Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 6ES forum for discussion about shared components with other sixth generation ES models.

Ride Comfort ES300h

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-14, 09:38 AM
bdon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ride Comfort ES300h

I am considering buying the es 300h, but a number of the reviews have noted that the ride is not as smooth, cushioned as previous es models--bumps are more noticeable etc--Has that been the experience of owners of this model out there? thanks--
Old 03-16-14, 09:52 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

Many of those reviews, I think, come from comparisons made between previous ES models with 17 inch wheels and 2013 or 2014 ES vehicles with 18 inch wheels, and there is no question that the 18 inch wheels give a noticeably firmer ride than the 17 inch wheels. Also, older ES vehicles had recommended tire pressures of around 29 psi. For the current generation, the recommended pressure is 33 psi, and the increase in tire pressure would also result in a firmer ride. My guess would be that, if you were to compare a previous generation ES with 17 inch wheels and a current generation ES with 17 inch wheels and with both at the same tire pressure, you would be hard pressed to find a difference in ride firmness.

I previously owned a 2006 ES, and I currently own a 2013 ES (with 17 inch wheels), and, if you blindfolded me, put me in each of the two vehicles, and took me for a ride in each, I don't think I'd be able to tell you which vehicle was the 2006 and which was the 2013. What I do notice, though, is that the 2013 shows more precise handling and steering than did the 2006.
Old 03-16-14, 09:56 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by bdon
I am considering buying the es 300h, but a number of the reviews have noted that the ride is not as smooth, cushioned as previous es models--bumps are more noticeable etc--Has that been the experience of owners of this model out there? thanks--
How did the car feel to you? Since you'll be driving it, if it feels good/acceptable that's the important factor. I've read the reviews too, but it's really a personal choice. It's good that you are aware of the reviews and can check out the ride/handling carefully before purchase.
Old 03-16-14, 11:15 AM
bdon
Driver School Candidate

thanks--it sounds like you recommend the model and the ride quality was as good as previous models--I had purchased the now defunct 250hs and the ride was not quite up to lexus level--bumps very noticeable
Old 03-16-14, 12:48 PM
brittmayo
Driver

For me, if the ride were smoother or more cushioned it would be in danger of wallowing. I rather like the firm, crisp suspension and ride. It provides me with a high level of comfort without taking away the feel of the road. But I can see where others might disagree. As Bob said, it's a personal choice.
Old 03-16-14, 03:28 PM
jonmanch
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

My 2013 ES300h is my first Lexus. I have had five Infinitis, and my ES has a much smoother ride. The ride is less harsh than the Avalon which is similar in build.

My wife and I both love the car, and it is very comfortable and fuel efficient. Good luck with your choice.

Last edited by jonmanch; 03-16-14 at 04:35 PM.
Old 03-18-14, 04:49 PM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

bdon:

The heck with the reviews. As others have said, it's a personal choice. You should see if YOU like it.

I also had a HS250h, and overall the car is "night and day" in comparison to the ES300h (there's a reason it's defunct).

Last edited by Canesguy; 03-20-14 at 07:55 PM.
Old 03-18-14, 08:12 PM
bdon
Driver School Candidate

thanks for your response! I do plan on driving it for a day or so with a loaner model from my local lexus dealer but the reviews were so negative on the ride and I did not want to buy a 250hs-like ride--How would you compare your es300h ride with your previous es models or ls models?--I like the cushioned lexus feel on my father's old 94 es 350 model--but it seems people want a more sporty-tighter ride which sacrifices the ride comfort--may wait for 2015 model (not sure if any changes anticipated) and give 250hs to daughter.
Old 03-19-14, 07:47 AM
atoyota
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So much of the ride comfort in my 2013 300h depends on tire pressure. When I got the car in July, all tires were cold temp at 32 psi which usually meant 34 psi at highway speeds. When I took it in for it's 5K checkup in late Oct, they jacked the psi up to 35-36 with warm psi showing 38 and the ride was horrendously stiff. They claimed it was because they use nitrogen and when the temps drop in winter the psi would be too low. Well, we did get a little colder here in SE Texas than usual and the psi did drop some, but not enough for my tastes. I took it back in December on a cold, wet day and they adjusted the psi so it was no more than 34 psi when warm and I was happy again. When I took it in for it's 10K service last month, I told the service adviser to make sure that they did not over inflate my tires again.
Old 03-20-14, 10:53 AM
Mhobizal
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

atoyota, I just test drove 2014 ES300h and the ride comfort was incredible. I'm trying to decide if the Ultra Luxury Package is worth it for long drives. I really liked the extra leg support.

I also sent you a private message. Thanks!
Old 03-20-14, 10:59 AM
brittmayo
Driver

Originally Posted by Mhobizal
atoyota, I just test drove 2014 ES300h and the ride comfort was incredible. I'm trying to decide if the Ultra Luxury Package is worth it for long drives. I really liked the extra leg support.
I'm 6'1" and the adjustable leg support makes quite a bit of difference for me. It was a key reason I chose the ULP.
Old 03-20-14, 11:30 AM
atoyota
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by brittmayo
I'm 6'1" and the adjustable leg support makes quite a bit of difference for me. It was a key reason I chose the ULP.
I too have the UL package and agree the leg extension adds a surprising amount of comfort for the extra inch or two it provides.
Old 03-20-14, 03:00 PM
Mhobizal
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks brittmayo and atoyota! I'm also 6'. Great feedback.
Old 03-22-14, 02:02 PM
gemigniani
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by bdon
I don't own a new generation ES nor have I rented one, but I have rented two new generation Avalons and was really disappointed about how much the ride comfort and seat comfort had deteriorated from earlier generations of Avalons. In fact, on the Toyota nation forum there are multiple threads about ride and seat comfort complaints: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/31...neration-2013/ Owners have even been removing the front seats in order to install supplemental padding!

I feel literally slapped in the face by Toyota because it has abandoned its long established customer base by no longer offering ANY models that deliver a soothing, gliding on a cloud like ride. Nor any (sub $50,000) models that come standard with large sized seat bottoms that provide good thigh support.
Old 03-22-14, 09:08 PM
jonmanch
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The ES300h has a much better/smother rider compared to the Avalon.

Quick Reply: Ride Comfort ES300h