Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 3GS forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation GS models.

GS450h engine rattle / tapping when cold

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-13, 03:18 AM
SimonGUK
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS450h engine rattle / tapping when cold

Hi all

I'm in the UK and recently purchased a 2006 GS450h with 95k miles on the clock and full Lexus history.

I've had the car for approx 4 weeks after buying it privately, and the car's been fantastic (other than some very annoying dash & roof rattles) and on originally test driving and collecting the car the engine was very quiet when running on petrol.

However, after a week or so I noticed that the engine was quite noisy when cold and on acceleration it sounds like the tappets. This isn't noticeable at idle but only on light acceleration.
Once the engines warmed up (30 mins or so) the noise seems to disappear.
The previous owner had the oil changed by a local garage (not Lexus) just before I bought the car so could this be something to do with it?

The cars due a major service which I'll get carried out by Lexus, but is this engine noise normal or is it something I should be concerned about?
Cheers

Simon G
Old 09-09-13, 08:18 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

There should be a recall on your valve springs or something, please refer to the GS350 cars for more information in the search (i'm on a tight bind once again, trying to take a 2-second study break). You both share the same engine, it is just that YOUR car has an electric motor as an assistant.

GL OP!

Edit: Here is the link: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ine-start.html

Look up and see if there is a TSB on your vehicle, GL!

Last edited by XxGoKoUxX; 09-09-13 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Found Link
Old 09-16-13, 01:28 PM
SimonGUK
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reply.
Prior to buying the car I checked with Lexus uk if the car had any outstanding recalls, and specifically asked about the valve springs as this seemed to be the main one got GS450h's - they advised that this was not relevant to my car as it seems to have been an issue from 2007 onwards and my cars a 2006 model.

I've asked them to re-check as the noise does seem to be getting slightly worse, either that or I'm just listening for it more now I know it's there ?!
Cheers

Simon G
Old 09-16-13, 07:52 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

A moderator here takes requests on recall pulls on specific year cars and etc. You can post in the REGULAR forums and he may be able to pull you up whatever recall you're searching for (in the 06 range). That will tell you what's wrong. I highly doubt the engine changed from 06-07. GL OP!
Old 11-13-13, 06:21 PM
sonnyhood
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ive had the same issue since i bought it, and by accident i found a resolution.
WHen ever i park in my garage overnight i usually leave the car unlocked, next morning get in and start the engine and when its warm drive off. I hear that clanking rattling about 4/10 starts like this.
But i found once i locked the car and in the morning started it, and it did not make the sound.
WHen the car is unlocked the fuel pump does not prime the lines.
When the caris unlocked it re-primes the lines and doesnt make this sound.
Locking the car, or even lock it, wait 5 sec and unlock will re-prime the fuel line, you can hear a little 'Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzz'
This explains why sometimes its freezing cold and the car starts silently, but other times its warm (ish, in garage) and makes the clanking.
SimonGUK do you leave it unlocked overnight? if this does not help it may turn out you do have some other problem like Goku is saying.
I did have very noisy engine with non-recommended oil in it also. Mines very quiet now. I just put Penrite HPR5 and its quiet as i would expect, with HPR10 it was noisy before that god knows what oil it had.
Old 08-06-16, 04:24 AM
j0nathan
Driver School Candidate

Default GS450h 2006 48k

I've had a GS450h for about 6 years and it has developed a tapping from the engine when pulling on a incline at around 10 to 35mph.
The problem is growing worse over the last 6 months.
It seems to disappear above 40mph, perhaps because of extraneous noise levels.
It is almost metronomic in its frequency and its definitely audible to my ears.
It happens mostly on short runs but also sometimes when the engine is fully warmed up after a longish run.
I have taken up the problem with Lexus/Snows of Plymouth.
They have had the car in for diagnostics twice, once overnight so that they can experience it with a cold engine.
They claim there is nothing wrong and that they can hear nothing.
So, either I have very acute hearing -- or they are hard of hearing…
The car is still under Lexus warranty until July 2017 but I feel I should get rid of it as soon as possible.
Any suggestions which way I should go with this?