Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Water in hybrid battery compartment via shark fin antenna

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-15, 05:03 AM
Scurvissss
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water in hybrid battery compartment via shark fin antenna

I recently purchased a 2010 RX450h with 60,000 miles on it. At some point, unbeknownst to me while on the highway, the shark fin antenna cap came off and then it started raining. Over the next couple of days, the performance of the vehicle began to deteriorate until we decided to take it to our local mechanic. We still were not aware that the shark fin cap had come off. That mechanic discovered that the cap had come off and through investigation and diagnostics, discovered that water was traveling from the hole in the antenna into the hybrid battery compartment and proceeded to fry the electronics. His estimate for repair, $1800. We decided to have the car towed to lexus dealer so that we could pursue a warranty claim w them even though the car is over the 50k mileage. Their estimate for the repair is closer to $10,000, more than 1/3rd the value of the vehicle. There are two issue here, one is the quality of the adhesive used for the shark fin cap that would allow it to come off under normal driving conditions(we never took it to a car wash or are aware of any other event that would have "knocked" it off) and the other is that the fact that water can find its way into the battery compartment like this is a major engineering and design flaw that is unacceptable. My question for the forum is, is this something that others have experienced and what has Lexus done to resolve?
Old 01-05-15, 05:24 AM
BertL
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm not aware of pervasive issues like this, but have read of at least one case where they knocked the shark fin off (and subsequently put it back on themselves with "some glue") due to their incorrectly carrying something on the top rack that caused the failure in the first place.

You can always also contact Lexus Customer Service.
Old 01-05-15, 05:45 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Mike, I purchased the very 1st RX450h in the Atlanta area that was manufactured in the 1st month of production May of 09. Like Bert I've heard of the shark fin being knocked off w/luggage but this is the 1st time I've heard of it harming the traction batteries. They are under the rear seat.

I'd definitely check another dealer and as Bert suggested call contact Lexus Customer Service

I'd also check the prior history of the car if you just purchased it. See if there is any record of damage or something involving the shark fin antenna.

The hybrid portion of the power train is the longest part of the warranty but not sure about water in the traction battery area.

Question; did you buy from a Lexus dealer or individual?
Old 01-05-15, 11:44 AM
Scurvissss
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is no "known event" that would have knocked the fin off. No sign of damage on the surrounding roof either. We didn't take the car to a car wash, which the dealer seemed to be trying to imply could have caused this. We didn't put anything on the roof. We bought the car from my brother so it's history is well known. The car has always been serviced by the dealer, oil changes and all so they know the vehicle as well. It does seem like a very fluke incident but the fact that water can make its way into the battery compartment via this avenue and basically destroy the heart of the drivetrain seems like a major engineering design screw up to me.
Old 01-05-15, 02:43 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Wow, what a story. You wouldn't want to leave your rear windows open and have it rain.

How in the world does the water get to the battery electronics/electrical without soaking the underside of the roof?
Old 01-05-15, 03:01 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

The Shark Fin antenna story doesn't make a lot of sense. I agree, it would soak the roofliner first.

The good news is that the battery is located under the seat. The trunk, where most electronics are, has lower floor, so that's where water would go. Hopefully, the battery is not affected.

I would start inspecting what is really damaged. Where are the water spots? Once affected modules are identified, I would start scavenging junk-yards for replacements.

As far as going by the dealer estimate, I would not trust them. Their take is usually replace everything to "properly" do a proper repair. A tech will open the repair manual and will just circle all parts in the affected area, LOL. I went though this with a Toyota dealer a few cars ago. Needless to say, the DIY repair cost was a very small fraction in comparison to their estimate.

Meanwhile, I would talk to your insurance company. This may be something that is covered under comprehensive coverage, as the fin was physically broken off, which caused extensive damage.

I would also check if this vehicle has had body work done. Something doesn't add up.
Old 01-07-15, 11:17 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Can you elaborate on how performance on the vehicle has suffered and if there were any warning lights or messages?