Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

EV Mode

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-13, 06:52 AM
robartin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EV Mode

Seems to me that Lexus kind of missed the boat on EV mode. There seem to be a number of issues with it that keep it from being very useful. This is based on my experience with the 2012 model year.
  1. It is speed-limited to 25 MPH, when under normal driving conditions the 450 can do 40+ in electric only mode.
  2. Enabling it requires navigating through menus, which takes your eyes off the road and is not possible while turning.
  3. The car often refuses to enter EV mode with a cryptic message saying "EV Mode is Not Available".
I've found it to be a frustrating feature that could be more useful if it was implemented better. Here's how I would improve it:
  1. Push-button operation, just a single EV button on the steering wheel or the center console. Push once to turn it on and again to turn it off.
  2. Speed limiting should follow the same rules the car does in hybrid mode. I should be able to hit about 40 MPH if I am light on the pedal. This would make it usable on regular roads instead of just parking lots and driveways.
  3. The car should not refuse to enter EV mode, especially at times that I could manually drive the car as an EV (by keeping the needle in the lower half of green). If it does refuse to enter EV mode, there should be a brief explanation as to why.

What I do like about EV mode is that it allows you to get into the upper half of the green zone on the eco meter and still drive in electric-only mode. This is especially useful on hills or when I want a little extra acceleration.

Any similar experiences? I'd love to use EV mode more, because it is helpful for boosting mileage, but it's too frustrating in its current form.

Last edited by robartin; 06-24-13 at 06:58 AM.
Old 06-24-13, 09:28 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

I agree with everything you have said, except the part about push button operation on the console. Mine has exactly that. Maybe it was implemented on the RX for the first time on the '13, but I've seen it on other models prior to the '13.
Old 06-24-13, 07:36 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 564 Likes on 398 Posts

There is only 1 situation where the EV mode has value, and that is to mention it on the brochure, so the prospective buyer can think, "oh, cool". I played with the EV mode for the first week or two I had mine, it is useless. It's much easier to coax the RXh into EV with driving style. The biggest laugh I had was one time I tried to engage EV mode while the vehicle was operating on electric power only, and it refused.
Old 06-25-13, 03:04 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Andy, I'm in total agreement. I guess the engineers had something in mind when the put the feature on there. Maybe it was just for advertisement? Who knows but like you, I have areas on the way home that if I keep it under 40 I'll generally cover two or three miles on batteries only w/o changing anything but driving style.
Originally Posted by Droid13
There is only 1 situation where the EV mode has value, and that is to mention it on the brochure, so the prospective buyer can think, "oh, cool". I played with the EV mode for the first week or two I had mine, it is useless. It's much easier to coax the RXh into EV with driving style. The biggest laugh I had was one time I tried to engage EV mode while the vehicle was operating on electric power only, and it refused.
Old 06-25-13, 04:36 AM
BertL
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm in the "don't use EV mode" camp as well. Tried it once after I took delivery of my 2013, and just dust the button without pushing it, every week since. I also consider EV as a marketing benefit, or perhaps it is there as part of some thing that helps Toyota/Lexus meet EPA requirements. Even if it did work as the OP suggested, I don't want to be bothered trying to manually optimize and tinker with my ride while I'm driving. One of the best things I've enjoyed with my Lexus Hybrids since 1995 is that they "just work", trying to continuously optimize themselves based on my driving style at the moment. I likely wouldn't use EV unless it became more a part of that automation.
Old 06-25-13, 10:07 AM
robartin
Driver School Candidate

The one advantage EV mode has is that it can get up into that upper half of the green meter range still in electric. Without it, the car will always switch over to ICE in the upper half. Maybe they should just incorporate that into ECO mode and get rid of EV mode. Then the car could manage it more automatically based on level of charge, etc.

