Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Remote Engine Starters: Which Packages Have?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-13, 04:19 AM
10smom
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote Engine Starters: Which Packages Have?

Does all 450h come with remote engine starters?

What packages include Remote engine starter?

How do I get one put in soon to be car if it does not have one? How much will it cost?
Old 10-04-13, 08:36 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 172 Likes on 146 Posts

Remote start is an option and is not part of any packages. Sewell sells it for $176.90 with the discount. Sign up for an account to get that price. Dealers sometimes run promotions for installation including the parts. Check around. On my 450h, it was installed at port and cost under $600.

To find out more about how remote start works, take a look at this from the 3RX FAQ thread at the top of this forum. It'll give you have a better understanding of the features and limitations before installing it.
Old 10-04-13, 08:37 AM
Mors
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remote Starts are an extra accessory. Some cars come with them because they are sent to the dealer that way. However, I believe the Luxury Package includes it as standard, but of course, the Luxury Package is somewhat rare. You can buy the Remote Start kit for $240; however, to get it installed, you're looking at about $500 total.
There is a RES+ (use your phone to start your car) which is an extra $800 (total of $1300), plus you have to pay a yearly subscription to use that feature.

Others, please chime in if I'm wrong.
Old 10-04-13, 10:01 AM
10smom
Driver School Candidate

Thanks all for the reply.

Originally Posted by Mors
There is a RES+ (use your phone to start your car) which is an extra $800 (total of $1300), plus you have to pay a yearly subscription to use that feature.

Others, please chime in if I'm wrong.
This is the one I was thinking of when created the tread. How does this compare to the Viper GPS VMS 250?

Anyone using either of these?

Which has more features?
Old 10-20-13, 01:17 PM
rsutoratos
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm interested in this as bringing a baby into a freezing car with the winter coming is bad.

The only issue I see is the hybrid that will keep turning off after a few min in cold winters.
Old 10-23-13, 06:23 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by rsutoratos
I'm interested in this as bringing a baby into a freezing car with the winter coming is bad.

The only issue I see is the hybrid that will keep turning off after a few min in cold winters.
Agreed, the factory remote start doesn't keep the car running very long, plus the additional cycling of the hybrid during that short period of time. However, there are discussions of how bad it is to leave a car idling for extended periods of time.

If you do use a factory remote start in the winter, cranking up the heat will cause the engine to cycle less, but it takes an extra effort on your part. Just as seat position can be memorized by a key fob, so can the heat/cool settings. Forgive me for not quoting a page in the manual, but set the controls to a high temperature and make your key fob memorize the seat position setting and it will memorize the temperature control settings.

If you use a third party remote, leave the heat cranked up when you get out. For example if you park outdoors at night, turn the heat up and turn off the car. In the morning, when you remote start the heat will be on full blast.

Third party remote starts can be programmed to have a longer runtime, but the hybrid will still cycle on an off during that longer runtime. If you do a search, you will find those discussions suggesting long runtimes with an idling engine is not recommended.

Finally, this is a warning Anita gave us about remote starting. Make sure you turn off your wipers the night or day before you remote start. You do not want the wipers turning on when they are ice and snow covered and frozen in place. Could lead to wiper motor failure.
Old 11-06-13, 11:16 AM
Three60guy
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is remote start integrated into the Key Fob in the Luxury option? Or does it take a totally separate remote start Fob to start up the car remotely? I ordered remote start with the Luxury option. But I told the dealer I wanted only one Key Fob. I haven't been able to track down the answer to this question hence my inclusion of this here.

Thanks and cheers
Old 11-06-13, 11:54 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Three60guy
Is remote start integrated into the Key Fob in the Luxury option? Or does it take a totally separate remote start Fob to start up the car remotely? I ordered remote start with the Luxury option. But I told the dealer I wanted only one Key Fob. I haven't been able to track down the answer to this question hence my inclusion of this here.

Thanks and cheers
OEM remote start uses the same key fob. Hence its very limited usefulness, having a whopping 30 ft of working distance.
Old 11-06-13, 04:42 PM
Three60guy
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the heads up vlad_a. 30 feet works for me. Glad to hear it's all in one key fob too.

Cheers
Old 11-07-13, 06:07 PM
cavedawg
Rookie

Here you go:

This says for the 2010 but I do not believe they have changed.
Old 11-08-13, 11:58 PM
10smom
Driver School Candidate

i want one! although I like the idea of starting from iphone better.