Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Enform weirdness

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-14 | 02:10 PM
Aptosuser
Driver

Default Enform weirdness

I was driving along, listening to music on my iPod Nano via USB when an odd thing happened. The music cut out and there was a chime, or whatever you want to call it. I pressed the off-hook button thinking a call was coming in, but there was nobody on the other end. This happened several times in the space of a few minutes. Once after I said "Hello? Hello", the Enform lady said, "Good afternoon" and used my full name. When I said "Hello?" again, she said, "I thought so." Later I checked my iPhone for recent calls, but I didn't have any for today. So what the you-know-what gives?
Old 01-27-14 | 03:25 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Your 2010 would have had Safety Connect as well as Enform for 12 months. Are you still subscribing to either or both? Regardless, try pressing the "SOS" Safety Connect button on the overhead and if an operator comes on then ask if they show a history on connections with your RX. If they don't respond (because you are not subscribed) then call 800-25 Lexus (800-255-3987) and describe the events.
Old 01-28-14 | 08:42 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Okay, you said iPhone, was it connected to your car Bluetooth? If so, here is my guess. The chime you heard is email or text notifications coming into your iPhone. The tone is just being transmitted bluetooth to your car. When you pressed and held the off-hook button, you were speaking to SIRI. SIRI knows your name as owner of the iPhone. Just wondering, when you pushed the off-hook button, did you navigation display look like you were on a call? SIRI looks like a call.

Try it and see.

Again, just guesses.
Old 01-28-14 | 09:18 AM
Aptosuser
Driver

My iPhone was connected via Bluetooth and yes, the NAV display looked like I was getting a call. But my car has an earlier version of Enform and I thought that Siri didn't work with it. I'm sure I've received emails before, but this was the first time I've heard this chime.
Old 01-29-14 | 04:13 AM
DunWkg
Racer

You are absolutely correct in the version of Lexus Enform in the 2010, 2011 and 2012 model years since August 1, 2009, SIRI does not "work". If you attempt to use SIRI to place a call, the call will look and sound like it is going to go, but it will fail.

Jim "Cruiter" and Anita will have to refresh my memory, but I don't remember an instance of SOS or Destination Assistance calling an RX without an initiating action within the car first. And as mcomer has stated, perhaps Lexus will give you a call record of the car's SOS / Destination Assistance cell service.

I'm guessing here, but I would think an SOS call or Destination Assistance call would look different than an iPhone call on the navigation display. If you have the time and occasion to try it, have the car running, music playing via USB, your iPhone connected Bluetooth, now send yourself an email. I would think when the email arrives your iPhone will chime, but it will be heard through the car's speakers. Now try invoking SIRI on the iPhone using the off-hook button on the steering wheel or the home button on the iPhone.

Be sure to let us know what happens. You've really piqued my interest.
Old 01-29-14 | 07:29 AM
Aptosuser
Driver

I will try your experiment, but only in the driveway.

P.S., I went to school in Iowa. Nice state, by the way.
Old 01-29-14 | 09:11 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Originally Posted by Aptosuser
I will try your experiment, but only in the driveway.

P.S., I went to school in Iowa. Nice state, by the way.
Good point, I should of said "engine running", although accessory mode probably would work too.

Nice state, yes, but the state of iceberg this week....brrrrr....
Old 01-29-14 | 02:24 PM
Aptosuser
Driver

Originally Posted by DunWkg
Nice state, yes, but the state of iceberg this week....brrrrr....
I know all too well about Midwest winters, having grown up in Chicago. At least the snow stays white in rural Iowa.
Old 01-29-14 | 03:25 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Aptosuser, I can't say I've experienced anything like what happened to you. I have a 5th gen iPod and the 5S. It's my understanding the only time you'd get a call from Lexus is if you had Safety Connect and were involved in an accident with airbag deployment. Since I haven't had this happen (knock on wood), I can't tell you whether there is any type of chime when they do call. The fact you have no record of any calls just adds to the mystery. I assume you checked for called numbers too. Definitely report back after trying David's suggestion.
Old 01-30-14 | 05:10 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Dave, I can't give you a really informed answer. I have the SUN-GLASS holder VS Enform . My 2010 RXh was manufactured in May of 09, the 1st month of production. Plus I have a droid VS Apple.

That said, he's been a great car so far .
Originally Posted by DunWkg
You are absolutely correct in the version of Lexus Enform in the 2010, 2011 and 2012 model years since August 1, 2009, SIRI does not "work". If you attempt to use SIRI to place a call, the call will look and sound like it is going to go, but it will fail.

Jim "Cruiter" and Anita will have to refresh my memory, but I don't remember an instance of SOS or Destination Assistance calling an RX without an initiating action within the car first. And as mcomer has stated, perhaps Lexus will give you a call record of the car's SOS / Destination Assistance cell service.

I'm guessing here, but I would think an SOS call or Destination Assistance call would look different than an iPhone call on the navigation display. If you have the time and occasion to try it, have the car running, music playing via USB, your iPhone connected Bluetooth, now send yourself an email. I would think when the email arrives your iPhone will chime, but it will be heard through the car's speakers. Now try invoking SIRI on the iPhone using the off-hook button on the steering wheel or the home button on the iPhone.

Be sure to let us know what happens. You've really piqued my interest.
Old 01-31-14 | 04:19 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

OK, I may have solved the mystery. Today I was sitting in the RXh looking at my iPhone. Parked, not moving I pressed the home button too many times by accident. Next thing I know through the speakers I hear beeps and a male voice say "Hello Anita." On the nav screen it looked like I was connected to a phone call. But on my iPhone, I see Siri was activated. I tried it again and I got a "hi there" after I said "hello." But it would 'hang up' after a few seconds. I'll have to play with it some more tomorrow.

I changed the Siri voice gender to male in case anybody was wondering
Old 01-31-14 | 04:56 PM
Aptosuser
Driver

I wasn't touching my iPhone when this happened. I was driving, listening to music on the phone's "iPod" via the USB cable at the time.