Anyhow, seems like everyone is in agreement that EV mode as implemented is a missed opportunity.
Old 06-25-13, 10:21 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

I wouldn't call it a missed opportunity. If I wanted to drive around purely on batteries, I'd be driving an electric car. Lexus didn't really tout the virtues of EV mode that much. Personally I find its function not that beneficial. I'd rather leave it to the RXh to figure out what works best when I drive like BertL said.
Old 06-26-13, 11:25 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 564 Likes on 398 Posts

The most useful option regarding EV is the hybrid gauge, and being able to tell how much pressure on the gas pedal can be applied before the engine starts. This is something my Camry Hybrid did not have, which left me guessing. With 7 yrs of hybrid driving now under my belt, personally I find that for city driving especially in mild weather, that very slight difference in gas pedal pressure can result in a huge difference in fuel economy. A couple of degrees of movement on the hybrid gauge can mean the difference between a 35mpg+ city trip and 20mpg city trip. Obviously it's not possible to drive under the line all the time, but paying attention to it, and using it when you can, for me is a big difference in the end result.

The eco light turns on and off as the needle moves from the 2nd zone to the power zone, but it really should be for the 1st zone.
Old 06-26-13, 12:50 PM
Super Blue
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

When I first got my 450h it was really annoying to see that anytime I attempted to get into EV mode it would never be available. Now after a few months of ownership and focusing on the driving style I can get the EV mode to activate 95% of the time I wish to do so. Part of it just becomes knowing the type of conditions under which it will come on or not. Warmup is a huge factor.
Old 07-19-13, 12:27 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Had an EV mode on the Prius. It was better than on the RX. '13 has an actual button. I used it all the time to force the EV mode on parking lots or when pulling into the garage. What I don't like is that when the engine is cold, it won't go into EV, unlike the Prius that did that.
Old 07-22-13, 08:36 AM
robartin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Super Blue
Warmup is a huge factor.
Originally Posted by vlad_a
What I don't like is that when the engine is cold, it won't go into EV
This is helpful, it does actually make a very large difference if the system is warm. Much less frustrating to use now that I know this. Still wish it could go up to 40ish MPH like "manual ev mode" does.
Old 07-22-13, 08:52 AM
CometVR4
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found a use for EV mode. I had to drive into a building with multiple lifts to do some minor work. I switch it on EV right at startup and drove in without the ICE running for that initial 30 secs. Of course when I left I tried EV again and was denied.
Old 07-25-13, 08:23 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

EV mode turned into a button on the center console in '13 next to the traction control off button.
Old 09-21-13, 08:25 PM
Three60guy
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Many do not consider EV Mode of much use. However, after 8 years of hybrid use on a Prius which I had a 3rd party option installed which allowed EV Mode, I can tell you what I learned.

Most of the loss of MPG occurs during the time you accelerate from a stop. Those precious seconds are used to move a very large amount of mass. If you can select EV Mode instead of using gasoline, you will see a significant improvement in MPG.

When waiting for a stop light to change to green merely push the EV Mode button (on 2013's). Slowly accelerate to your desired speed. All of that movement of 3000 lbs or more from a stop to 25 miles per hour will be from the electric motors (if you do not accelerate too hard). Then just let it switch to gasoline at 25 mph. Your use of gasoline was not used during that enormous demand of moving your large vehicle from no movement to 25 mph. The gasoline engine will then be used for a far less demanding job resulting in higher miles per gallon. Today I traveled 40 miles and ended up with 40.2 MPG when I got home (combination of freeway and city driving). It works. Give it a try.

Cheers
Old 11-29-13, 02:32 AM
Andersaa
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Ok, I agree that EV mode shoud have been more versatile, that is - able to power tha car in electric mode at som higher speeds and with some more trottle. Nevertheless, I purcased my second Lexus hybrid a few weeks ago. We have had a CT200h for two years, and now I also exchanged the Grand Cherokee with a 2011 RX450h. I really like the EV feature. There are two situations I often find it useful: When I have to move a car out from the garage to get access to for excample my motorbike, I hit the EV within 3 seconds after starting the hybrid system. The the ICE doesn't start, and I am able to both back out of the garage and drive in again, without an uneccesary cold start of the petrol engine. When commuting home from work, I have a long downhill able to copletely regenerative charge the hybrid battery. Its a shame to hit this downhill with a full battery, so the mile prior to this downhill, I have to pass a few roundabouts and crossroads, anyway at low speed, I hit EV and is able to use more than half of the hybrid battery, making space for the regeneratet current to come.

So, The EV mode is suitable for low speed driving when you wont produce any emmision or sound, when you will spare the petrol engine from an cols start, and to optimize MGP (when possible).

Quick Reply: EV Mode