has caused all these problems or injectors just didn't last in my particular car?

2007 gs450h 85xxx KMs currently getting around 12-13L per 100kms.

Will replacing the injector erase my nightmare away? More power and better gas mileage too 50% better all around?
Sorry! I should've uploaded this sooner. DON'T DO THE INJECTORS. When you get multiple misfire codes, the service manual stipulates that you fix all non-P030## codes first. Ie, your P0016 and 17 codes. Take a look at the PDF.

The Position of the timing chain alignment marks was issued as a TSB because they are horrendously cryptic and many lexus dealers were messing them up (it's not as cut and dried as a Chevy 5.7L!). I would assume that your belt hasn't "Jumped" a tooth; they just didn't align it correctly.

I had mine inspected and I have ample photos of the alignment marks with the covers open as well as the TSB print out. Sad thing is that the cams have to be unbolted to fix it.

The reason why you don't notice it at speed is because VVT is able to adjust up to 40 degrees or something crazy like that. If it notices that this is outside of a certain range for too long off factory default, then it throws the synchronization codes you have above.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
LexusTechDoc.pdf (44.6 KB, 2704 views)
Old 07-12-13, 12:30 AM
twleung
Driver School Candidate

So what your saying is Lexus did screw up?! Also what is TSB

The chain problem has been fixed but I think it is now off a tooth again because the misfiring codes popped up right away after $1000 bill from last time. Forgot to post the result of that service. They told me took about 9 hours to do the chain job and had my car for 3 days without a loaner. Fine I gave them a chance, who else would I go to if it is regularly serviced at that dealer.
Old 07-12-13, 12:34 AM
twleung
Driver School Candidate

Please let me know what I should be doing to get this annoying problem with no explanation, and how it started in the first place.
Old 07-18-13, 09:09 AM
morganc
Pit Crew

So what your saying is Lexus did screw up?! Also what is TSB

The chain problem has been fixed but I think it is now off a tooth again because the misfiring codes popped up right away after $1000 bill from last time. Forgot to post the result of that service. They told me took about 9 hours to do the chain job and had my car for 3 days without a loaner. Fine I gave them a chance, who else would I go to if it is regularly serviced at that dealer.
Take it back and don't pay them a dime. Similarly, demand that they take photos of the cam timing to prove that it is a-ok.

The TSB is: SB0091-08R

Quick Reply: Engine light is on - Crank + misfire