Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the LS600h L model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the LS600h. Please use the main 4LS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation LS models.

Clear Bra LS600hL

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-14, 04:36 AM
slimjimtel
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Clear Bra LS600hL

I am going to put clear bra on the front of my LS, however, I am having trouble finding a bumper kit for a 2010 LS600h L.

Is the bumper the same on the 2010 LS460L as the LS600h? I think the grills are different, but I would think the opening of the grill and the bumper would be the same.

Hood and fenders seem to be the same.

Any help?

Thanks.
Old 03-30-14, 10:17 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 507 Likes on 385 Posts

I wish I could snap a finger and magically make my car's bra transfer over to your ride. I HATE the dang thing. Sure it protects the paint some from chips, but the trade-off is a distinct line that runs down the hood and traps wax and dirt. It also does not polish out like the paint. It scratches easily and can not be buffed out like paint.

I'm that close (picture me pinching my fingers together) to removing it.

Last edited by roadfrog; 03-30-14 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-30-14, 10:39 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

The issue is that these cars chip TERRIBLY without a clear bra. I mean...1500 miles and they can be a mess depending on how you drive. I won't ever own another one without a clear bra.

I have the 1/3rd hood and fenders on the GS, next time I will get the full hood and fenders. If you feel it scratches easily, you have to shop around for the right film.

If you do remove it, I would highly recommend doing some research and replacing it with a full hood/fenders/bumper wrap.
Old 03-30-14, 11:07 AM
slimjimtel
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I won't ever own another one without a clear bra.

I'm with you in this!

When detailing, you just have to be careful about getting wax on the edge. Clear bra stands out more on black cars, especially durning high pollen seasons.
Old 03-30-14, 11:47 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

If you feel it scratches easily, you have to shop around for the right film.
It's the factory stuff which I believe is 3M. Don't imagine there's anything better.

Regardless, I've detailed it to death and that line is still distinctive and noticed by EVERYONE who otherwise admires my car. But they always come back to, "what's the matter with your hood?" The fenders are fine, as they are not as noticeable when the sun and light are on them.
Old 03-30-14, 12:06 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Xpel Ultimate is the best stuff I've seen to date, and it is supposed to be self-healing in terms of scratching. There are some interesting videos on that. I can see from their website that there's nothing "official" for the 600; what I would do is contact an installer in your area, as I am pretty sure (judging by my experience with my own installer here in MA) that they could work with you/figure something out (acknowledging that the 460 is probably 95% the same if not identical...).

http://locator.xpel.com/search/clear...North_Carolina
Old 04-01-14, 01:23 AM
AWaz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clear bra

Slimjimtel-

I think a clear bra is a great idea, it will protect the paint and look good if you have a quality installer install it.

I wouldn't order a kit from Lexus, although I believe that is what is installed on my new to me pre-owned LS. I believe these kits, the off the shelf type or the ones that you can get from Lexus Parts/Service are the most noticeable when installed on the car.

In my opinion you might want to hunt down a few installers and discuss the project. When I had one installed on my GS when I purchased the car new, it looked amazing and was not an eye sore. The way it was described to me was that the manufacturers of these films have templates for each car, but there is a certain amount of customization that goes into these installs.

When it comes to properly installing the product there is a certain process that you must follow to prep the paint so that you get a good result. Over time the bra does fade and may need to be replaced, it won't look great forever. But if properly maintained, I think it can look nice and function for quite a while.

To others points, clear bras can get wax caught on the edge. I find that the guy (Chris) who details my cars, doesn't leave any wax on the edges of the bra.

Here is the contact info for Chris, maybe he can direct you to the correct product and maybe a great installer.

http://allinthedetailsnj.com/Services_ClearBra.html

Good luck!

Old 04-01-14, 04:31 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Can someone post up a pic or two of the bad and a pic or two of the good? Thanks
Old 04-01-14, 08:27 PM
14LSSport
Driver

I got the Suntek self healing protective film. So far, loving it.

Full Hood, Fenders, Mirrors
Bumper with washers and sensors
Headlights
Splash
Door cups
Doors
Rockers
Roof, A pillars
Rear Bumper deck
Old 04-01-14, 09:37 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by greg3852
Can someone post up a pic or two of the bad and a pic or two of the good? Thanks
I'll try to get one for you.
Old 04-01-14, 11:24 PM
14LSSport
Driver

I had the 3M applied to the front of my 2008 Black Scion xB. It faded, had wax build up and looked like **** after a few years.

My buddy who owns a tint shop talked me into applying the Suntek Protective film to my new car. You can't see the lines on white unless you are real close up. So far, I have washed the car 3 times and I barley know its there.